Build an home Audio system for under $1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hello everyone. I'm looking for advice on a home audio system. I currently have a Samsung UN55B8500 TV. I'm in major need of a decent sound system. I'm looking to build a great system and would like to start off for no more then $1000 after tax. If you could find any great sets/speakers at best buy, that would be even better. Main concern right now is audio system to build for under $1000. I dont mind spending $1000 now then adding to the system later. Im just trying to get a better sound system for the Tv now. I do need a reciever with this set as well. I'd even settle for having 2 speakers, a sub, and reciever for $1000 and will upgrade later. Maybe even just 2 speakers and a reciever will be good for now. I plan on adding no matter what. I'm just very new when it comes to home audio. Very good with car audio but that has nothing to do with home audio. lol. Thanks in advanced for help. Again. If this system can be found at best buy. That would be even better. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 06:05 PM

Liked: 11
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=9846396 - $400 (pre-order though)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+...&skuId=9385747 - $600

Or you could find the Pioneer VSX-919 on Ebay for $300 and go with Energy Micro's, Def Tech Pro Cinema 600's (or 800's if you find them used). I just picked up a Def Tech ProCinema 80's set (older version of the 800's) for $370 shipped off of ebay and then a Harman Kardon AVR 1600 for $280 shipped from the HK refurb store (so I get the full Manufacturer's warranty). There is also the Polk Audio RM6750's from Newegg.com for $235 shipped but I'd suggest getting a different sub like the Hsu STF-1 or Elemental Designs A3S-250. You run that setup (Polk, Elemental Designs, Pioneer/HK) and you are looking at $885 and that's out the door.

I've got some stuff...but I need more stuff.
post #3 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog51 View Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=9846396 - $400 (pre-order though)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+...&skuId=9385747 - $600

Or you could find the Pioneer VSX-919 on Ebay for $300 and go with Energy Micro's, Def Tech Pro Cinema 600's (or 800's if you find them used). I just picked up a Def Tech ProCinema 80's set (older version of the 800's) for $370 shipped off of ebay and then a Harman Kardon AVR 1600 for $280 shipped from the HK refurb store (so I get the full Manufacturer's warranty). There is also the Polk Audio RM6750's from Newegg.com for $235 shipped but I'd suggest getting a different sub like the Hsu STF-1 or Elemental Designs A3S-250. You run that setup (Polk, Elemental Designs, Pioneer/HK) and you are looking at $885 and that's out the door.

Thanks! Do you have any products that are floor standing speakers? I've heard they work best compared to the small speakers. Or is this simply not true?
post #4 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
You can find a great deal of parity between good stand mounted monitors and floor standers if you are using a subwoofer (or even without if you are looking at good monitors).

For<$1,000 I'd look at the receiver, 2 mains and maybe a sub route. You can find some smoking deals on refurb units on eBay or across the web. Add two decent speakers (PSB Image B5, Paradigm Atoms or Titans) and a decen t sub and you'll be impressed.

Example: Harmon Kardon refurb AVR 2600 ~$275, PSB Image B5 ~$400 (MSRP) and elemental Designs A2-250 $325. ~$1,000

If you are looking at getting into surround sound from the start then you will be looking at more home theater in a box style speaker systems. Some can sound pretty darn good, such as the previously mentioned Energy Take system. Tied to a decent AVR (again, I'd probably look at Audiogon, eBay, the classified section here or else where for this) and an affordable ID sub from eD, SVS, Hsu and you can be set at that budget.

If it were me I'd go with 2 better speakers and a sub to start.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah if you keep your eyes open and don't rush your buy, you can find a good sale on quality used gear. Craigslist, ebay, various forum classifieds, and even mixed in some non-classifieds threads.

I second buying a good L/R, sub and receiver. It's better to get those of good quality than a whole 5.1 or 7.1 that's a bit mediocre. You don't have to get towers either, but small bookshelfs don't do too well as mains.

YID DIY
post #6 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

You can find a great deal of parity between good stand mounted monitors and floor standers if you are using a subwoofer (or even without if you are looking at good monitors).

For<$1,000 I'd look at the receiver, 2 mains and maybe a sub route. You can find some smoking deals on refurb units on eBay or across the web. Add two decent speakers (PSB Image B5, Paradigm Atoms or Titans) and a decen t sub and you'll be impressed.

Example: Harmon Kardon refurb AVR 2600 ~$275, PSB Image B5 ~$400 (MSRP) and elemental Designs A2-250 $325. ~$1,000

If you are looking at getting into surround sound from the start then you will be looking at more home theater in a box style speaker systems. Some can sound pretty darn good, such as the previously mentioned Energy Take system. Tied to a decent AVR (again, I'd probably look at Audiogon, eBay, the classified section here or else where for this) and an affordable ID sub from eD, SVS, Hsu and you can be set at that budget.

