Center Speaker Distortion - AVS Forum
Speakers > Center Speaker Distortion
720p's Avatar 720p 01:10 PM 03-29-2010
On a few movies I get distortion on my center speaker. The distortion happens when a man & mostly woman yells during the movie. The distortion sounds like clipping as if I'm playing a badly encoded (clipped) mp3 file.

Now all my speakers are practically the same. The wires & plugs are expensive and the center is bi-wired. I always listen at low levels and all the speakers have been calibrated by amp and/or sound meter. I'm sure the center is not damaged as I can crank up the sound far beyond my listening levels.

I have recalibrated to no effect. The clipping may happen once or twice during the movie or not at all. Any ideas what's wrong? During the clipping the speaker is cracking and you can't but cringe.

afrogt's Avatar afrogt 01:44 PM 03-29-2010
What receiver do you have?
Menasor's Avatar Menasor 01:49 PM 03-29-2010
How high are you turning up the volume? Sounds like you might not be giving the center enough power. The center speaker plays most of the sound in the HT track so it gets pushed the hardest.
720p's Avatar 720p 02:26 PM 03-29-2010
It's an old yammy receiver 7x130w rms. 5 channels driven it gives out a mere 32w per channel but that shouldn't be a problem as the clipping happens at quiet parts of the film when one decides to shout.

If I turn up the volume I think it will just clip & distort more. If I set my receiver to 5ch stereo the center keeps up just fine with the rest of the speakers.
Menasor's Avatar Menasor 02:57 PM 03-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 720p View Post

It's an old yammy receiver 7x130w rms. 5 channels driven it gives out a mere 32w per channel but that shouldn't be a problem as the clipping happens at quiet parts of the film when one decides to shout.

If I turn up the volume I think it will just clip & distort more. If I set my receiver to 5ch stereo the center keeps up just fine with the rest of the speakers.

What are you watching? a DVD? Bluray? divx? x264 bluray rip? It might be a source. Does this happen with everything you watch? Are you using PS3 Media Server?
cdy2179's Avatar cdy2179 03:01 PM 03-29-2010
swithc wires and make one of the mains play center during a scene that you know does it and see if its the speaker or the AVR.
720p's Avatar 720p 03:15 AM 03-30-2010
Sorry should have mentioned it is on dvd as that's what I mostly watch. I already had 2 dvd players and one blu-ray plus htpc so it's definately not the source. They all do it. Not using PS3 either. Next time I happen to find a scene with the clipping I'll mark the time & volume level and start switching speakers.
It is as if the very top end of the dynamic range is being clipped (cut) off and replaced by crackling and distortion. It only lasts 2-3 seconds so I always forget about it so thought I ask here, maybe a simple explanation exists. I did a search on the forum and while I found others complaining about the same issue no straight answers were given. I'd understand if we were talking about cheap plastic tv speakers with cheap build-in amp driven very high but this is not the case.
If you have a dvd where you get the same problem just say the time stamp and will rent it and test.
Up
Mobile  Desktop