Ready get my bookshelfs... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
to match my Onkyo Tx-8555. I have narrowed it down to the Polk RTi A1 or Energy CB-20. It's just a 2 channel stereo setup for a gameroom for music only. Thinking of adding a sub after a while. Can anyone recommend one or the other? It seems like the Polk's are the safer, more popular pick, but the specs on the Energy's look good too.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
for the price of the CB-20 you can get RC-10s which are better speakers. better build quality, better finish, better drivers.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

The RC line is a step above the CB series. RC-10 is normally $599.

Afro GT
post #3 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 AM

I am not an audiophile. I'm quite new to utilizing quality speakers and none of what I am about to say is objective in the proper sense. This is all my impression based on how I enjoy sounds in my home. Some of the more informed audiophiles may be able to present you a rational/objective comparison and numbers to support their argument. I cannot as I've not compared the CB-20 speakers to any Polk speakers. Here endeth my disclosure

I bought a pair of Energy CB-20 speakers about a month ago. They're connected to my Onkyo TX-SR607 and are employed in general use (music, movies, gaming [XBox 360]). I made my selection by listening to the speakers extensively at a retailer, comparing them to similar Paradigm bookshelf speakers (I'm afraid I don't know what model). Having played the cello when I was much younger the clarity of this instrument in recordings biased my decision in favor of the Energy product. While the Paradigms sounded beautiful I picked out cellos just slightly better on the Energies.

I am exceptionally happy with the purchase. These are the clearest speakers I have ever attached to my entertainment center (that's not much of an endorsement, however, as my experience is decidedly limited).

I've put them through their paces with music (MP3s, AACs and CDs) quite a bit since I installed them. The sound is stunning and clear. Female vocalists sound, in my limited experience, beyond wonderful. Rock music is clear, well defined and fun to listen to. Classical music is so stunning on these speakers that I have begun to question how I ever survived with the Bose bookshelves I used for so many years.

I have also gamed heavily with these speakers, deliberately paying attention to the detail heard in:
* Borderlands
* Forza 3 (the speakers make this game shine even more than it had previously)
* Battlestations: Pacific (the CB-20s large woofers make the game's big bore guns something to behold)
* Gears of War 2 (I can only describe this game's sound on the CB-20s with a BIG EVIL GRIN)

I stream between 5 and 10 movies per week on NetFlix via my XBox and they all sound wonderful. Blu Rays are also exceptional, Patton's soundtrack sounded particularly amazing.

Based on personal bias I would recommend the CB-20s or the similar Paradigm product. Objectively, I would highly recommend that you go to a retailer and compare as many similar speakers as you can and choose the ones which you enjoy the most.

[edit!]

To afrogt's point - my retailer did not have RC-10s in stock during my audition, last month. I was also given a nice discount on the CB-20s.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 AM

I would try to get a listen to a pair of Paradigm Mini-monitors. I believe they would be right in the middle of the two speakers your looking at. Being that the Energy's tend to be warm sounding while the Polk's are on the bright side. The Paradigms are very neutral and the Mini-monitors put out great sound. Worth a look IMO
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe the CB series is brighter sounding than the RC series. This is according to folks in the Energy Owners thread who have tried out the new CB and CF line. This new series is the first influenced by the Klipsch ownership of Energy. The RC line was established before Klipsch took over and have the well known "Energy" laid back or neutral sound. Some actually call it warm.

Afro GT
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

for the price of the CB-20 you can get RC-10s which are better speakers. better build quality, better finish, better drivers.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

The RC line is a step above the CB series. RC-10 is normally $599.

+1, by far the superior speaker.

Ron
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page