tweeter height - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
For those of you with risers, at what height did you place the tweeter of your front speakers? Should mine be at:

1. Ear height of the front row?
2. In between ear height of the front row and ear height of the back row?

Ear height for me seems to range from 43" when reclined to 48" when not reclined. My riser will be about 13" high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
you want to use a general average height. It becomes a little less critical the further back you sit from the speakers and the sound forms a dispersion cone which grows larger as the sound travels further from the speaker.

A point Dolby does not make in their setup is the horizontal centerline of the HDTV screen. Your visual center is on that centerline and the audio should be centered on it as well.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That makes sense. So if minimum ear height is 43" for the 1st row (reclined) and 61" is the max ear height for the back row (48" unreclined + 13" riser height), the tweeter should be around 52" (half way between min & max). Does that sound right?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
that is the average height for the seated listeners....what is the horizontal centerline height of the screen/TV ?

also, how often with the second row of seating be used ? If the front row is used far more than the 2nd, then you may want to bias the height calculation more towards the "most used" seating.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

That makes sense. So if minimum ear height is 43" for the 1st row (reclined) and 61" is the max ear height for the back row (48" unreclined + 13" riser height), the tweeter should be around 52" (half way between min & max). Does that sound right?

If you really wanted to get exact ... what you've done would equalize the height variation but not (because of the varying distances) the angle. It is the angle off-axis that affects performance, not the distance off axis.

That means something lower than halfway between the front and back.

Plus, the sound is going to suck in the back row anyway with all the obstructions ... might as well have the front row sound good.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

that is the average height for the seated listeners....what is the horizontal centerline height of the screen/TV ?

also, how often with the second row of seating be used ? If the front row is used far more than the 2nd, then you may want to bias the height calculation more towards the "most used" seating.

I'm still tweaking riser and screen heights, but right now it looks like the horizontal centerline of the screen will be around 61"+/-. This puts the horizontal line through the bottom 1/3 of the screen at 52"+/-, which also happens to be the average between the min ear height of the front row and the max ear ht of the back row. I will most likely cheat this back down to 48", which is the height of my ear in the front row when not reclined.

While we are discussing tweeter heights, how should I tackle the side & rear surrounds? I've seen recommendations of 1'-2' above ear height. Since my side surround is between the two rows, should it be 2' above first row ears and 1'+/- above back row ears? Would the rear surrounds then jump up to 2' above back row ears or should side & rear surrounds be the same height?