post #1501 of 1523 Old 09-04-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Schifter to be sentenced on September 28, 3pm.

I'm curious. Has ANYONE actually talked to the man since this all went down? What was his reaction? Any remorse? Has he been in jail prior to sentencing?

-Brian

Brian R. Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1523 Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghead8che View Post

I'm curious. Has ANYONE actually talked to the man since this all went down? What was his reaction? Any remorse? Has he been in jail prior to sentencing?
-Brian
AFAIK, only friends (assuming he has any) and family have spoken with Schifter. If he has exhibited any remorse, IMO it's feigned. He is currently no longer enjoying the Boulder County Jail & Holistic Spa facilities having been released this past March. What he is supposed to be doing with his time since being released is continuing to make restitution (going excruciatingly slow) as well as community service. It remains to be seen what he'll be sentenced to given that he's a convicted felon but we'll know more at the end of this month.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1503 of 1523 Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Schifter to be sentenced on September 28, 3pm.

What's the word??
post #1504 of 1523 Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

What's the word??
It's been continued and rescheduled for 11/9/2102 at 3pm. Some say it's because he wanted to go trick or treating dressed up as Alex Lindeman but I can't confirm it.
bfreedma likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #1505 of 1523 Old 09-29-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's been continued and rescheduled for 11/9/2102 at 3pm. Some say it's because he wanted to go trick or treating dressed up as Alex Lindeman but I can't confirm it.

Maybe (unless he gets another postponement) he'll be eating Horsecock sandwiches for this Thanksgiving behind bars...

HH
post #1506 of 1523 Old 09-29-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Ouch - maybe they could trick or treat together while selling old stock out of a white van....
post #1507 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mark Schifter plead guilty and was sentenced on November 9, 2012. He was assessed fees and fines totalling $431. Further he received 20 years of probation although I don't know if that runs concurrently or consecutively with the probation he received for the raffle business. As a requirement of probation there are monthly probation fees which I'm told are $50 that he is required to pay. Also, he has 12 months of work release meaning jail is still his home if he's not working. I understand there is a Thanksgiving meal served presumably with stuffing.

A motion was filed to assess restitution and Schifter has 28 days to respond. If he doesn't then presumably the amounts that he's accused of absconding with will be assessed. Otherwise, he can contest the amount at a hearing.

That's all folks.

post #1508 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

He was assessed fees and fines totalling $431.
That's about what I paid for a recent speeding ticket.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #1509 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 521
That sort of sounds like a light slap on the wrist.
post #1510 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The fines are piddly, but that is a pretty long probation period.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #1511 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

WOW

HH
post #1512 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

That sort of sounds like a light slap on the wrist.
Well yes it does seeing as he'll get out after less than a year on probation. I wonder how they're going to handle this seeing as he already has pending restitution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

The fines are piddly, but that is a pretty long probation period.
Well he has 20 years probation or whatever they call it stemming from the raffle thing.

post #1513 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

That's about what I paid for a recent speeding ticket.

Together with traffic school, I actually just paid more than $431 for the wife's speeding ticket frown.gif

David Fabrikant

audio professional and soft spoken representative of www.AscendAcoustics.com

post #1514 of 1523 Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:

Well he has 20 years probation or whatever they call it stemming from the raffle thing.
So they run concurrently? If so he basically got a punishment of $431 since he's already on probation..
post #1515 of 1523 Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

WOW, haven't visited here for a few years and only to see this after I read on another forum that av123 was gone. Man, I had personally talked with Mark over the phone for more than 10 minutes while I was buying the Dual MFW-15 woofers. I thought he was cool back then. Sad that he had to resort to fraud to run his business. They were really innovative on their products to some extent and I was hoping to get their next generation woofer after the MFW-15.

My dual MFW-15 were great. I haven't played them much because other family members won't tolerate me, or them. I don't know how long my Amps can last. Is there any substitute to them in case it blew out? Also, is there MFW-15 manual? It used an old model manual back then.
post #1516 of 1523 Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 AM
b4z
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
How long before he starts another audio company?
post #1517 of 1523 Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry if this is a little OT, but my Rocket UFW-10 sub almost totally burnt down today, started making some bad noises, then smelling/burning....quickly unplugged the *#(cker eek.gif

Took it apart and one of the circuit boards w/components melted and burned---lots of soot inside. The sub was actually just idling, wasn't being pushed at all. I guess the amp went DC on me. The fuse didn't blow mad.gif
The amp now sits outside on the porch (where I took the above pic---click it for a larger view if you dare!), it's WAY too stinky to be inside.

