Is this Jamo Quality? - blown out Jamo S606's cheap tweeter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
theVatansever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, this is my first message in this forum, i just wanted to warn other people about to buy jamo s606...


before




after





Seems like Jamo dropped his quality on it's last speakers...I was just listening some techno music a little louder and suddenly highs got down and realized one of tweeter's dome was a little out of it's normal position,,, when i push it a little sound turns back as its normal stage but if i give it a little volume, it goes out again....anyway it's going to service for replacement..but i never had any issues with my 10 year old jamo bx100 speakers despite using it at much higher loads...
btw this tweeter really looks cheap
theVatansever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BowerR64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does the front of that thing come off? Is the whole front of the speaker plastic? or is it just a plate the tweeter mounts to and the woofers are mounted to the rest of the cabnet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
BowerR64 is offline  
post #3 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
theVatansever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yes its the plastic plate, only houses the tweeter, others are mounted on cabinet..
theVatansever is offline  
post #4 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BowerR64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didnt realize the diaphram on those actualy moves, i thought it just deflects the sound a little so its not so directional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
BowerR64 is offline  
post #5 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TjMV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like I said in the other forum. That's a pathetically cheap, garbage tweeter.

Very disappointing to see Jamo stoop to such low level garbage in one of their speakers.

I know for a fact none of the tweeters in my C60 and C80 Series speakers (C603, C60 CEN, C607, C803, C807 and C809 ) are that crappy tweeter.

The tweeters in those speakers are very nice and when you take them out and look at them; they are impressive. They sound impressive, too.

These S606 tweeters look like 1970's cheapo tweeters for the garbage car stereos of the AMC Gremlin. Garbage.
TjMV3 is offline  
post #6 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 5,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I Googled the entire 5.1 system, and found a price of around $850 for all five speakers. That's $170 retail each, on average. Let's assume dealer cost is *less* than that. That doesn't leave a lot of budget for a tweeter. My hat is off to Jamo, a decent brand, for being able to market a good-looking system at that price. Triad sure can't. (My mid-line Triad surrounds cost as much as that whole system...EACH.) But for the price, you can't really complain. I'm sure they'll cover you under warranty.

Sorry about your problem. Blowing a tweeter is always a bummer. Good luck.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Paul Scarpelli is offline  
post #7 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TjMV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Jamo S606 sell for $600.00 for the pair USD.

The crappy Center Channel and tiny crappy rears make up the $250.00 difference. That's nothing for Jamo to be proud of.
TjMV3 is offline  
post #8 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BowerR64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Klipsch did it.

I ordered an S506 5.0 package and i just got a confermation number today, when i looked it up it said shipping weight 36lbs!

I hope thats an error, cause the jamo site says that each tower is 33lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
BowerR64 is offline  
post #9 of 115 Old 02-11-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric-t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

The Jamo S606 sell for $600.00 for the pair USD.

The crappy Center Channel and tiny crappy rears make up the $250.00 difference. That's nothing for Jamo to be proud of.

Let me first say that sucks when you encounter a blown speaker. Now with that said I have seen high end speakers that have blown a tweeter and or driver. The bottom line is it happens whether it be high or low end. Any mass produced product has a failure rate.
eric-t is offline  
post #10 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
theVatansever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
actually my concern is not for blown tweeter,,,, tweeter that was used....it's very cheap, crappy ones,,,i feel like ripped by jamo.
theVatansever is offline  
post #11 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric-t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theVatansever View Post

actually my concern is not for blown tweeter,,,, tweeter that was used....it's very cheap, crappy ones,,,i feel like ripped by jamo.

So the tweeter isn't blown
eric-t is offline  
post #12 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TjMV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

Let me first say that sucks when you encounter a blown speaker. Now with that said I have seen high end speakers that have blown a tweeter and or driver. The bottom line is it happens whether it be high or low end. Any mass produced product has a failure rate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

So the tweeter isn't blown


You're missing the point. Yes the tweeter is blown. And we all know that happenes with every manufactor out there. All brands occassionally have a small percentage of defects, here and there.

The main point is the Tweeter itself. Look at it. Take a good, long look at it.

It's a piece of garbage. It's an embarrassment that Jamo would use such dirt cheap, trashy Tweeter in the S606.

