official danley sound labs thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #181 of 335 Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
I have two QSC RMX amps right now ... got a 2450 used ($300) to power the L and R SH50s and had a 1450 that I am using for the C SH50

I modified the fans on both (about 5 minutes of work) and the amps seem to deliver more than enough

I am figuring that no one will ever need more than 2 watts sustained at 13-15 feet back with the 100 db sensitivity of these bad boys ... so how much headroom is required for dynamics and such?
I thought the 3000W amp that was recommended is a bit overkill, especially at $3850. Time is on my side so I can shop around for amps and the pre/pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 335 Old 10-24-2014, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi any Danley owners here in the UK?
post #183 of 335 Old 01-03-2015, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Do you have the option for active/powered versions for all Danley speakers (including subwoofers)?
post #184 of 335 Old 01-03-2015, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 150
All Danley designs can be made with built in amps.
post #185 of 335 Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I am considering the Danley Sm-96 is a possible floor standing "center" channel for my home theater setup. I have Avantgarde Trio horns for main speakers and I think it is very likely that another horn speaker for the center would be a close match.

The SM-96 is exactly the right size for the space that I have under my screen while also having sufficient SPL and sensitivity to compete with my main speakers.

Any thoughts on this or another Danley that might be a better choice? Or really any other center horn speaker suggestions? I have looked at klipsch and JBL to some degree. I haven't heard any of these in my own home.

Blazar!
post #186 of 335 Old 01-14-2015, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I would use the next model up but directivity depends on your rooms seating. I would suggest a SH64 but if your placing the SH below you may need more area so maybe a SH69.
post #187 of 335 Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone selling some Danley's?
post #188 of 335 Old 01-15-2015, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Any thoughts on this or another Danley that might be a better choice? Or really any other center horn speaker suggestions? I have looked at klipsch and JBL to some degree. I haven't heard any of these in my own home.
I will chime in only because I am a fellow horn lover, have heard the Duo's a couple times (not the Trios) and own SM-60Fs for my HT system.

Somewhere I saw a link where you could simulate the pattern control that you wanted. Were you looking to use the center 90 wide and 60 tall, or flipped? I'd likely go 90 wide as that pattern would suit more rooms and minimize floor and ceiling (more ceiling if you are placing on floor) bounce. If you find the link you might want to play around as a narrower pattern might not be a bad thing in your room to minimize side wall reflections.

Can it keep up with Avantgarde speakers? Yes, most definitely. They won't dig as deep as your system as a whole, but at least as deep as the Trio without subs as the large horn IIRC has a cutoff somewhere around 100+hz.

I would have opted for the SH50s if my room were bigger, but the SM60Fs fit my space and room size better. Looks like you have the same space constraint.

What are you running your Trios on, amplification wise?

I have no idea if the Trios and the Synergies would match well synergy wise, I'd guess that it would be close enough for HT content. Everytime I heard the Duo's we were running them on SET amps and I've never run the SM60s on SETs. You could always use a bit of EQ to match tonality if necessary.

I've heard of a few folks who sold big Avantgarde speakers to buy the SH50s after hearing them, so I don't think you will be disappointed in their performance. The constant directivity of a Synergy together with the superb coherency of of the design makes it a perfect center channel.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #189 of 335 Old 01-15-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexar View Post
Anyone selling some Danley's?
I may consider selling my custom zebra wood finished all active 7 channel setup.

I bought these from a fellow AVS member over a year ago for a dedicated theater room that never panne out. Prior to these I had 3 GR Research LS9 line arrays, and Salk HT-3 and the Danleys are my favorite spaker I've had in my room to date.

They consist of 3 active SH100B, and 4 active SH100s. Just get a processor with XLR outs and your ready to go.

Let me know if anyone is interested? If not no big deal as I really don't want to get rid of them but other obligations are putting my dedicated room in hold for the foreseeable future,

post #190 of 335 Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Ace of Bass

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
HMmmm sh100's you say? Holler at me a price, I might want to try all 4

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
post #191 of 335 Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
HMmmm sh100's you say? Holler at me a price, I might want to try all 4
Unfortunately I would be looking to sell this as a package deal if I do sell.

post #192 of 335 Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I will chime in only because I am a fellow horn lover, have heard the Duo's a couple times (not the Trios) and own SM-60Fs for my HT system.

