KLH 5 Speakers worth $150? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the link for a pair of KLH 5 Speakers for $175. Worth it?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ele/1697171417.html

I can't find out much about these speakers. Made late 60's early seventies. Retailed for 4-$500 I think. Anyone know anything about them? Should they sound okay for music in my semi large room?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Owned a pair many years ago and thought they were excellent speakers. Very smooth and neutral sounding, with good bass (the acoustic suspension bass design was one of the best, and I don't understand why it isn't in more use these days).

But overall, a somewhat laid back sound, which may or may not appeal to you. I loved it and regret ever letting them go.

Don't remember what I paid (new), but I think it was less than $400-$500, and I can't comment on their current worth. But IMO the Five was one of the best speakers ever to come out of KLH.

Best wishes in making your decision.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
leiff -- There is nothing wrong with older speakers. Many of them are better quality speakers than the newer ones are. Those KLHs, I believe, were designed by Henry Kloss, the "K" in KLH, before he left KLH to start Advent. The only caution is to watch out for the woofer surrounds (depending on the materials, they can degrade).

I'm using a pair of old JBL L86 speakers (vintage early '60s). They are also excellent speakers, but were stored for many years and the woofer surrounds had deteriorated. I had to get them professionally re-coned (at a total cost of about $225 - they have 8" woofers). Fortunately, they were in the family, so I got them for the cost of the re-coning.

Since I think you are not too far from the seller, I would recommend that you go see them for yourself. It's hard to tell from the, small, pictures, but the woofer cones look to be in good condition. I would agree that the slight denting of one of the center "dust" caps on the midrange is of no consequence. For $175, they would be a good purchase.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #4 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I test listen to these I should make sure sound is coming out of all 3 tweeters per speaker right? How big a deal is it if it's not? Will I be able to tell easy by listening to the woofer surrounds if they need re-coning? Thanks for advice. So speakers can still sound just as good decades later huh. That's pretty cool, that is as long as they continue to keep working well for a while yet ofcoarse.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I knew Henry Kloss who designed speakers for AR, KLH, Advent and others.

The KLH 6 was a two way spkr. (tweeter deficient by todays standards) which sold for $134 each.

The KLH 5 is a KLH 6 with two midranges for $180 each. It was made to make money.

Henry always preferred the KLH 6 to the KLH 5, though he designed both.

If you are looking for a retro speaker, go for the Larger Advents. They were designed by Henry Kloss and have a much better high end and low end. There are tons on eBay, and you can get them for less than your price on the 5s. Henry liked the Advents better than the KLH 6 or 5.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

The KLH 6 was a two way spkr. (tweeter deficient by todays standards) which sold for $134 each.

The KLH 5 is a KLH 6 with two midranges for $180 each. It was made to make money.

Henry always preferred the KLH 6 to the KLH 5, though he designed both.

If you are looking for a retro speaker, go for the Larger Advents. They were designed by Henry Kloss and have a much better high end and low end. There are tons on eBay, and you can get them for less than your price on the 5s. Henry liked the Advents better than the KLH 6 or 5.

I'll have to throw in a big disagreement here. I owned the 6's and the 5's, The 5 wasn't just a 6 with two midranges stuck on. It was a smaller-cabinet version of the top-of-the-line model 12, which was the smoothest, most natrual sounding speaker to come out of the 1960's and 70's, IMHO. The 5 is just as good above 100 Hz, but it does have some midbass bloom due to the smaller cabinet volume. The midranges were two of the best small acoustic suspension drivers made--KLH used one of those actively equalized in their famous FM radio and "suit case" stereo. The 6, on the other hand, suffered from the same upper midrange, lower treble colorations that plagued all of those 2-way designs with 10" woofers (including the larger Advent, which I also owned briefly). The woofer had to run too high, and the result was narrowed dispersion and driver break-up at the top. I only kept my 6's for about 6 months because of the colored string sound. I traded them in for a pair of 5's and kept them for about 20 years. For a total speaker nut like me, that's an amazing run. Bottom line--if all of the drivers are working and the surrounds are OK (just take off the velcro-secured grill), you will have some excellent speakers. I wish I still had mine.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

All I said is what Henry told me. I sold stereo equipment years ago, and I liked the 6s better than the 5s, and the Advents over both.

Back then, Absolute Sound tested double stacked Advents and said it was one of the best speaker systems they had heard.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I said is what Henry told me. I sold stereo equipment years ago, and I liked the 6s better than the 5s, and the Advents over both.

Back then, Absolute Sound tested double stacked Advents and said it was one of the best speaker systems they had heard.

I also read that Henry didn't regard the 5 as a very important speaker, which always puzzled me. It did sound best on or near the ground, however. Neither Henry nor anyone else new much about baffle step compensation in those days, and getting the woofer closser to the floor helped bring the mids into better balance. Anyhow, it's a great speaker and well worth the asking price if it's in good shape. The woofer had a cloth surround, so it shouldn't deteriorate like the foam surrounds from that period.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

May 2010 Stereophile on Advent Loudspeaker:

Gordon Holt: "After several weeks of listening, we STILL haven't found anything to complain about. We couldn't even find any sonic characteristics to hang adjectives on, in order to try to describe their sond. They were, in fact, the LEAST colored loudspeakers we have ever heard, and this includes the highest priced systems currently available" Also commented on good dispersion and stereo imaging. (Emphasis in original)

Art Dudley: "I can't think of a $500 or even $1000 speaker made today that matches the Advents' very agreeable performance overall."

The Advents are 40 years old.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

As for the Advent foam surrounds on the woofer, yes, after 40 years they rot. There are numerous cheap ($30) resurround kits with new foam surrounds, glue, etc. They are VERY easy to use. I have done several and i"m no tch.

Alternatively, buy a pair of Advents which says it has new surrounds.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

were designed by Henry Kloss, the "K" in KLH

Isn't the KL for KLOSS and the H for Henry? That's what I always thought.

Afro GT
post #12 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Isn't the KL for KLOSS and the H for Henry? That's what I always thought.

http://knol.google.com/k/klh-model-six-speakers#

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #13 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Learn something new every day. Thanks for the link! I was gonna look it up before posting but I knew someone would correct me if I was wrong.

Afro GT
post #14 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Hey, for all I know, that's wrong too!

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #15 of 17 Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Kloss Low Hoffman = KLH
post #16 of 17 Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:

As a postscript to this thread, I believe the speaker that was meant to be a deluxe version of the 6 was the model 7. It was a modest-sized two-way floorstander with the same woofer as the 6, but in a bigger acoustic suspension cabinet. It also featured two of the 6's tweeters (in a side-by-side arrangement).

The model 7 never got very well known in the KLH line, but I owned a pair for several years and thought they sounded better than the 6's. But I traded mine for the 5's, which IMO was a much better speaker.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post

As a postscript to this thread, I believe the speaker that was meant to be a deluxe version of the 6 was the model 7. It was a modest-sized two-way floorstander with the same woofer as the 6, but in a bigger acoustic suspension cabinet. It also featured two of the 6's tweeters (in a side-by-side arrangement).

The model 7 never got very well known in the KLH line, but I owned a pair for several years and thought they sounded better than the 6's. But I traded mine for the 5's, which IMO was a much better speaker.

You learn something every day. I never realized KLH ever produced a
model 7. Anyhow, I'm glad we agree on the 5's.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page