In-Ceiling Surround Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-03-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I realize in-ceiling home theater is not the ideal way to go, it's the only option I have. This is a family room setup, not a dedicated theater.

The way the room is pre-wired, the surrounds are actually to the sides "above" the seating/viewing area, instead if behind it (there's a wall right behind the sofa.)

So my question is, what would be the best way to orient the surrounds?

I am planning on getting a set of in-ceiling speakers with the adjustable/angled setup to allow me to aim things at the seating area, and for the surronds, I wonder how I would best be served. Aiming them at the seating? Or at the back wall? Maybe at the side wall (the back and side walls are equidistant from the speakers)

And while I'm at it, any recommendations for speakers? Looking at the Jamo 610 series, the JBLs, maybe the Klipsch (though I don't really want to spend $1000 per speaker... I think it's unnecessary given the application.)

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Episode has some speakers I am considering that would work for this... ES-500-ICSURR-6

They are in ceiling bi-pole/di-pole.

I haven't heard them, but I like the idea.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Paradigm, NHT, and Monitor audio all make good in ceiling speakers. And all well below your price range. Who made your fronts?
post #4 of 7 Old 03-04-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepit View Post

Paradigm, NHT, and Monitor audio all make good in ceiling speakers. And all well below your price range. Who made your fronts?

They all have to be in-ceiling unfortunately.... fronts and surrounds as well. I still have my Paradigm PS-1000 sub which I am going to use.

I think the hardest thing is auditioning these things... so forgoing that, I'm just trying to make an intelligent choice based on a balance of quality and price.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Consider in-wall as well if you haven't already. Just go find a Paradigm, B&W, and Speakercraft dealer that has an in ceiling demo and buy the ones you like most. I don't think you'll have any issues finding a good in-ceiling speaker with your budget.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-04-2010, 03:00 PM

I had to get the in ceiling for now also. I have Paradigm speakers and sub so I went with the Paradigm straight shooting (no angle and no dipole). I won't have them hooked up for a couple of weeks though.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 PM

I have Paradigm SA-15R in ceiling speakers that I'm using as surrounds in a 5.1 setup. They are installed to the sides of the main listening position, firing straight down. Do they sound OK? Yes. Is it ideal? No, but like you, I had no other choice in this non-dedicated room.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page