Bowers & Wilkins MT Series or Orb? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setting up a 5.1 home theater surround system. Just looking for something small with great sound. Probably going to pair with an Onkyo 607 or Pioneer 1019.

Any thoughts on how the B&W Mini Theater Series (either MT-10 or MT-20) stacks up against Orb?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...nfid=821&sc=ht

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2010, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioboss View Post

Setting up a 5.1 home theater surround system. Just looking for something small with great sound. Probably going to pair with an Onkyo 607 or Pioneer 1019.

Any thoughts on how the B&W Mini Theater Series (either MT-10 or MT-20) stacks up against Orb?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...nfid=821&sc=ht

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=32

b&w hands down, the orb gives me that bose feeling
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I went to pick up some gear one time, and the dude had those little B&W speakers with an Arcam AVR 250? And I was blown away by the SQ. Very smooth, balanced sounding, of course he was using a B&W sub to go with it..

Djoel
post #4 of 4 Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Liked: 10
Haven't heard the Orb speakers, but I have a 3.1 setup consisting of 3 B&W M-1's and a Polk PSW10 (I know I know, barf, I'm looking to upgrade). It's driven by a Denon AVR-2309CI and I couldn't be happier the past year with the B&W's. The subwoofer is a different story and I'm dying to upgrade.

It should be noted that my setup is in a garden apartment living room thats about 20x25. the B&W's fill the room nicely and I can't wait to get another 2 so I can complete my 5.1 setup. We're moving into a single family home in the next month though and for some reason I've got the upgrade fever and am looking at bookshelf size speakers like the 685's or the Paradigm Studio 10's...we'll see how the M-1's fair in my new media room before I get ahead of myself!

When I demoed at my retailer I got an opportunity to checkout a few set of speakers in the size range of the B&W M-1's. What I can remember were a set of Anthony Gallo satellites that look a lot like those Orbs and all I can remember was, "Wow, they sound even smaller than they look." Thin, brittle, lacking in any sort of midrange and you can forget about bass.

However, the B&W M-1's sound so much fuller than their size would have you believe. I would recommend not skimping on a subwoofer like I did. It was an impulse buy, I was out of money at the time and haven't been able to upgrade my Polk PSW10.

I find the M-1's have excellent clarity for their price and when paired with a receiver that has Audyssey EQ they become even more revealing. Let's be honest, the M-1's aren't and will never be a replacement for an actual bookshelf speaker. But if you're looking for something in a stylish and sleek package that doesn't disappoint, then the M-1's are for you.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page