Neither of them 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pair of Polk RTi12 and a pair of Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE. I use a Pioneer 1019 receiver to power them.

I tried to listen to both with different kind of music and movies that I have and found them to be similar sounding.

Both speakers have the same efficiency: 90dB

Polk's driver components are:
Woofer 3 - 7" Diameter Polymer Composite with Rubber surround
Midrange 2 - 5-1/4" Diameter Polymer Composite Dynamic Balance with rubber surround
Tweeter 1 - 1" Diameter Silk/Polymer composite dome

Specs: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/rti12/

Ascend's driver components are:
Woofer (2) proprietary 6.5 long throw polygel cone woofers w/phase plug, non-resonant polymer chassis, rubber surround, shielded
Tweeter (1) High-definition 27mm soft dome tweeter w/damping chamber and wide roll surround, ferrfofluid damped voice coil, wide dispersion faceplate, magnetically shielded

Specs: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340mspecs.html

If cost was not an issue how should I go about zeroing in on the speakers. Polk is definitely more attractive.

Thanks!
-sks2131
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM

If they sound the same to you then either buy the Polks because they look better to you.

I personally am not the biggest fan of Polk and i believe for around $1000 you could do better. Especially if you buy used
post #3 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Since you brought up the topic on price, I bought the Polk RTi12 for $800 and Ascend CMT-340SE for $670 with the pedestal stand. I am considering Polk CSi3 if I go with Polk and CMT-340SE C if I go with Ascend. The price with the center channels are close to $1100 for both Polk and Ascend.

What other speakers would be good at this price range (for front+center)?

I prefer to go for new ones because this is the first time I am going to own a music system and I have waited long
post #4 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sks2131 View Post

Since you brought up the topic on price, I bought the Polk RTi12 for $800 and Ascend CMT-340SE for $670 with the pedestal stand. I am considering Polk CSi3 if I go with Polk and CMT-340SE C if I go with Ascend. The price with the center channels are close to $1100 for both Polk and Ascend.

What other speakers would be good at this price range (for front+center)?
I prefer to go for new ones because this is the first time I am going to own a music system and I have waited long

PSB Image series, B&W 600 series, Revel Concerta series, Paradigm SE series, ERA D4/D5s, Dali, KEF, etc...

I take it you can return both pairs of speakers that you already own?

Your preference for new is fine but your reason for it ought to lead you towards speakers that have been "gently used" by audiophiles, ideally the crazed sort.

Ron
post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Not sure if you have the pricing right with the Ascends....total should be closer to $1K with shipping.

As Ron said, used is a good route, but you need to be comfortable with the seller, and the warranty is transferable.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

PSB Image series, B&W 600 series, Revel Concerta series, Paradigm SE series, ERA D4/D5s, Dali, KEF, etc...

Ron

Thanks Ron. Apart from PSB all other speakers cost upward of $1200 for front speakers. Adding a center channel would mean I have to increase my budget by $500. I'd prefer to stick to $1100 for L/R/C.

Another speaker I came across was Klipsch RF-62 though I've not auditioned it. Any thoughts on this? What is a Klipsch sound that I keep seeing on other threads?

How much importance should I give to a speaker's sensitivity considering I use a Pioneer 1019?
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like to thank you for your suggestion through posts or votes.

I decided to go for a used Rocket RS-850 for the fronts and skipping the center channel for sometime. I felt the RS-850 had a better clarity for the high notes when compared to Polk and Ascend.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page