AVS Forum banner

Longmont Man Indicted On Suspicion of Charity Fraud

179K views 2K replies 239 participants last post by  CruelInventions 
#1 ·
 http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=20988

© 2010 Longmont Times-Call

LONGMONT - A statewide grand jury on Friday indicted a Longmont man on suspicion of running illegal charity raffles, according to the Colorado Attorney General's Office.

Mark L. Schifter, 54, president of ww w.********** and Perpetual Technologies, was accused in a five-count indictment of making to the tune of $180,000 by defrauding 707 people in 27 illegal raffles held from 2004 through 2009. According to the attorney general's office, only $29,500 was distributed to charities. Some charities reported receiving nothing.

For more information about charities and charitable soliticters, visit www.checkthecharity.com .

http://www.timescall.com/assets/pdf/...indictment.pdf

See less See more
#3 ·
It was a long time coming. Congrats to the detectives, charities, and raffle participants for cooperating.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 /forum/post/18212863

What took so long?

In what sense or over what time period?

#8 ·
See if it makes the local TV news Miles, and if so record it if you can.

#10 ·
Not entirely. There's still the trial which I think will have more surprises.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/18213338

Not entirely. There's still the trial which I think will have more surprises.

Should be interesting to see what comes to surface during the trial.

I'm interested in seeing if AV123 ...or anyone other than Mark at AV123, we're involved in all of this. For a long time people have been desperately trying to catagorize Mark as a seperate entity from AV123. As if his actions were not at all representitve of AV123...in any way tied in with AV123.

Should be interesting to see who knew what and who permitted it to continue to occur; at AV123. I know the water is quite murky and convoluted when trying to determine the distinctions. But in my own personal opinion, based on nothing but gut-feeling and instinct; I suspect the mud is piled real thick and real deep.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/18212523

http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=20988

© 2010 Longmont Times-Call

LONGMONT - A statewide grand jury on Friday indicted a Longmont man on suspicion of running illegal charity raffles, according to the Colorado Attorney General's Office.

Mark L. Schifter, 54, president of ww w.********** and Perpetual Technologies, was accused in a five-count indictment of making to the tune of $180,000 by defrauding 707 people in 27 illegal raffles held from 2004 through 2009. According to the attorney general's office, only $29,500 was distributed to charities. Some charities reported receiving nothing.

For more information about charities and charitable soliticters, visit www.checkthecharity.com .

http://www.timescall.com/assets/pdf/...indictment.pdf

Schifter will get his hand slapped. He will have no money left after he pays his lawyer fees.

My former attorney got 3 years in the slammer, but he stole $17,000,000 plus or minus $180,000 or so with no defense of his actions. At least my former attorney did not have to pay for a lawyer!

My attorney stole $17 million link here

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass /forum/post/18213861

Schifter will get his hand slapped. He will have no money left after he pays his lawyer fees.

My former attorney got 3 years in the slammer, but he stole $17,000,000 plus or minus $180,000 or so with no defense of his actions. At least my former attorney did not have to pay for a lawyer!

Why would you pick an obvious scum bag like that to be your lawyer? Not sure that I would tell anybody.

#19 ·
I'm glad to see this finally came about. Of course indictment and conviction are two entirely different things but I wonder how long AV321 will be in business at this point. I also wonder how many of the apologists will come out now and condemn Schifty. Where's that former employee that maintained MLS was just "misunderstood?" lol.

Chris

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass /forum/post/18213861

The law is tougher on those that steal from charities than those that steal from sleaze merchants. With the clientele your lawyer was dealing with(er stealing from) I'm not sure I'd be proclaiming him publicly as my attorney.

#21 ·
It should be interesting. I would be curious at what the bond will be set at. To be honest, I wish the whole damn industry would be investigated. I would like to see an inquiry into various electrical components that were not UC approved, claims of an extraordinary nature in the high end, etc,.etc. Let's start actually applying the laws on the books.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bessinger /forum/post/18214395

It should be interesting. I would be curious at what the bond will be set at. To be honest, I wish the whole damn industry would be investigated. I would like to see an inquiry into various electrical components that were not UC approved, claims of an extraordinary nature in the high end, etc,.etc. Let's start actually applying the laws on the books.

I can see the indictment now..."A California man has been indicted for selling 1 meter interconnects which he claimed produced the blackest blacks he's ever heard".

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon /forum/post/18214358

The law is tougher on those that steal from charities than those that steal from sleaze merchants.

Who stole money from charities and sleaze merchants? Read what Schifter was indicted for. He was not indicted for stealing from charities. The charites had nothing to do with it and did not even know about it. "He faces charges of theft of more than $20,000, running a charitable fraud scheme, using the name of a charity without authorization, running a computer fraud scheme and violating raffle laws."

Read more: Longmont man indicted on charity fraud charges - Boulder Daily Camera http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-c...#ixzz0giGjDJxZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpon /forum/post/18214358

With the clientele your lawyer was dealing with(er stealing from) I'm not sure I'd be proclaiming him publicly as my attorney.

Dat would be former attorney. Kind of a big jump for you make as you have no knowledge of the identity of the victims of this "stealing" nor the identity of Goldings lawfirm clients. The wife of a former state governor and Marvin Haggler's trainer / promoter were the only people identified as victims in that article. They can hardly classified as "sleaze merchants".

#25 ·
Thats sad some one would do that.

I think credit card companys are the biggest crooks. Its amazing the stuff they pull.

#26 ·
There's a guy who appeared to do the same sort of thing on a major bass-guitar forum. (I say "appear" because I'm not a regular there so I didn't follow it closely, and because he hasn't been convicted of a crime.) Soliciting money on behalf of musicians in trouble, etc. Not as much money as is being alleged here, though.

Don't send your money to people you don't know over the Internet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.