Bose VCS-10 Center no good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started browsing this forum yesterday, and according to what Ive been reading, my current sound sytem sounds about as good as tin cans tied with string I thought it sounded pretty good. People seems to be ripping the Bose VCS-10 left and right, I bought it for $200 3 years ago, is this speaker that bad? Could I have gotten a much better center channel for $200

Also I have 2 bose cube speakers for the rears, these I got off ebay for under $100. Again, are bose cube speakers a bad idea for surround? One cube is a redline the other an acoustimass III I believe. Could I have gotten a better pair of surround speakers for $100.

This sucks because I have always thought i had a good sound setup, I like to watch movies and listen to music with good sound quality, and apparently this hasnt been happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yeah sorry to break it you but the VCS-10 probably the worst speaker I've ever heard.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcle View Post

I started browsing this forum yesterday, and according to what Ive been reading, my current sound sytem sounds about as good as tin cans tied with string I thought it sounded pretty good. People seems to be ripping the Bose VCS-10 left and right, I bought it for $200 3 years ago, is this speaker that bad? Could I have gotten a much better center channel for $200

Also I have 2 bose cube speakers for the rears, these I got off ebay for under $100. Again, are bose cube speakers a bad idea for surround? One cube is a redline the other an acoustimass III I believe. Could I have gotten a better pair of surround speakers for $100.

This sucks because I have always thought i had a good sound setup, I like to watch movies and listen to music with good sound quality, and apparently this hasnt been happening.

If your current system sounds good to you then that's all that matters.

I can tell you from experience with the Bose VCS-10 and MOST other Bose products that if you have not exposed yourself to other speaker systems, they sound great. The minute that you bring in different speakers to audition, Bose will sound like complete s#!t!!!

I used to own the VCS-10 back in 99-2000 along with (Qty: 4) 302's and also thought that I had the best sounding system. Once I moved to a 5.1 Energy setup, I could not believe that the Bose VCS-10 sounded as horrible as it did.

The 302's are probably the only speakers from Bose that I think still sound ok.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Are you saying I could have gotten comparable sound quality out of a $150 speaker or even the $100 yamaha center I bought 8 years ago may sound just as good or better? This is very frustrtating.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM

dont be frustrated. If you are happy ignore this and enjoy. Seriously this is dumb. there is no reason to be unhappy with your stuff because others have an opinion that is different.

save yourself and go watch a movie man.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsax View Post

dont be frustrated. If you are happy ignore this and enjoy. Seriously this is dumb. there is no reason to be unhappy with your stuff because others have an opinion that is different.

Agreed!!!

iheartcle,

This is nothing to get frustrated over but you did ask us for our opinion. If they really do sound good to you then great!!! All we're saying is that once you do some research and audition other speakers, you WILL find something that sounds better.

No matter what speakers anybody currently has, there's always something better.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 PM

everyone has there own opinions on speakers and how they sound, what sounds good to one person wont to another. for example i have a polk monitor set-up and love it, there are some people on this forum that dont

if you happy then dont worry about it and save your money to buy movies instead of speakers, and remember there is not one perfect speaker out there, as everyone has there own prefences
post #8 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
FWIW Bose has made a science of what sounds good to people. That, attention to things like WAF, and excellent marketing, are the reasons for the company's success. However, a speaker that sounds good doesn't necessarily reproduce the sound accurately. "Better" speakers just reproduce the sound more accurately. Ideally, the speakers and all the other equipment in the chain are totally transparent and don't impart anything to the sound themselves so that you hear what the recording engineer intended. That never happens, but with good gear you can get as close as possible. If that is not your goal, then who cares as long as you like the sound.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

So what about about my Bose rear speakers, would anyone consider those a "solid" budget rear setup? After viewing some threads people are talking about $900 rear speakers, and If I had the money I would, but now I have Bose rear speakers.

Am I at least hearing surround sound with these? I know you guys are high rolling with audio, but to the average person? Also for future reference, how could I have done better with my $200 for a center channel?

thanks again
post #10 of 16 Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You're getting surround sound, but probably not any bass or low midrange out of the back. Those Bose "cubes" are actually designed to be used with a matching "bass module" (not a regular subwoofer) that they connect to.

I commented in that other thread that upgrading the VCS-10 would be my first move if I was you. As a former VCS-10 owner, I can tell you it just isn't a very good center channel speaker at all.