So, I'm mad that this thing coulda easily burned my place down, luckily I was there to unplug it.....argh! I was also lucky that I put it on its own powerstrip, so that it would not get any AC when I wasn't home watching/listening to something. I only turned the powerstrip on (sub on) when needed, which wasn't very often at all.

Anyways, I figured most of the Rocket experts are on this thread; so I was wondering if anyone made replacement amp modules for this? The cab and speaker are fine, seems a waste to not replace the amp module and keep the cab/speaker alive, but I will not replace it with another Rocket amp, I will NOT trust it!! And on that note, anyone with Rocket electronic components (subs, etc.), Beware!!! Keep them on a separate powerstrip and power it off when not home to be safe!!!!! It saved my place from a potential total loss (+ kitty that would have been trapped frown.gif )

I live in a small cottage, so I don't have room for anything bigger than the UFW-10 size (it fit exactly in and under a small end table). Looks like the SVS SB-1000 is a similar same size (will fit inside my end table), I suppose this is a good choice if no good replacement amp modules are available?? Any other small (13" to 14" cube) subs I should look at? Argh...another $500 down the drain.

And on a related note, any new news on 'Shifty'?? Seemed about time to bump this thread anywayz wink.gif
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #1518 of 1523 Old 03-21-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

I live in a small cottage, so I don't have room for anything bigger than the UFW-10 size (it fit exactly in and under a small end table). Looks like the SVS SB-1000 is a similar same size (will fit inside my end table), I suppose this is a good choice if no good replacement amp modules are available?? Any other small (13" to 14" cube) subs I should look at? Argh...another $500 down the drain.

And on a related note, any new news on 'Shifty'?? Seemed about time to bump this thread anywayz wink.gif

Just an update to my post above.

I ended up getting the SVS SB-1000 I mentioned above to replace the UFW-10 that almost burnt my house down. It is WAY better than the UFW10. More power, better lower lows, etc. Though to be fair, the SVS is a 12" woof vs the 10" of the UFW10. BUT, the external dimensions are very close so it still fit in the same small place inside an end table. Also it runs very very cool. The UFW-10 ran rather warm, even in standby mode! Hence probably the reason I had put it on a powerstrip in the first place. I'm guessing this is probably fully due to the Class D design of the SVS vs the A/B (?) design of the Rocket.
Now, make no mistake, this isn't gonna shake a big room. It's a small sub in a small sealed box, and for me, it had to fit in a super small space. You can get a better value for your sub-lows if you just go for one of the larger boxes---even the SVS PB-1000 which is only a 10", but it's ported.

I found that Parts Express makes amp plates that will fit my UFW-10 cabinet, so I intend on getting one in the future and reviving it. Perhaps run both subs at some point.

Also, any updates on 'Shifty'? Did he really serve 12 months? Even if it was work release?
post #1519 of 1523 Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From what I understand, he's still working and slowly paying off what ke owes. More than that I don't know. The persecutor doesn't keep tabs sine the matter is now between MLS and his probation officer.

post #1520 of 1523 Old 03-21-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:

From what I understand, he's still working and slowly paying off what ke owes. More than that I don't know. The persecutor doesn't keep tabs sine the matter is now between MLS and his probation officer.

Persecutor? eek.gifwink.gif
tdogroeder likes this.

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #1521 of 1523 Old 03-22-2014, 08:06 AM

Chu Gai: What kind of "work" is he doing? Bus boy at the Spumoni Gardens?
post #1522 of 1523 Old 03-22-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheart1948 View Post

Chu Gai: What kind of "work" is he doing? Bus boy at the Spumoni Gardens?
Nothing like thoses squares from there! As t what he's specifically doing, I won't comment. As much as I dislike the guy, him working is a good thing because that's the only way anybody who's owed money will stand a chance of getting something. To specifically divulge the particulars would be counter productive.

Humbly...

Chu

post #1523 of 1523 Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 PM

Good thing he's not working at the Spumoni Gardens. He'd probably steal all the tip money.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page