Vizio WSS-1 Speaker System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We were planning to buy the Vizio WSS-1A speaker system to add to our Vizio SV470XVT LCD tv , but the system is no longer available. The WSS-1A system consisted of a wireless sub-woofer and 2 rear speakers. What would be a good system to buy to replace the WSS-1A that would utilize the 3 speakers in the tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM

I don't know that you will get much of a response here, even the cheap box systems are going to offer better sound than the speakers on your tv.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonpablo View Post

I don't know that you will get much of a response here, even the cheap box systems are going to offer better sound than the speakers on your tv.

Agreed! You could contact Vizio and ask them if they offer any other surround options... you're not building a home theater so it's kinda hard to give advice... if you get ready to upgrade into a Home theater system this is the right place to come for help.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I contacted Vizio. I didn't like their sound bar suggestion. I want rear speakers. The Logitech Z-5450 looks interesting with rear independent wireless speakers. Is it a good system at $500. I couldn't find any other manufacturers for this type of system. Are there others? I want rear speakers that are both truly wireless.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindon View Post

I contacted Vizio. I didn't like their sound bar suggestion. I want rear speakers. The Logitech Z-5450 looks interesting with rear independent wireless speakers. Is it a good system at $500. I couldn't find any other manufacturers for this type of system. Are there others? I want rear speakers that are both truly wireless.

For $500 bucks.. seriously you could get a a HTIB for that that would blow what you have away. You're money would better spent building yourself a real system.

Heck get a $200 5.1 receiver
A sub like this one
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-635

that leaves you with $200 left of your $500
Go to Best Buy and get some cheap Polks or Klipsch mains and a center
then if you want use some old speakers for the surrounds or buy some cheap little speakers and use those.

That will totally squash any cheap HTIB or $1500 BOSE system and your TV speakers will be an afterthought.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

It's the rear speaker wiring that's the problem and that's why I liked wireless. I've researched running wires from front to rear, but living in a slab home it didn't look very appealing or easy. I realize what you've suggested offers more quality, but I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for simplicity.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's the rear speaker wiring that's the problem and that's why I liked wireless. I've researched running wires from front to rear, but living in a slab home it didn't look very appealing or easy. I realize what you've suggested offers more quality, but I'm willing to sacrifice some quality for simplicity.

I understand that.. but if you can get into your attic it's actually very easy to run the wires in the walls and through the attic.

Also be aware that wireless means it doesn't hook to the amp to get it's power... but it's not really wireless, it will have to be plugged into a wall outlet to power it's onboard amp and receiver.. they also have lots of noise added to the signal.... if it doesn't have any wires at all that means it's battery operated and that would be a total head ache and a very poor performer.

personally I wouldn't spend $500 on surrounds when I don't even have any thing in the front to speak of... But if you're not after quality sound then go for it.. running wires would cost under $40 including wire from monoprice .com, cut-in boxes and wallplates to make it look like a pro installation. Then you should be able to use anything that your TV's on-board amp can push... Don't expect much as it probably has 10-20 watts it can dish out for the surrounds.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

After doing a quick search on your TV it looks like you have a 30w amp which gives 10w to each of the 3 speakers in your TV. I see no spec for the surrounds so you may not be able to go the wireless route unless you purchase an AVR or a cheap 2 channel amp to power the surrounds... the tweak City Audio Gizmo comes to mind as a cheap little amp.

If I were you I'd consider this a sign to begin building a real system. It's a lot of money to put into a system that won't give you that much in return.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Man, I wish you lived close so I could put your "it's actually very easy to run the wires in the walls and through the attic" to the test!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Man, I wish you lived close so I could put your "it's actually very easy to run the wires in the walls and through the attic" to the test!

Yea I'm a little handy.. but serioulsy.. you drill a hole in the top plate (top of the wall) it's 3" thick (2- 2x4s)drill directly above where you want the speaker use a 1/2" bit or so and guess what... you now have access to the inside of your wall.

go to lowes and ask for a cut-in box...(it's an outlet box that has little ears that grab onto the backside of sheetrock.. allowing you to put an outlet anywhere). Put the box on the wall (open side to wall) where you want the speaker to be (at least an inch away from the wall studs).. draw a line around the box and cut out the hole. run your wire through the top plate through the hole you cut and install the top plate. you can cover the hole directly with your surround or install one of these
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=261-352
which i'm sure you'll want to use behing your tv or Receiver to make it look like a Pro did it.

Now see doesn't that sound easy.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page