I need a new center. Recommendations welcomed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two Infinity IL50 floor standers up front with Infinity RS3 bookshelves in the rear and Infinity OWS1 wallmounts as surrounds powered by an Onkyo TX-NR1007.

I am looking to replace my current center channel which is a Klipsch KSC-C1 which I find doesn't match my system at all and really lacks the timbre of the IL50's (not to mention it is WAY too quiet for movie dialogue).

My room is about 14'x26'. From everything I have read I would really love to get my hands on an Infinity Beta C360, but alas, I can't find one available anywhere. Any other recommendations for a solid center?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
First of all if it's way too quiet you haven't set them up properly... get out your SPL meter or run your AVR's auto setup and get that taken care of.... this will make them all play at the proper SPL levels and your center will no longer seem too quite. If that's not helping than your probably need to check for acoustic problems in the room affecting the centers performance... which if this is a dedicated HT you should do anyway.

Try and find centers to match your infinity's (made by Infinity for your mains) anything else will not be timbred.. you could also use another main as a center.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I'd recommend David Lee from the New York Knicks as an excellent choice for a center. While small by 7' standards, he consistently puts up 20/10's against virtually every team in the NBA, is not afraid of confrontation, and gives his A game even when his team plays poorly. His contract is up this year so be prepared for a bidding war.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #4 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

I'd recommend David Lee from the New York Knicks as an excellent choice for a center. While small by 7' standards, he consistently puts up 20/10's against virtually every team in the NBA, is not afraid of confrontation, and gives his A game even when his team plays poorly. His contract is up this year so be prepared for a bidding war.

+1 LOL!
Chris
post #5 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

But he plays for the Knicks... FAIL.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

First of all if it's way too quiet you haven't set them up properly... get out your SPL meter or run your AVR's auto setup and get that taken care of.... this will make them all play at the proper SPL levels and your center will no longer seem too quite. If that's not helping than your probably need to check for acoustic problems in the room affecting the centers performance... which if this is a dedicated HT you should do anyway..

Yeah I have run all of the Audyssey MultEQ setup and am not happy at all with the level of the center. I'll do some research into that as well. The klipsch horn tends to make me want to poke my eardrums with a sharp #2 pencil, but that's what I get for buying it without listening to it first.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byzandula View Post

Yeah I have run all of the Audyssey MultEQ setup and am not happy at all with the level of the center. I'll do some research into that as well. The klipsch horn tends to make me want to poke my eardrums with a sharp #2 pencil, but that's what I get for buying it without listening to it first.

yea Klipsch does the same for me..even in my treated room they hurt. But the do do a great job at throwing out good clear vocals...
you can use an SPL meter to double check your Auto EQ.. but it's probably due to relections off of a bare floor, walls, ceiling and real wall... all of the surface really kill clarity if left untreated with accoustic panels.

Audyssey does absolutely nothing to fix reflection issues... all it does is applies filters to fix peaks and nulls caused by the room (Room Correction) to give you a flatter response at the seating area.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

...Any other recommendations for a solid center?

To match Infinity IL models I'd look for a used Infinity cc-3 speaker. Was a great center channel in its day. You can usually find a few on Ebay or Audiogon.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

My room is about 14'x26'. From everything I have read I would really love to get my hands on an Infinity Beta C360, but alas, I can't find one available anywhere.

There's one for sale on here in the "Speakers and Subs for sale" forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...do=ad&id=12986

They pop on ebay every once in a while. I just watched a black one sell a week or so ago.

I spent about a year or so looking for a solid yet cheap C360, then realized after buying this TV I have now, that the c360 is too small for me. You'll see one pop up on ebay about every 6-8 weeks.

*edit* Depending on your setup, you could use an IL10 or Beta20 as a center. I rocked a Beta20 as a center for a while and it worked fine.

YID DIY
post #10 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover View Post

To match Infinity IL models I'd look for a used Infinity cc-3 speaker. Was a great center channel in its day. You can usually find a few on Ebay or Audiogon.

The CC-3 doesn't employ CMMD drivers like the Interludes, IIRC. So, beyond the badge, not a match at all.

Good luck on finding a C360. Like Looneybomber, I scoured the net for a long time before finally getting a black one.
post #11 of 21 Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae View Post

The CC-3 doesn't employ CMMD drivers like the Interludes, IIRC. So, beyond the badge, not a match at all.

Good luck on finding a C360. Like Looneybomber, I scoured the net for a long time before finally getting a black one.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

I spent about a year or so looking for a solid yet cheap C360, then realized after buying this TV I have now, that the c360 is too small for me. You'll see one pop up on ebay about every 6-8 weeks.

Too small? I thought that the C360 was supposed to be a pretty big center speaker. Should I look for something even larger?
post #13 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chu gai View Post

i'd recommend david lee from the new york knicks as an excellent choice for a center. While small by 7' standards, he consistently puts up 20/10's against virtually every team in the nba, is not afraid of confrontation, and gives his a game even when his team plays poorly. His contract is up this year so be prepared for a bidding war.

lmao!!!!
post #14 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too small? I thought that the C360 was supposed to be a pretty big center speaker. Should I look for something even larger?

Well, my tv base is 16.5" deep and the c360 is only ~12" deep. Also, the wife wants a center that is equal to the width of the TV so now I'm looking at modifying (making it wider and not quite as deep) this design.

But the wife wants it finished like these.

Who would have thought WAF would dictate going from a Beta c360 up to a center speaker ~51" wide and over 100lbs!?

YID DIY
post #15 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM

maybe its also time to upgrade the wife...
post #16 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda View Post

maybe its also time to upgrade the wife...

No, I think most AVS members would appreciate her preference!
post #17 of 21 Old 03-17-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Well, my tv base is 16.5" deep and the c360 is only ~12" deep. Also, the wife wants a center that is equal to the width of the TV so now I'm looking at modifying (making it wider and not quite as deep) this design.

Who would have thought WAF would dictate going from a Beta c360 up to a center speaker ~51" wide and over 100lbs!?

Those speakers do look quite sexy. I'll be happy to do a wife swap with you for a few weeks so that I can get more toys.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Just an FYI, there's a c360 on ebay right now. 4 days left.

YID DIY
post #19 of 21 Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Those speakers do look quite sexy. I'll be happy to do a wife swap with you for a few weeks so that I can get more toys.

- That's what I'm talkin' about...
post #20 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

I just won an auction for a beta C360 on ebay... Now I get to ditch the klipsch!!!
post #21 of 21 Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just won an auction for a beta C360 on ebay... Now I get to ditch the klipsch!!!

Congrats man. And no wife swap needed!

YID DIY
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page