official danley sound labs thread - Page 9 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #241 of 266 Old 04-07-2015, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
I actually ran 2.1 for more than a year, so yeah I did run without center, but not in the current setup. Imaging is really good, but I found the sweet spot a little too narrow at my relatively close seating distance.
Hi Josh,

How far did you have them toed in? I had mine in a 2.1 configuration for several years and the sweet spot was huge. I had them up against the side walls and "toed in" in front of the main listener position as recommended by Tom Danley. This article describes the process. Having said that, I agree that with a large screen in place, I want a center channel. I added a third SM60F for my theater build.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 266 Old 04-07-2015, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 93
My problem was that my couch was only 8' back and the speakers were ~6' apart on either side of my plasma. I toed them in plenty. Now, I have completely flipped the room layout and sit 12' back from a 109" AT screen and all three are behind the screen.
mikela likes this.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #243 of 266 Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Got my sm96 and it is working out great as a center and integrated well with the rest of horn front soundstage even though they aren't perfectly timbre matched.
post #244 of 266 Old 04-18-2015, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Awesome, glad to read it's worked out for you. The Danley's I've heard have a unique sonic signature, so it doesn't surprise me the "timbre" doesn't match.
post #245 of 266 Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

During the level matching pink noise, its obvious the sm96 is different from avantgarde trios.

It does sound good although hard to compare since i dont have a stereo pair.

Another member mentioned that they prefered sh50/60 to the trios. I'm not so sure about that, but I don't doubt the SH50/60 sound great for a fraction of the price. Cosmetically, the danleys would be much better off hidden for most people.

The trios do best crossed at 120hz which means you need very good sub integration. The danleys may not have as much of an issue on this front.

I find the SM96 does well crossed over at around 60-80hz but I haven't experimented with that much yet. I am powering it with a channel of my NAD M27.

Voice clarity is quite decent but I still seem to like the center punched up a couple of decibels above the rest of the system. I suspect this has more to do with movie to movie variations in center channel mixing more than anything else. In the history of home theater I have not escaped that problem... Perhaps with atmos if voices eventually get recorded as an object on home discs.

Tested this on Interstellar and Unbreakable and both sounded pretty damn good.

I feel like the floor placement of this speaker upside down worked well so that I am not getting too much floor reflections. If i redesigned my theater I would prefer the center behind a screen... But too late now. Floor placement is less than ideal but the directional control of the speaker reduces floor reflections when pointed a bit higher than the sitting position.

You could defintely do a home theater with the SM series without going to the SH series and get a very good dynamic range sound in a relatively compact box (SH being much bigger).
post #246 of 266 Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Danleys have outstanding dynamics. I don't doubt the SM96 sounds very good as I have had the SM60F and SH50 in my room.

It sounds as though it might be giving your Duo's a bit of a run for their money .

I have been to a number of GTG's and speaker comparos over the years, but I have discovered at home what I think is the most sensitive and revealing way to highlight differences between two speakers. Now granted, this works so well in my system because I have networked amps that I can control with my laptop at the LP as I'm listening in real time - so not sure how you can pull of something similar in your system.

But what I've done with a couple of different speakers so far is to replace one of my M2's in my stereo pair with the speaker under test(SUT). I then closely level match both speakers at the LP. Now they are a stereo pair. Then I start listening to content and alternate the muting of each speaker amp, back and forth. For example, in a pattern like this: Stereo>mute SUT>Stereo>mute M2 and then Stereo>mute M2>Stereo>mute SUT with slow and quick progression. The stereo listening in between kind of "cleanses the audio palette". Doing it both ways is necessary since the brain is so incredibly adept at coloring our perception of what we hear that there is actually a difference in perception depending on the order!

The instantaneous switching from stereo to each speaker is incredibly revealing and drives home how incredibly, incredibly(did I mention incredibly) short our listening memory is. Differences in detail and clarity are revealed in a way I have never heard before and that are impossible to capture any other way. It also reveals how the mind works because in stereo the brain filters the sound of the lesser speaker and what is heard is the better speaker. As well, within seconds of listening to the lesser speaker on its own the brain compensates and supplies detail that is clearly NOT there as revealed by the instantaneous switching. Weird stuff for sure. This test has pretty much ruined the typical GTG "speaker swap" testing for me as I realize that anything more than just a couple of seconds or so and the ability to reveal differences between speakers is lost.

So just an idea if you're interested in really capturing the differences between the Danley and Duos.
post #247 of 266 Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Man....I love your taste in speakers Gooddoc!!!!
post #248 of 266 Old 04-19-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

i can attempt the test you are describing using the fader on itunes airplay and swap quite easily. I will give it a go at some point and get an approximate comparison.
post #249 of 266 Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 143
blazar do you have one row of seating?

I was guessing yes but not sure.
post #250 of 266 Old 04-20-2015, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
Man....I love your taste in speakers Gooddoc!!!!
Thanks man!
post #251 of 266 Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
blazar do you have one row of seating?

I was guessing yes but not sure.
yeah just one row of 5 seats, why?

