AVS Forum banner

New HT Suggestions Please: SVS vs. Emotiva vs. Ascend

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Muzikal-JRNE 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I just purchased a new home and I'll be starting a new HT build in the next 30 days. I wanted to get some impressions and advice on my front stage. It seems like many speakers are so evenly matched up between brands that it's tough to decide in between them. The plan is to start with 5.1 and then upgrade to 7.1 in the future.

My Room: I've attached a layout of my great room/viewing room. It's approx 14'x21'x8.5' (2500 cuft) Two open doorways of to the side going to hallway and kitchen. One glass siding door against the other end. Front and rear walls are pretty much solid. Floor is all tile and I'll definitely lay down a large rug in the center of the room to help with the echo.

This system will be used for 80% Movies/TV, 10% PC Gaming and 10% Music. I would like to gear this towards the best Movie experience possible. My budget for my front stage is $1000. (shipping included)

Subwoofer = SVS PB12-NSD, PC12-NSD or HSU equivalent

Power = Emotiva UPA-5 (125 watts x 5 8 ohms, 185 watts x 5 4 ohms)

Receiver = Used as pre-pro only. Whatever the best deal I can find (onkyo, yamaha etc.)

Options:

1. SVS: 3 SCS-01 speakers $525 +shipping

2. Ascend: 3 CMT-340 SE speakers $838 +$50 shipping = $888

3. Emotiva: 3 ERM-6.2 speakers $897 +$30 shipping = $927

Please note that just because my budget is $1k doesn't mean I have to spend it all. Any money saved would go towards a better sub or surround etc. I would prefer to stay below $1k. Going above it would mean that something else would have to suffer. If I went the SVS route than I would prob do a full 7.1 right out of the gate. The other two would be 5.1 then 7.1 6 months later.

What do you folks think? I highly regard ID companies and I'm sure I left out a few (Aperion, Axiom) but I've got to narrow them down at some point and thought that these three setups would be the best fit.

Thanks for your help!!

See less See more
#2 ·
You should only need a $500 receiver to power your setup freeing up more funds for speakers. But if you already have the receiver and amp.

Speaker choice is very subjective thing. It's interesting the three you've chose as they all have a neutral to laid back presentation. Aperion and Axiom are more forward sounding. That doesn't mean better as it's a matter of taste. I would certainly give Aperion a listen as they provide shipping both ways so nothing to lose.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/18398443

You should only need a $500 receiver to power your setup freeing up more funds for speakers. But if you already have the receiver and amp.

Speaker choice is very subjective thing. It's interesting the three you've chose as they all have a neutral to laid back presentation. Aperion and Axiom are more forward sounding. That doesn't mean better as it's a matter of taste. I would certainly give Aperion a listen as they provide shipping both ways so nothing to lose.

Would forward sounding be better for HT?

#4 ·
I auditioned the below speakers before making my purchase:

1. SVS: SCS-01 speakers,

2. Ascend: CMT-340 SE speakers

3. Emotiva: ERM-1 speakers

4. HSU: HB1-mk2 speakers

I ended up going with the CMT-340 SE's due to

A)great sound with the speaker grills on/off

B)higher sensitivity

C)dynamically capable

D)great on movies, music (as well as lower quality cable audio)

I can elaborate on any specific questions you may have, but I have to leave work now

Cheers, Joe

#5 ·
Forward or laid back is totally up to the listener as are bight vs neutral some speaekrs image better than others.. some have clearer vocal the differences go on and on.....this is why it is so important to go audition and find out what you like... asking others what you should by is like asking us what kinda of ice cream should be your favorite.... search for how to audition and go out and let your ears pick not other people.

You should be able to get some really nice Paradigms, B&w etc in your price range.. front stage only without the sub of course.. you can use some old speakers for surrounds for nowand upgrade later if you wish.

For a nice sub on the cheap this one is hard to beat.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-635

Go audition everything you can find....

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE /forum/post/18399412

I auditioned the below speakers before making my purchase:

1. SVS: SCS-01 speakers,

2. Ascend: CMT-340 SE speakers

3. Emotiva: ERM-1 speakers

4. HSU: HB1-mk2 speakers

I ended up going with the CMT-340 SE's due to

A)great sound with the speaker grills on/off

B)higher sensitivity

C)dynamically capable

D)great on movies, music (as well as lower quality cable audio)

I can elaborate on any specific questions you may have, but I have to leave work now

Cheers, Joe

Ya, the CMT-340's were my first choice and I won't have my house for another month so I can't help but read, re-read and second guess myself. What are you using to power your ascends?

Can you please compare your experience between the SCS-01s and the Ascends? On the exterior they look like very similar speakers. I'm interested in specifically HT/Movie performance. Both are excellent value's and would by right in my price range....

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesi /forum/post/18399607

Ya, the CMT-340's were my first choice and I won't have my house for another month so I can't help but read, re-read and second guess myself. What are you using to power your ascends?

Can you please compare your experience between the SCS-01s and the Ascends? On the exterior they look like very similar speakers. I'm interested in specifically HT/Movie performance. Both are excellent value's and would by right in my price range....

I use an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver.

For the price I think the SCS-01s are wonderful. Their on axis frequency response is very similar to the CMT-340's (which is to say is very good). In regards to HT/ movie duty the Ascends are 2-3db more sensitive then the SVSs and have "slightly" lower bass extension/output (due to them being a rear ported design). The SVSs are a sealed design which helps them be less sensitive to (rear wall distance) placement. They will both play loud without significant distortion (if running them with a high pass crossover 60-80Hz). I think you would be happy with either.

The CMT-340's have a "magic" factor on high quality music recordings that really let you experience the space that the recording was made in, but for movies it is less noticeable.

FYI... I use a 500W custom built subwoofer with a 15" driver and two 18" passive radiators in my HT/music system and the Ascends have kept up wonderfully.

Cheers, Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.