Mythos STS speaker cabinet rattling - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-20-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a pair of STS and when I got them home I put the granite base on and hooked them up. I turned the base volume to 1am like the owner's manual suggested and played Billy Idol's Prodigal Blues. I walked around the back of the speaker while they were playing and heard a little rattling and squeaking noise coming from the speaker. I think the squeaking was coming from the base and tightened the screws, which seemed to help. The rattling however continued and seemed to come from the side of the tower (inside) and up near the cap of the tower. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 143
"near the cap of the tower"? Do you mean the top of the speaker? I haven't noticed any rattling from my STS's, and the top where the MTM is seems to actually be the most acoustically inert surface on the tower. Have you tried emailing DefTech support?

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
post #3 of 10 Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

"near the cap of the tower"? Do you mean the top of the speaker? I haven't noticed any rattling from my STS's, and the top where the MTM is seems to actually be the most acoustically inert surface on the tower. Have you tried emailing DefTech support?

Yes, the top of the speaker. It is a buzzing/rattling noise when the base fires. It sounds internal to me or like the top of the speaker is rattling where it meets the side. Also, I heard a little rattle/buzz coming from the middle of the side of the speaker that seemed to go away when I pushed in on both sides of the speaker. Anyone have this issue or know what might be causing it?
post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Try taking the grill off and listening again. I have heard a couple stories of the grill pins rattling.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5 of 10 Old 05-15-2010, 06:29 PM

One of my buddies had a similar problem with his ST's, but he also heard a humming, which Def Tech the replaced the speaker.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-12-2010, 08:00 PM

Liked: 11
I notice I have a slight rattle/Buzz at the top of my STSs. I will be calling Deffinitive tomorrow. Did you get your speakers fixed?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Also verify all the screws are tightened. Vibration/transport may cause them to back out a touch. And there are a lot of screws.

~Nick

post #8 of 10 Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenndcl View Post

I recently purchased a pair of STS and when I got them home I put the granite base on and hooked them up. I turned the base volume to 1am like the owner's manual suggested and played Billy Idol's Prodigal Blues. I walked around the back of the speaker while they were playing and heard a little rattling and squeaking noise coming from the speaker. I think the squeaking was coming from the base and tightened the screws, which seemed to help. The rattling however continued and seemed to come from the side of the tower (inside) and up near the cap of the tower. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?

FWIW, that song is LOADED with tons of very deep bass. Knowing this, I would have been a little more cautious at first and perhaps turned the bass down. This recording is capable of doing damage to a speaker. I hope your speaker is okay...did you keep the box and packaging?

Espo77
post #9 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

FWIW, that song is LOADED with tons of very deep bass. Knowing this, I would have been a little more cautious at first and perhaps turned the bass down. This recording is capable of doing damage to a speaker. I hope your speaker is okay...did you keep the box and packaging?

I set them to the factory recommended settings was pretty careful turning them on because it was the first time they had been used and I am sure they have a break in period (like a new car). I did keep the packaging and ended up sending it back. Received a new set and they did not rattle.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenndcl View Post

I set them to the factory recommended settings was pretty careful turning them on because it was the first time they had been used and I am sure they have a break in period (like a new car). I did keep the packaging and ended up sending it back. Received a new set and they did not rattle.

First, as a previous poster mentioned, try without the grills on. This was a problem with the ST's in the past. If its the grills, that should be an easy fix under warranty. If it still rattles with grills off, then take back to dealer to be replaced! Most all def tech dealers are excellent to work with, especially because problems like this are not frequent. I had a problem with my st binding post when I brought it home. I called the dealer and had a replacement within a few days. Also, the best person to speak with at def tech customer support is Chet. I have spoken with someone live every time I have called. Def Tech has great customer service.

The bottom line- you have awesome speakers that should be able to be played loud with tons of bass with 0 defects. If there is a problem, don't live with it - get it fixed or replaced. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page