Look at the S606. They designed those speakers to look all fancy, glossy, high class. Yet, the tweeter is the type ultra low grade cr*p they use in dirt cheap car stereos. Even worse. It looks like one those cr*ppy tweeters they use in cheap mass market boomboxes or shelf boomboxes, made by Coby or Phillips or RCA or Sony for Wal-mart and K-mart.

That's where the issue lies.
TjMV3 is offline  
post #13 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric-t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

You're missing the point. Yes the tweeter is blown. And we all know that happenes with every manufactor out there. All brands occassionally have a small percentage of defects, here and there.

The main point is the Tweeter itself. Look at it. Take a good, long look at it.

It's a piece of garbage. It's an embarrassment that Jamo would use such dirt cheap, trashy Tweeter in the S606.

Look at the S606. They designed those speakers to look all fancy, glossy, high class. Yet, the tweeter is the type ultra low grade cr*p they use in dirt cheap car stereos. Even worse. It looks like one those cr*ppy tweeters they use in cheap mass market boomboxes or shelf boomboxes, made by Coby or Phillips or RCA or Sony for Wal-mart and K-mart.

That's where the issue lies.

I won't argue that it's a sub par tweeter but let's point out again what Paul Scarpelli has said. It's price point is a good value for the money. We wouldn't be here discussing quality if the tweeter hadn't blown in the first place So I see the real issue the OP has is the blown tweeter.
eric-t is offline  
post #14 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 AM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-t View Post

I won't argue that it's a sub par tweeter but let's point out again what Paul Scarpelli has said. It's price point is a good value for the money. We wouldn't be here discussing quality if the tweeter hadn't blown in the first place So I see the real issue the OP has is the blown tweeter.

BS. What Paul pointed out was the whole set. That set included a cheap center and cheap surrounds. As the OPer said the towers sell for $600/pr. While not a lot of money, I would expect a better tweeter than what is pictured. I agree with the poster the tweeter is a piece of garbage.
mjg100 is offline  
post #15 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
theVatansever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
today, support department of my dealer called me ... they're sending a new tweeter... I am more sad for Jamo lowering quality,,,my next purchase wont be a Jamo....and still no reply from Jamo support...
theVatansever is offline  
post #16 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Maybe you'll just have to buy the higher end Jamo speakers in the future?

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #17 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Slare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like an Audax type 1" dome. I think you are confusing "junk" with modern engineering / optimization. I can't speak for the particular quality / reliability of that tweeter but there is nothing to be taken from the compact design other than that it is a compact design.

You don't need hockey puck sized motor structures on tweeters anymore. I suspect that in general that tweeter works per it's intended specs and power handling fairly reliably. If you are not happy with that type of driver then do some more research and look into likely more old fashioned speakers with over designed components.

I'm not sticking up for Jamo's quality so much as the snap judgement being made by the appearance of the tweeter itself. There are some similar looking 1" Audax units that happen to be quite excellent.
Slare is offline  
post #18 of 115 Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BowerR64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare View Post


You don't need hockey puck sized motor structures on tweeters anymore. I suspect that in general that tweeter works per it's intended specs and power handling fairly reliably. If you are not happy with that type of driver then do some more research and look into likely more old fashioned speakers with over designed components.

I'm not sticking up for Jamo's quality so much as the snap judgement being made by the appearance of the tweeter itself. There are some similar looking 1" Audax units that happen to be quite excellent.

I agree, the design of the larger driver covers a much larger range so that the tweeter posted doesnt really have to cover much.

You may be over looking another problem, though. What does the crossover look like? maybe somthing else failed causing the damage to the tweeter.

You may replace it and then it happens again but takes your receiver with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantos
How can you tell a point is a reflection point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper
sit in normal spot
have friend slide mirror on wall
see speaker? bingo!-Max
BowerR64 is offline  
post #19 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
theVatansever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post

I agree, the design of the larger driver covers a much larger range so that the tweeter posted doesnt really have to cover much.

You may be over looking another problem, though. What does the crossover look like? maybe somthing else failed causing the damage to the tweeter.

You may replace it and then it happens again but takes your receiver with it.

I checked the crossover out, no problem there..still not a single word from Jamo...this is strange...They even dont bother to reply...
theVatansever is offline  
post #20 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TjMV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare View Post

It looks like an Audax type 1" dome. I think you are confusing "junk" with modern engineering / optimization. I can't speak for the particular quality / reliability of that tweeter but there is nothing to be taken from the compact design other than that it is a compact design.

