Gallo Strada or Mirage OMD-5s/C1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So in conjunction with us moving to a new house, my wife has loosened the purse strings for me to set up the A/V system for the new family room. This is probably a once-every-ten-years or so event for me, and I would like to take full advantage. With that said, I have narrowed my choices down to the following two 5.1 setups due to space and decor restraints:

3 Gallo Strada for L/C/R
2 Gallo A'Diva (mounted on ceiling) for surrounds
1 Gallo TR3 sub

or

2 Mirage OMD5 for L/R
1 Mirage OMDC1 for C
2 Mirage OS3 (mounted on ceiling) for surrounds
1 Mirage Omni 12 sub

In either setup, the center channel will be wall mounted below the TV, and the left and right will need to sit on built-in bookshelves on either side of the TV. The room is part of an open floor plan and is open on the left side to the breakfast area and on the rear to the kitchen and bar. The system will probably be doing home theater / TV duty 75% of the time. After some preliminary pricing online, it looks like the Gallo setup will cost about 50% more, but whatever I get will probably be with me for some time before being replaced, so price is not the driving concern for me here. I really like the way the Gallo's look, but ultimately I want the set that will sound best in the room. Given the undefined nature of the room which is also quite large (the tv, speakers, and furniture will be arranged around a space that is about 12' by 16' with a 12' ceiling, but as I mentioned earlier, the left and rear are open).

I would appreciate any opinions or comments from anyone who has experience with either speaker set. I need to pull the trigger fairly soon before my wife changes her mind after figuring out the rest of the stuff that needs to be done to the new house. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Liked: 10
Simon,

I have both setups you listed (Gallo Strada/A'Diva/TR3 and Mirage OMD5/C1/sub) at my home currently and have compared them pretty extensively. I can give you some pointers and things to consider, but the list is too long to type (I'm much better at chatting). Check your PM for my contact info.

Thanks, Tony
post #3 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 AM

Supratony,

Don't tell me you think the Mirage is better? I just bought 5 stradas and think they are incredible...especially as on-walls.

Was actually contemplating the mirage given how cheap vanns.com is selling them, but I couldn't fathom how the Mirage could compete with the stradas, which seem a league above.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asap200x View Post

Supratony,

Don't tell me you think the Mirage is better? I just bought 5 stradas and think they are incredible...especially as on-walls.

Was actually contemplating the mirage given how cheap vanns.com is selling them, but I couldn't fathom how the Mirage could compete with the stradas, which seem a league above.

In short:

Stradas are definitely better speakers than OMD5 empirically (and has much better potential to sound just plain ethereal with high-end equipment), but unless you've got the electronics (ie. receiver, amp, etc.) to mate with the Stradas and really make them sing, they may not be worth the 4-5x in price. OMD5/C1 are pretty efficient, and doesn't take much to drive them. Stradas, much like all other Gallo speakers, are very hungry for power, and really shines when you have high current amp section driving it. I know because I've tried a few different electronics with it ranging from a Denon receiver (1k) to 5k separates, and the difference was dramatic (not as much for the Mirage speakers).

It also depends on how picky your ears are, since the OMD5 based setup will be quite good with decent (not audiophile grade) electronics. So the value (difference in sound/performance over the difference in price) may not be there to "upgrade" to Stradas if you don't have the equipment.

I also think for mostly if the setup is meant for HT duty, Stradas are a bit of a waste. Stradas are so good with music, that HT duty doesn't really make them shine as much as they were designed for. I went from Ref 3.1 to Strada for this reason (have shifted to more HT and less music over the years).
post #5 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I don't think it's really possible to compare two speaker systems at such different price points. A Strada lists for about $1K, while a Mirage OMD5 Lists for $399. I think you may be able to get a decent price on a Gallo system as a package from a dealer, but I don't think you'll be able to get any where near the discount you could get on the Mirage system. A quick look found the OMD5 available on the web for $199 with free shipping. I tend to tell people to set a budget, and look at comparable equipment in their price range. Trying to compare a $4K to a $1K speaker system comes down to: Do you want great sound, or $$ in the bank?

