Can I use center channel speakers for my rear surrounds in a 5.1 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 2 Infinity sm152's for L and R and an Infinity sm center. Can I use 2 more sm centers for my surrounds in a 5.1 setup ? I would end up with (2 )152's and (3) sm centers.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierguy View Post

I have 2 Infinity sm152's for L and R and an Infinity sm center. Can I use 2 more sm centers for my surrounds in a 5.1 setup ? I would end up with (2 )152's and (3) sm centers.

thanks!

Why? just buy rears instead
Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

I already have the extra sm centers. I realize this is a mediocre quality setup but are the sm centers suitable for the rear ? Thanks
Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:

I realize this is a mediocre quality setup but are the sm centers suitable for the rear ?

They're fine for surrounds or fronts. Stand them up vertically for better horizontal dispersion.

Sanjay
Old 04-19-2010, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hoosierguy -- Be careful of your semantics. Rear surrounds are the two rear speakers in a 7.1 channel setup. The surround speakers are the two surround speakers in a 5.1 channel setup, and are placed on each side of the listening position(s). Also, they should be connected to the "Surround" speaker terminals on your AVR, and not the "Rear Surround" terminals (they won't output any sound if you make that mistake).

Also, the surround speakers should be placed at least 2' above the seated position of the listener's heads (and they should not be aimed at the listeners - they provide ambiance sound).

Any type of speaker can be used for surround sound channels, as a temporary measure, until finances permit the future speaker system upgrades.

Since you have two extra center channel speakers, you can certainly use them for surround speakers (I'm currently using ordinary small bookshelf speakers in my setup). However, they will not be as good as using speakers specifically designed for the (side) surround speaker purposes (with a wide, 180 degree, dispersion -- usually either bi-polar or di-polar designs)

- Claus {non-Santa model}
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Sometimes there's a division of opinion (dipole/bipole vs direct radiator) along "music vs movies" lines.

Surround mixes of studio albums like those found on many SACD or DVD-A discs often benefit from using 5 direct-radiator speakers, which more closely replicate what was heard in the studio during mixdown. So many for whom surround-music listening is a priority use direct radiating speakers, and are willing to sacrifice the more enveloping diffusion of bipole or dipole surround speakers.

Most surround mixes in movies are designed for that sort of envelopment, which direct radiators tend to work against.

In some situations where diffusion is desired but only direct radiators are available, careful placement and aiming can help. Instead of aiming the speakers directly at the listeners, aim them so that much of the sound reflects from a nearby wall or ceiling (or both) before reaching the listeners. Some people have had success placing the surrounds behind the listeners and aiming them at the ceiling, or at the side walls. In this sort of setup, be sure to add the entire distance the sound travels when setting speaker delay values in the processor setup.

Experimentation can be worthwhile.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World