You don't need hockey puck sized motor structures on tweeters anymore. I suspect that in general that tweeter works per it's intended specs and power handling fairly reliably. If you are not happy with that type of driver then do some more research and look into likely more old fashioned speakers with over designed components.

I'm not sticking up for Jamo's quality so much as the snap judgement being made by the appearance of the tweeter itself. There are some similar looking 1" Audax units that happen to be quite excellent.

None of the Audax tweeters look like this tweeter. There's a distinct difference in design and build quality.
TjMV3 is offline  
post #21 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't know anything about Jamo's quality, and they may have went with something a bit cheaper. However, isn't the real problem the overdriving and overworking of the OP's amp/receiver/HTIB? (no mention) .....techno music is loaded with bass...

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
post #22 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Slare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

None of the Audax tweeters look like this tweeter. There's a distinct difference in design and build quality.

My point was in terms of the size of the housing and magnet structure, which I suppose are the things that the OP was upset about.
LL
Slare is offline  
post #23 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TjMV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the purpose of clarity......

My Jamo C60 Series and C80 Series speakers are outstanding quality, for their respective price points. And it's not a stretch by amy means to say both series offer an exceptional value in terms of build quality and musical sound. A value that truely does punch high above their repective price points. An often used cliche, I know. But so very true.

But this S606 tweeter is pathetic.
TjMV3 is offline  
post #24 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TjMV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare View Post

My point was in terms of the size of the housing and magnet structure, which I suppose are the things that the OP was upset about.


Is that a car speaker/tweeter? Sure looks like one.
TjMV3 is offline  
post #25 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
audio0947's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Think about it, the s606 is a 3way tower with 4 drivers that cost $300 each retail. The dealer paid $200 each at the most and Jamo had to make some money too. You can not buy a complex 3way tower with 4 drivers in it for $300 retail and expect it to have good parts. That tweeter costs about $6 if you buy 100 at a time (educated guess).
Some free advice, if you have about $600 to spend you would be much better off buying a 2way.

Close your eyes and hear the truth!
audio0947 is online now  
post #26 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
theVatansever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

I don't know anything about Jamo's quality, and they may have went with something a bit cheaper. However, isn't the real problem the overdriving and overworking of the OP's amp/receiver/HTIB? (no mention) .....techno music is loaded with bass...

it musnt be overdriving since i was using at a little higher than usual levels,, i used my bx100 speakers at much much higher levels and never had any issues... this one died so easily, never thought that would happen...
theVatansever is offline  
post #27 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
theVatansever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio0947 View Post

Think about it, the s606 is a 3way tower with 4 drivers that cost $300 each retail. The dealer paid $200 each at the most and Jamo had to make some money too. You can not buy a complex 3way tower with 4 drivers in it for $300 retail and expect it to have good parts. That tweeter costs about $6 if you buy 100 at a time (educated guess).
Some free advice, if you have about $600 to spend you would be much better off buying a 2way.

you're right but i'd like to see better quality drivers, than it's shiny,glossy look...they should invest on quality instead of appearance.
theVatansever is offline  
post #28 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TjMV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theVatansever View Post

you're right but i'd like to see better quality drivers, than it's shiny,glossy look...they should invest on quality instead of appearance.

I think that's what Jamo does with the C60 and C80 Series. Plain looking aesthetics, but very good design, drivers and cabs.
TjMV3 is offline  
post #29 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
ProjectEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I guess how speakers sound over how their build quality/components makes you feel inside is soooooo 1998!
ProjectEF is offline  
post #30 of 115 Old 02-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Slare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

Is that a car speaker/tweeter? Sure looks like one.

It's a JBL oem'd by Audax. Used in some very nice speakers, 1" pure titanium dome with variants used from the original studio series all the way up to the performance series. It is bolted to a rather beefy and likely fairly costly cast aluminum waveguide / dispersion guide in most applications.

I had the same gut reaction as the OP after seeing one for the first time - being used to 035tia tweeters which have a hockey puck sized motor structure on them. But despite its rather pathetic appearance it is a very nice tweeter capable of keeping up with full size 14" woofer tower configurations well beyond reference levels. Part of me appreciates the technology advancement resulting in comparable performance with much less weight and I'm assuming - part cost.

I can appreciate both sides of the argument as overdesigned drivers, crossovers, cabs, etc., are what make speakers such a broad and diverse market. As I said before - I just don't agree that just because it is such a compact tweeter means it must be junk.
Slare is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off