Bose makes nice looking products that are small and sound "OK". For a few hundred dollars you could upgrade your current center and surrounds and probably have a much better sounding system. Heck, you could resell your Bose stuff on eBay and get some decent cash for them. I finally sold my VCS-10 on eBay not long ago and got around $150 for it.

Ultimately though, don't just upgrade because some folks on the internet are telling you to. However, you must have posted about this because you think or want something a bit better, I'd bet?
post #11 of 16 Old 02-20-2010, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a VCS-10 (like new condition) FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. I didn't have the space available to match my JBL EC series speakers so I bought the BOSE center. Used it for a year and a half until I built a wall mount stand for an EC35 center speaker. No issues with the Bose. I had to increase the center level to match the sound level with fronts. I agree comments above, without a side by side comparison you will be pleased with the Bose. With that said I enjoyed having it to compliment my system until I found a solution to mounting an EC35. Please PM me.

Yamaha RX3900
JBL Studio 590 7:1
SVS Ultra PB 13
Sharp LC70LE857U
Sony SACD
post #12 of 16 Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsax View Post

I agree with this. Sometimes I wonder, "who is anyone to be the judge of what speakers sound awesome and what speakers sound like crap"? I mean, there are so many things that come into play...where the speakers are placed, the room they are placed in, items that are in the room, earwax, how damaged your eardrums are from listening to loud music...

...i mean heck, who's to say some "sound expert with 20 years experience" of listening to and judging speaker systems ears arent fairly damaged from all the loud music and concerts hes gone to over the years...and what sounds "amazing" to him might sound COMPLETELY different to someone else.

It's all personal preference once you get to the level of paying $200 a piece and up for a pair of bookshelf speakers, or $200 for a center channel speaker...it's not junk/garbage...it's a quality product. Enjoy it!
post #13 of 16 Old 04-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegmi2 View Post

I agree with this. Sometimes I wonder, "who is anyone to be the judge of what speakers sound awesome and what speakers sound like crap"? I mean, there are so many things that come into play...where the speakers are placed, the room they are placed in, items that are in the room, earwax, how damaged your eardrums are from listening to loud music...

...i mean heck, who's to say some "sound expert with 20 years experience" of listening to and judging speaker systems ears arent fairly damaged from all the loud music and concerts hes gone to over the years...and what sounds "amazing" to him might sound COMPLETELY different to someone else.

It's all personal preference once you get to the level of paying $200 a piece and up for a pair of bookshelf speakers, or $200 for a center channel speaker...it's not junk/garbage...it's a quality product. Enjoy it!

Well, the original poster did ask for opinions (two months ago), and sort of implied that they may want to upgrade. I've personally never heard Bose speakers, so I'm not in a position to critique them, but people who have compared them with other brands would be doing the OP a disservice to say you can't do better than Bose.

Re surround speakers, it's my opinion that spending lots of money on surrounds is unnecessary. Surrounds are there for the ambient sound (birds chirping, cars driving by) and whooshing sound effects of movies, and not much else. How sensational do they really need to be? If you've got the money, get some fancy ones. But I'd consider Bose surrounds to be up to the task.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 AM

I would not always listen to others who comment on Bose products. There are a lot of "Bose Haters" out there.
If your system sounds good to you that is all that matters.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgrood View Post

If your system sounds good to you that is all that matters.
True, but most of those who come here for advice do so before buying, not after, and it would be remiss of those offering advice not to point out that Bose sounds no better, if as good as, other products that cost 1/3 as much.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
I started browsing this forum yesterday, and according to what Ive been reading, my current sound sytem sounds about as good as tin cans tied with string ... I thought it sounded pretty good.
If you're happy with how it sounds, why do you care about what others are saying?
Quote:
People seems to be ripping the Bose VCS-10 left and right ... Could I have gotten a much better center channel for $200
Quite possibly, but if you're happy with the VCS-10, it doesn't matter.
Quote:
Also I have 2 bose cube speakers for the rears ... Could I have gotten a better pair of surround speakers for $100.
Quite possibly, but if you're happy with your surrounds, it doesn't matter.
Quote:
This sucks because I have always thought i had a good sound setup ...
What sucks and why? Do you still like how your system sounds? If you do, why do you care what people on the Internet are saying?

If you're not happy with how your system sounds, and you're interested in upgrading to something different or better - well, that's a different matter entirely. In which case:
- How big is your room?
- What's your budget?
- What component(s) are you looking to replace?
Reply Speakers