P.S. I'm very familiar with the Gallo speakers, not so much with Mirage.

So much media, so little time...

post #6 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 05:55 PM

I think you should buy the most you can afford. For me, i've gone through a lot of budget priced speakers that are supposed to offer bang for the buck (paradigms, energy, axiom) and while they are all good, the stradas are incredible. They are a different class and in my opinion a definite step up from your bang for buck sub $1000 pair bookshelf speakers.

As for equipment, i agree that the higher end your gear the more you will appreciate the stradas. but i will say that with my modest gear (pioneer elite sc-05 receiver) the stradas sound sweet and the difference between them and my energy RC-10s is dramatic and easily appreciable.

So, if you have the means and you don't intend on upgrading for the next 10 years, i'd say go stradas...highly recommended by me and others.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by asap200x View Post

I think you should buy the most you can afford. For me, i've gone through a lot of budget priced speakers that are supposed to offer bang for the buck (paradigms, energy, axiom) and while they are all good, the stradas are incredible. They are a different class and in my opinion a definite step up from your bang for buck sub $1000 pair bookshelf speakers.

As for equipment, i agree that the higher end your gear the more you will appreciate the stradas. but i will say that with my modest gear (pioneer elite sc-05 receiver) the stradas sound sweet and the difference between them and my energy RC-10s is dramatic and easily appreciable.

So, if you have the means and you don't intend on upgrading for the next 10 years, i'd say go stradas...highly recommended by me and others.

Agreed!

So much media, so little time...

post #8 of 11 Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I do want to get the best set of speakers I can right now, even if I don't yet have the equipment or environment to tap their full potential. If the Stradas are really just a step above the OMDs regardless of application or environment, then I'll probably just go with the Gallos with the hope of eventually upgrading around them.

After spending a little more time looking at the room in the new house, though, I've come to realize I actually have room for the OMD-15 towers for my left/right instead of just OMD-5s. Would this even the playing field a bit with a 3.1 Strada setup? The Vann's deal is just so hard to pass up.

But the biggest problem I'm starting to see is that I will have very limited placement options regardless of which set I go with. If I go with OMD-15s or Stradas on stands, they will have to be either too close together (just on each side of the TV at each end of the fireplace - about 5-6 ft apart) or on the far corners of the room about 16 feet apart (the seating area is about 12-13 feet away). If I want to place the left and right channels closer together, they will need to be sitting on built-in bookshelves about 5 feet up at lowest (this will also require me to go with the OMD-5s, which I could mount upside down). From what I've read about the Mirages, though, it seems they generally don't work well when placed too close to reflective surfaces like the wood paneling and cabinetry that I have to contend with. Would the Gallos fare better with less than ideal placement? With either system, would it be better to have them ear level but not optimally spaced, or optimally spaced but higher than ear level? I will have the center channel wall mounted below the TV.

Thanks again for your insights and suggestions. I still need to take you up on your offer and give you a call Supratony. Will PM you to try to find a time that works for you.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 AM

I'm in a similar situation. After days of torture and indecision I finally ponied up for 2 OMD-15's, an OMDC1 and 4 OMD-5's. All in rosewood (WAF) and it ended up being 1500.00 less than what I originally planned on spending for speakers. I get to blow that money on the AVR now. It's hard too pass up the OMD sell-off. They're fantastic for HT, efficient enough to drive with a modest AVR until you got cash for separates if you so wish and they look damn sexy. And placing the OMD-15 only 5-6' apart shouldn't be that big of an issue. That wide dispersion pattern is forgiving.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM

Simon, before i wall mounted by stradas i listened to them in various positions and frankly, they sounded great in even the worst ones (right against the wall lying horizontally flat on the media cabinet)

I think the stradas are not as sensitive to placement as other speakers. Not sure why, maybe its because of their spherical nature or because of the tweeter's dispersion.

I think if placement is a problem the stradas strengths will become even more apparent.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am considering buying Mirage OMD-15's, 5's, C! I am wondering if any of you OMD-15 owners have tried biamping these speakers? Especially important to me would be knowing how you experienced a difference in the sound of these between trying "not biamping" vs "biamping?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page