Somewhere I saw a link where you could simulate the pattern control that you wanted. Were you looking to use the center 90 wide and 60 tall, or flipped? I'd likely go 90 wide as that pattern would suit more rooms and minimize floor and ceiling (more ceiling if you are placing on floor) bounce. If you find the link you might want to play around as a narrower pattern might not be a bad thing in your room to minimize side wall reflections.

Can it keep up with Avantgarde speakers? Yes, most definitely. They won't dig as deep as your system as a whole, but at least as deep as the Trio without subs as the large horn IIRC has a cutoff somewhere around 100+hz.

I would have opted for the SH50s if my room were bigger, but the SM60Fs fit my space and room size better. Looks like you have the same space constraint.

What are you running your Trios on, amplification wise?

I have no idea if the Trios and the Synergies would match well synergy wise, I'd guess that it would be close enough for HT content. Everytime I heard the Duo's we were running them on SET amps and I've never run the SM60s on SETs. You could always use a bit of EQ to match tonality if necessary.

I've heard of a few folks who sold big Avantgarde speakers to buy the SH50s after hearing them, so I don't think you will be disappointed in their performance. The constant directivity of a Synergy together with the superb coherency of of the design makes it a perfect center channel.
I only have room to place the speaker horizontally. will this orientation provide the wider dispersion? All my side walls are treated well so i dont think reflections are a concern.

Running my avantgarde trios on a pass labs xa 30.8 which works excellent. I really dont want to bother with sets and whatnot.

The SM96 (molded model) is the speaker that will actually fit best. The SH96 will be too large and wont fit under the screen.

Applying EQ to the center is not a problem and generally audyssey does a decent job with that via the AVR.
post #193 of 335 Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

I think you will be very happy with the SM96 as a center.

I just got my 3rd SM60F and 2 SH-minis. I originally only ordered 2 SM60F. I dealt with Integrity Communications Group in Halton Hills, ON both times. If anyone is in Canada and interested in DSL's offerings, these guys are super awesome guys and really a pleasure to deal with.

I haven't gotten the system all set up yet, but I am slightly surprised that SH-minis aren't looked at more often for surround options. They really seem to fit the bill for hi-end surrounds for "big" systems and aren't terribly large.

post #194 of 335 Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
I haven't gotten the system all set up yet, but I am slightly surprised that SH-minis aren't looked at more often for surround options. They really seem to fit the bill for hi-end surrounds for "big" systems and aren't terribly large.
Oh. My. God. Don't you just know that all surrounds should be Quadripoles, Quintipoles or more? Find a random shape and shove a driver on each face and be prepared for surround perfection.
AudioJosh likes this.
post #195 of 335 Old 01-27-2015, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd love to get four SH-mini to use for ceiling mounted atmos speakers. I've never see them in person, from the pics and the odd shape of the cabinet it seems they wouldn't work? Any thoughts on ceiling mounting these? (My ceilings are only 8 feet)

post #196 of 335 Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't be the best to help you out there. I am only just moving from 2.1 to 5.2. You might ask Ivan Beaver what he thinks.

post #197 of 335 Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used to have 2 micros for surrounds in my 5.2 system. They sounded great and got plenty loud! According to Danley's measurements on their website the micros seem to have a much smoother FR than the mini, if that matters to you. I would imagine they would mount to a ceiling easier than the mini's as well. Either way you cant go wrong with the Danley's, man I really miss my old system.

Forin
post #198 of 335 Old 02-04-2015, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi, anyone on this thread from the UK or Western Europe? I am interested in listening to a Danleys set up, if anyone is on, please let me know and would like to drop by for a quick listen
post #199 of 335 Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I did order the SM96 and it is a speaker that is basically built upon ordering (from what I've been told). I should be able to provide some insight into how well it blends with my other horn main speakers. I also need to figure out how much "floor bounce" I am going to get since this thing has to be placed on the floor. I can angle it up about 10 degrees as well which should reduce some floor reflection. There will be a rug across a significant portion of the floor between the speakers and the seating.

If I angle a bit higher, perhaps 30 degrees, it might look odd but there would even be less floor reflection to worry about and it would still be hitting the main listening position within its 60 degree vertical directivity angle.

