Good upgrade choices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Several years ago I bought a Sony HTIB, later the stereo was stolen, the speakers were left. At the moment I'm running the Sony STR-700 7.1 receiver through the speakers that were left, and wondering which speakers normally make the biggest impact to upgrade first.

Currently I have Sony SS-CNP2 Center, SS-MSP2 as surround, not running rears, and whatever sub matches that series also, I think it's the SA-WMSP4, 100w powered.

At the moment looking at the Polk CS1 for a Center channel upgrade, and PSW10 for a subwoofer upgrade.

Not real clear about what to use for a surround upgrade, are the Polk Monitor 30's for surround use? Or would I be better off with TSi100 or OWM3?

Are all of these decent choices for an upgrade at all, or am I looking at the same quality/sound that I've got now?

I know I need a sub upgrade, as mine distorts a bit, but if I need more details on that I'll hit the sub forum. I would assume though that that would probably make the biggest immediate impact on sound quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-14-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
LOL! That thief gave you an editorial of the quality of your Sony speakers!

It sounds like you are going to cobble together a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. You may want to slow down and think this through so you end up with matching speakers all round. I'd suggest a good 5.1 setup that all match - or at least the front three. I use three speakers up front that are the same brand and the same model. The side surrounds are less important to timbre match but the front three need to timbre match for the best sound quality.

The best impact on sound quality is your speakers - subs not so much. Subs give you an additional WOW factor but not as much as decent speakers.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

If you have very little money to spend I would just go with the Jamo 5.1 set for $200 shipped http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

LOL! That thief gave you an editorial of the quality of your Sony speakers!

It sounds like you are going to cobble together a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. You may want to slow down and think this through so you end up with matching speakers all round. I'd suggest a good 5.1 setup that all match - or at least the front three. I use three speakers up front that are the same brand and the same model. The side surrounds are less important to timbre match but the front three need to timbre match for the best sound quality.

The best impact on sound quality is your speakers - subs not so much. Subs give you an additional WOW factor but not as much as decent speakers.

@Knucklehead Well, it appeared the Polk Center and Sub I was looking at were the same series, so they'd match, but didn't have luck finding what I thought was a matching surround speaker in the same series, that's why I was asking...

@Cornhulio Never heard of Jamo speakers before I started browsing these forums, are they decent? I was looking to do the whole 5.1 setup in the $300-$400 range, so they'd definitely fit the budget.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Yeah, but a buzzing/vibrating/distorting sub will definitely give you an UGH! factor also... Real low stuff makes mine sound like it... "flaps" for lack of a better term. Especially if the sound isn't terribly loud, just doesn't sound good at all.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post

Yeah, but a buzzing/vibrating/distorting sub will definitely give you an UGH! factor also... Real low stuff makes mine sound like it... "flaps" for lack of a better term. Especially if the sound isn't terribly loud, just doesn't sound good at all.

If I had a sub that did that I'd unplug it.
There are too many subs being sold today that approximate the sound of a flatulent bull moose. While the moose (and a few guys I know) may find the sound entertaining it doesn't make for a good HT experience.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page