Paradigm Mini Monitor or Energy RC10 as bookshelfs best for an Apartment? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With small foootprint speakers like the Takes, the RC Micros and RC Minis in my expeience there is no reason to go the soundbar route. Soundbars are a legitimate option if you can't or prefer not to have a reciever. I went from a soundbar to the Take Classics and now I have the RC Mini and it really is no contest in terms of sound quality. On top of that even with the placement limitations of your equipment rack, small L/C/R speakers will give you a wider stage and more separation than most soundbars. I have my RC Minis on 5 ft. wide glass desk which is not ideal but they still sound great. Just make sure you position the left and right speakers as close to the outer edge of you rack as possible,and raise the speakers as close to ear height as possible and you will fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Atlantic Technology products I linked are not powered soundbars, but are instead a combined L/C/R solution. One of them has the enclosure subdivided into 3 chambers. While they are still a compromise by design... they seem to be a much better option than a standard soundbar you see from Vizio, Polk, ect...but probably at alot of added expense.

I don't know anything about the Aperion product, other than they are working on releasing it soon.

Like I said... if it were me - I'd find a way to make it work with traditional speakers. I was only giving other options for the OP since he is restricted to placement on the TV stand only. I'm not saying I recommend them, since I've never heard them personally... just presenting him with the option. He'd have to look elsewhere for opinions/reviews.

That said, erniec made a good recommendation, which I can't believe I didn't think of - the Energy RC-Mini would be a good upgrade in SQ and still provide easier placement than larger monitor/bookshelf options. Placement would still be closer than ideal though...

Two RC-Mini Centers oriented vertically at the front corners of the stand is probably alot better, and WAY cheaper than the Atlantic speakers. I recommend the RC-Mini Center over the bookshelves because they extra woofer helps with some bass extension, and would allow the OP to use a 100-110Hz or so xover insted of 120Hz or higher... This relieves the sub from having to play some of those higher frequencies, and helps with bass localization.
post #33 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

I just bought a pair of paradigm mini monitors v6 off eBay for $334 shipped brand new. Very good deal in my opinion so I might as well get the RC10s next week with my savings and compare both of them that same week. After that I have no choice but to put them on the glass stand with rubber feet to help reduce any vibrations. I do not need a perfect, precise placement. As long as there is a noticeably better sound difference, I will be very happy.

Thank you buzzy_, batpig, alphaiii, erniec and the rest of you guys for your input and recommendations. I will update this thread when I get to audition both pairs to let you guys know which one I liked better and why.
post #34 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
that should be a fun audition please do report back with your results!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #35 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Kartoon,

Although I havent heard the Paradigm Minis I am sure they will sound good. I do know that the sound I am getting with a Denon 590 reciever paired with Energy RC Minis is quite amazing, My main system is a pretty expensive Vienna Acoustics setup with high end electronics. With music and movies the overall quality and refinement of the Energy system is pretty close, and in some respects better, just on a smaller scale.
post #36 of 38 Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It will be interesting to hear more about those two pairs of speakers.

kartoon, don't forget about the suggestion of putting them on something that will raise them a little, if you can. Tweeter height for a seated person is about 36". Do what you can. Some people tilt them up a little if raising isn't possible. At least, try something temporary (but stable!) and see what you hear at the different heights.

The RC Minis are a great little speaker but if someone can manage the RC 10s, that's the way to go. Other than a smaller footprint, the RC Mini isn't going to help with the placement and may in fact be worse on a stand like that.
post #37 of 38 Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoon2005 View Post

I just bought a pair of paradigm mini monitors v6 off eBay for $334 shipped brand new. Very good deal in my opinion so I might as well get the RC10s next week with my savings and compare both of them that same week. After that I have no choice but to put them on the glass stand with rubber feet to help reduce any vibrations. I do not need a perfect, precise placement. As long as there is a noticeably better sound difference, I will be very happy.

Thank you buzzy_, batpig, alphaiii, erniec and the rest of you guys for your input and recommendations. I will update this thread when I get to audition both pairs to let you guys know which one I liked better and why.

Yo Kartoon, any update with the comparison? Did you ever do a write up on your thoughts of the Mini-Monitor vs the RC-10?
post #38 of 38 Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

As far as harshness you might be hearing, it's most part of Paradigm's signature sound where the midrange & highs stay fairly linear off-axis. You will hear this sound from the lowest priced to the highest priced offering Paradigm delivers.

The RC-10s have a more traditional treble roll-off.

Interesting you chose to compare the Soundstage measurements of the Paradigm Studio S1 v.2, a $1500 pair of speakers, to the Energy RC-10, a $600 (MSRP) pair...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page