Help With Setup: Liked Paradigm Monitor 9 and DefTech 7006, What Else Is Similar? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I listen to movies 70% and music 30%.
Not sure about dimensions of my living room but it is pretty small. There is a wall on the right side and on the left is open to the dining/kitchen area.

Sub:

I currently have an eD A2-300 sub on the way.

Receiver:
I have listened to the Denon 1910/790, Yamaha 665, and H/K 2600, but am leaning on the Onkyo 707 to buy. I like the ease of use of the Onkyo and the power it has. Seems like it puts out more bass than the others. My second place is the H/K, but worried about the HDMI switching issues. I can get the Onkyo for $500 refurb. Is that a good deal, or can I get it new for about that much?

Speakers:
I'm looking to do a 5.1 setup and have the .1 in my eD sub, so looking for 5 speakers. Here's what I've auditioned so far. . .
Paradigm Monitor 11 - Love the highs, prob my favorite highs. Even though the woofers were huge, I wasnt impressed by the midbass. (Monitor 9's are more in my price range, but they didnt have them on the floor to demo). Whats the difference between the Monitor 9 v3 and the current v5 or 6?
B&W 684 - Sounded really nice, but I liked the highs of the Paradigm more. B&W is very laid back and neutral, which is good, but I like a little more spice.
Klipsch ??? Towers - Tweeters are a bit too harsh. I liked the Paradigm tweeters best.
Definitive Tech 7006 - MidBass from the built in powered sub blew the other speakers away. I feel if I get these, I can use the built in sub for awesome midbass and still use my eD A2-300 for my sub bass. I need to listen to these again because I was paying more attention to the midbass of these and not the tweeters. I would like to compare the tweeters of these to the Paradigm Monitors. Also I see there are a handfull of Def Tech 200x towers used for sale online. How do these compare to the 700x towers that I listened to? Are they just the earlier version of them, but with similar sound that I can get for much cheaper?
Polk ??? Towers at Frys - Just average

I'm planning to go listen to Energy speakers at another dealer this weekend as I've heard good things about them. Any others comparable to the Paradigm Monitor 9's and Def Tech 7006 that I should listen to while I'm at local audio shops this weekend? I haven't found Infinity Primus yet either which I planned to listen to.

I know there were a lot of questions up there, but any suggestions/advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Updated subject to be more representative of post. Any help much appreciated.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You could audition the PSB series (Canadian-built), or venture into the Studio 60 line of Paradigm. The Studio 60's would be a better mid's sound over Monitor series.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

You could audition the PSB series (Canadian-built), or venture into the Studio 60 line of Paradigm. The Studio 60's would be a better mid's sound over Monitor series.

Agreed - I'd go with bookshelves (20s) if needed in order to get into the Studio line. Also Monitor Audio is worth a listen.

Ron
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
And Saturday Night Audio has PSB and Monitor Audio on sale...

post #6 of 6 Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know the difference between the Definitive Technology 700x and 200x?

I heard and liked the 7006. I see the 2002, 2004, and 2006 used online, but i dont see them on the DefTech website. Are they just the old version of the 700x that sound similar?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page