Klipsch LightSpeaker - reviews or thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Does anyone own or use the Klipsch LightSpeaker system (http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...em-overview/)? These seem like an amazing product for folks with home install barriers like myself. Without taking on an incredible expense I can't wire my family room easily for rear surrounds and am curious if these are good (or even serviceable) options. The price is awfully steep at $599 a pair (including transmitter) but it may be worthwhile to fix my room issues.

I don't want to be the guinea pig on these...but I may have no choice...

I did a search and couldn't find an existing thread on this.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
These are interesting but there is no way I would shell out this kind of money unless I had auditioned them and knew the sound was acceptable. Of couse that is true for any speaker that costs $599.
Maybe its the best thing since sliced bread but I just don't see how it can be with a 2.5" Micro Cellulose Polymer cone with integrated high frequency disperser.

These do not screw into any ol' light socket either, they are for recessed light fixtures.
So unless you just happen to have a couple of those in acceptable locations I don't see how installing these speakers can be much more cost effective than installing real architectural speakers.

If you go with the 'light speakers' please post your impressions of them.

Regards,
Charlie

post #3 of 8 Old 03-19-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

These are interesting but there is no way I would shell out this kind of money unless I had auditioned them and knew the sound was acceptable. Of couse that is true for any speaker that costs $599.
Maybe its the best thing since sliced bread but I just don't see how it can be with a 2.5" Micro Cellulose Polymer cone with integrated high frequency disperser.

These do not screw into any ol' light socket either, they are for recessed light fixtures.
So unless you just happen to have a couple of those in acceptable locations I don't see how installing these speakers can be much more cost effective than installing real architectural speakers.

If you go with the 'light speakers' please post your impressions of them.

Agreed on the price. Unless I could find a way to get them at around 1/2 that price I can't stomach a blind buy on a new set. For that price I think I could get a pro-install of surrounds and use some quality surrounds I have laying around. I do happen to have two perfectly placed recessed fixtures for which this would work. I read a report saying that if these take off they plan on working on other models that don't require the recessed design.

I saw on their site that HHGregg is a re-seller so next time I am near one of their stores I'll pop in to see if they exist. I just figured at least one AVSF reader had them and could give us some ideas.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The main purpose of this product is to add background music to 1 or more rooms with out the added expensive of hiring someone to run the wires, buy speakers and either add a second zone receiver or amp to power. In some houses, this would be nearly impossible anyways.

At $599 per pair, these are reasonable considering the ease of use and install but keep in mind that they are for background music and not intended for surround use.

Plus, they have a light built in so you won't be in the dark if you add these to a recessed lighting fixture.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Liked: 10
The lightswitch to the recessed can must be 'on' for the speaker to work because it gets it's power from the edison socket. So if you don't want the light on, no audio?

Transmitter source inputs are RCA only.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaze View Post

The lightswitch to the recessed can must be 'on' for the speaker to work because it gets it's power from the edison socket. So if you don't want the light on, no audio?

I believe its designed to be hooked to a dimmer switch which you can dim all the way down to off yet have the speakers play.

post #7 of 8 Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM

I am in the same boat here as I want to put sound in the entry area / bar area of the home, my restrictions are that I am there for 2 - 3 years then will likely move. I am having an installer do other set up in the home but if I go with some in wall speakers I have to put something back inthe hole when I leave or lose them, not sure how much use I would have for the light speaker system but I suppose it could go in a bedroom in the future

What kind of sound do these put out ? If I got the sub that wen twitch them is it worth it over a songs and sub system or just getting in walls and a sub and powering them with a two channel amp - I want it to be the sound for a 50 inch plasma and for music
post #8 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM

I'm in pretty much the same boat but own the house. Was thinking of trying these for rear channel surrounds in a small room since other options aren't practical. Would love any thoughts, not much info out there which I guess in itself tells me something.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page