Blazar!
post #200 of 335 Old 03-21-2015, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Dont know where your seating distance is but since it will be on the floor are you going to treat the ceiling reflection point for the center?

Figure it will most likely be a different point than your L/R. Seems like 90 x 60 would be perfect for a center of wall placement but since this is on floor things are different. As always just curious.
post #201 of 335 Old 03-22-2015, 04:01 PM
Ace of Bass

On another note, Ivan is back again talking about the new horn that is basically the refined 60f. Hey Ivan, got anything more to share here?

HT seats for sale!
post #202 of 335 Old 03-30-2015, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
On another note, Ivan is back again talking about the new horn that is basically the refined 60f. Hey Ivan, got anything more to share here?
I requested a price quote on a pair of SM60Fs thru a local distributor. I also asked him to inquire about the rumored HT version of the SM60F. He said they "could not confirm that one is in the works but did confirm that it will not be released in 2015 as the lines are set for the year". I'm still trying to decide if I should go for the current SM60Fs or wait. I'm afraid the resale value on the current SM60Fs may go down quite a bit when the new ones come out.
post #203 of 335 Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Resale might go down in a HT forum but not anywhere else.
post #204 of 335 Old 03-31-2015, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

In my case, I am using an AT screen and putting the SM60Fs behind, so if it is mostly aesthetic changes, I don't really care much. Don't get stuck in analysis paralysis. DSL speakers are amazing. If the new ones are even more amazing that is cool too, but I'll still be happy with mine.

post #205 of 335 Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
I requested a price quote on a pair of SM60Fs thru a local distributor. I also asked him to inquire about the rumored HT version of the SM60F. He said they "could not confirm that one is in the works but did confirm that it will not be released in 2015 as the lines are set for the year". I'm still trying to decide if I should go for the current SM60Fs or wait. I'm afraid the resale value on the current SM60Fs may go down quite a bit when the new ones come out.
Agree with Chrap, resale should be just fine, just post them on a pro-sound board.

Quote:
In my case, I am using an AT screen and putting the SM60Fs behind, so if it is mostly aesthetic changes, I don't really care much. Don't get stuck in analysis paralysis. DSL speakers are amazing. If the new ones are even more amazing that is cool too, but I'll still be happy with mine.
Actually, I am not aware of any aesthetic changes to the HT version, they are just refining the crossover, shooting for more extension down low, and overall just shooting for a more "HT" friendly type application from what I have gathered so far. If the price-point is similar to the current sm60f, I will likely order three to play around with against the sh50's to really see the differences head to head.

HT seats for sale!
post #206 of 335 Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Actually, I am not aware of any aesthetic changes to the HT version, they are just refining the crossover, shooting for more extension down low, and overall just shooting for a more "HT" friendly type application from what I have gathered so far. If the price-point is similar to the current sm60f, I will likely order three to play around with against the sh50's to really see the differences head to head.
If they're changing the crossover but keeping the drive units and horn the same, which I'd expect giving the cost of a new horn mold, then chances are they'd offer the new xover as an upgrade...

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #207 of 335 Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Ace of Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
If they're changing the crossover but keeping the drive units and horn the same, which I'd expect giving the cost of a new horn mold, then chances are they'd offer the new xover as an upgrade...
I never popped the hood on my 60f's, but if they are anything like the 50's, There are crossover components randomly strewn all over behind the horn, there really is no "Board" like in traditional speakers...Well sort of I guess:

HT seats for sale!
post #208 of 335 Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 499
^^^^Wow, that looks like me and my golf buddies had a bunch of spare parts, a few too many beers and just threw together a Frankenstein speaker....but as you know first hand, they sound terrific from all accounts.
post #209 of 335 Old 03-31-2015, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It makes sense the changes in the new SM60Fs may be mostly in the Xovers. I read on another forum that the caps in the current version are somewhat compromised musically in order for them to handle the large signals in their intended pro applications.
post #210 of 335 Old 03-31-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Am I right in counting 12 inductors? (10 air core 2 cored)?

To me, that looks like one board (the green PCB) that can be popped out and replaced.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Danley Sound Labs , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , D H Labs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page