Blazar!
post #252 of 266 Old 04-24-2015, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I only asked because your center is on the floor so I would imagine that may have been a problem for the second row. BUT it would only be a high frequency drop off I would imagine for the second row. Or possibly more depending on the angle. Just curious was all.
post #253 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

So far the SM96 is the best Center channel experience I have personally had to date. It really is as dynamic as you would expect without calling any attention to itself. Of course the efficiency is excellent, I use a -10db xlr pad out of my marantz 8801 processor and the final level setting on my center channel ends up being 0db.

Long ago, I have also heard Legacy Audio speakers all around with air motion tweeters which left a lasting impression on the impressive realism of sound effects coming out of those speakers.

Interstellar out of the SM96 was straight up awesome with fairly clear dialogue but I am running the center channel about 2db higher than what audyssey always sets. There is no harshness or fatigue out of these speakers.

I have a few more inches under my screen so I am going to make a stand out of wood to raise the speaker off the floor a bit more. Right now I have the speaker about an inch off the floor using some small video game boxes.

I definitely prefer the speaker with the front perforated metal screen off.
In the dark, the black finish nearly dissapears during a movie which is nice.

As usual, the neutrik connector is nice... Too bad all speakers don't have them. This should be a high end standard, especially for high end consumer speakers.
post #254 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Just watched TRON II again with the SM96 ... and damn I have never had it sound so impressive. It sounds heavenly.

My brother has a B&W HTM1 center channel speaker that I used to use and it is simply anemic in comparison. There is simply no comparison.

In fact, my horn front soundstage sounds VASTLY better than the B&W 802D + HTM1 setup across the street.

If I build a theater again, I would do even more Danley's across the front. Perhaps a triple center channel dolby atmos setup.

Danley SM96's around the whole room would be impressive.
mikela likes this.

Blazar!
post #255 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Blazar,
have you taken any pics of your theater with the new Danley. Are you using that speaker between your big horn mains?
post #256 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Blazar,
have you taken any pics of your theater with the new Danley. Are you using that speaker between your big horn mains?
Here are couple: windows opened and closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1429985010220.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	685633   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1429985037783.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	685641  
post #257 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Super clean front end, very effective looking blackout shades as well. I also see your concealed drop down screen. Very nice.
post #258 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
Yeah, awesome room man! Just speakers, Love it!!
post #259 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
All I can ay is...wow!
post #260 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks guys, the danley does look like some sort of black monolith in the middle... too hard to hide it now!

Blazar!
post #261 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 01:56 PM

As far as hiding it is concerned, I can see a pearl colored grill cloth to match your mains. I can also see hiring one of those painters who are good at making things disappear into the background. That would be a cool illusion if it worked.
post #262 of 266 Old 04-25-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
As far as hiding it is concerned, I can see a pearl colored grill cloth to match your mains. I can also see hiring one of those painters who are good at making things disappear into the background. That would be a cool illusion if it worked.
The grill cloth idea sounds great actually, will look for some!
post #263 of 266 Old Today, 06:48 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked: 1246
Quote:
My goodness Blazar, I already thought your room was impressively done and over the top. I had no idea those were windows! I would love to get some sunshine into my space like that on occassion. Zero windows=slightly depressing on really pretty days outside. Absolutely gorgeous. I look at that and feel like if I sat there for a bit I would transport back to a classic greek bath-house or the video game God of War or something

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #264 of 266 Old Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Quote:
My goodness Blazar, I already thought your room was impressively done and over the top. I had no idea those were windows! I would love to get some sunshine into my space like that on occassion. Zero windows=slightly depressing on really pretty days outside. Absolutely gorgeous. I look at that and feel like if I sat there for a bit I would transport back to a classic greek bath-house or the video game God of War or something
Oh yes thanks so much. The windows do make a tradeoff where I can't do a center channel in the wall. A roll down at screen is triple the proce too which had a role in the decision process.

My previous house had the classic matte black room with no sunshine at all and that makes the place feel musty over time. Also it is more depressing and you are prone to fall asleep instantly while listening to music.

The windows have a view of the small lake in back.

If I had to do it over again, I would spend extra on the AT screen, make enough room for a danley speaker between yhe windows (the sm96 is probably the smallest spreaker you can get away with for really great sound).

I would have liked skylights that could be closed with shades but we have hail issues in out area which would be a major no-no for glass skylights.

Windows on the side of the room or back of the room create too many acoustic issues to bother with IMO. This is especially true if the windows are at refleftion points and even more of a problem if they are asymetrically located.

A center speaker that came up from a pedestal in the floor would be pimp but that presents another potential maintenace or foundation issue that I am not willing to deal with.

The floor center was the compromise ... It is the most acoustically and visually most annoying thing about my room which is otherwise nearly perfect on every other surface.
post #265 of 266 Old Today, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Love your decor, Blazar. Really my cup of tea. Like already said, I'd look for acoustic fabric, maybe from Guilford of Maines, or similar to make them blend in, but otherwise wouldn't be too worried.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #266 of 266 Old Today, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried acoustic fabric with GOM the same as the rest of my room. It looks ok with the lights on, but with the lights off, it becomes too reflective and distracts from the screen.

The blackness of the speaker's matte finish is beneficial in the dark when immersion is best with it black. Decided to leave the thing alone ultimately... Thanks for the suggestion to cover it in fabric though. It was worth a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Danley Sound Labs , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , D H Labs