If it were me I'd go with 2 better speakers and a sub to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Yeah if you keep your eyes open and don't rush your buy, you can find a good sale on quality used gear. Craigslist, ebay, various forum classifieds, and even mixed in some non-classifieds threads.

I second buying a good L/R, sub and receiver. It's better to get those of good quality than a whole 5.1 or 7.1 that's a bit mediocre. You don't have to get towers either, but small bookshelfs don't do too well as mains.

Ok. I think thats what I really want to do. It was kinda the 1st idea I had to begin with. So, that being said. Anyone one know of buying a good L/R, sub and receiver? Or Just the main L/R for now under $1000 from best buy?
post #7 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Ok. I think thats what I really want to do. It was kinda the 1st idea I had to begin with. So, that being said. Anyone one know of buying a good L/R, sub and receiver? Or Just the main L/R for now under $1000 from best buy?

Take a look at what Harman Audio is selling their Infinity Cascade speakers for. The 3v speaker model was $849 retail a few months ago but are selling at or under $200. These are refurbished - but the ones I've bought look like new and play very well. Sound quality is excellent.

I have about $1250 into my Cascade 5.1 setup - good luck finding something this good for that price. I have the model 15 sub. The model 15 only plays down to 32hz - a drawback for HT - but it sounds fantastic for music which is what I use it for. I have an Elemental Designs A5-350 for movie nights. If you will only have one sub get something other than the Cascade subs.

The Cascades are unusual - the woofers are flat panel speakers - but not in the sense that most flat panel speakers are. The results is the response of the woofers to fast transient sounds like snare drums is lightning fast. I hear detail in them I haven't with some other very good speaker systems I've owned. I sold a pair of $1600 towers last Nov that didn't sound as good as these.

Forget BestBuy. I've seen very few items on sale there - open box on occasion but thats about it. They aren't there to stretch your dollars.

There are three RBH speakers on sale in the speakers for sale section for $250 each. Great speaker and even better price. I'm surprised they are still there.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #8 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Only reason I wanted it from best buy is because I get a discont and have $3000 in store credit to spend there. (only wanted to spend 1000 on speakers) So I'm just trying to build my dream system. I wonder. What would someone do if they had 3k to get a tv+ sound system. What might one consider getting?

Also. I'm half deaf. I cannot hear out of both ears. Only one. (left) so if I had just 2 main speakers and a reciever I'd be happy I don't need more then that. I have a sub. It's very old but works. I've included the sub as a question because if like to have everyhing new.
post #9 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe even just 2 speakers and a reciever will be good for now. I plan on adding no matter what.

Quote:

Also. I'm half deaf. I cannot hear out of both ears. Only one. (left) so if I had just 2 main speakers and a reciever I'd be happy I don't need more then that. I have a sub. It's very old but works. I've included the sub as a question because if like to have everyhing new.

OK I'm confused - at this point lets get this cleared up - what are you looking for - a 2.1 channel setup or a 5.1 surround setup?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #10 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

OK I'm confused - at this point lets get this cleared up - what are you looking for - a 2.1 channel setup or a 5.1 surround setup?

lol. I'd build up. Is 2.1 2 speakers and a sub? Cause If that's it then yes. I'm looking for that. I'd later upgrade to 5.1. A reciever, sub, and 2 main speakers is what I'm mainly looking for. I'd upgrade to 4/5 speakers later when I have the money. As I said. Idk anything about home audio. I just want better sound from my tv for gaming and movies lol. If 2 big speakers and a sub with a reciever will give me that then I'm all for it. I want full great sound. Always willing to add and upgrade later. I know you can get the HTIB but I don't think those give full sound. Least not loud and crisp like floorspeakers.
post #11 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 PM

Liked: 10
It really depends how much you want to spend in the end. If you went with just a 2.0 right now and added a Sub then a center and rears i think it would lead to a much better system than starting with a 2.1 as i see a good sub eating between $400-600 of that budget.

Ideally i would try to break it down like this:

(Now)
Receiver: $300
Fronts: $700

(Then add these when you have more money)
Center: Match with fronts, but probably around $500
Sub: $600
Rears: 50$-$300

But it depends on what your willing to spend. Because that would have you spending another $1000-$1500 as you build your system. Obviously you can build a system for cheaper but it will not be as good.

Used is also a great way to build a system for cheap
post #12 of 68 Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. I see your point. Idk. My main probelm with a this is idk if I'm looking at a good set of speakers or not. Or if I'm getting a great deal or a horrible one. As I know nothing about home audio. If I can get a good reciever with 2 main speakers that sound great for a great price at best buy. I'd jump the gun on it. But as I said. I have no idea what's a good speaker/deal from a bad one. As well as reciever. It doesn't have to be the best of the best. Top of the line quality. Just can't be crap.
post #13 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. I see your point. Idk. My main probelm with a this is idk if I'm looking at a good set of speakers or not. Or if I'm getting a great deal or a horrible one. As I know nothing about home audio. If I can get a good reciever with 2 main speakers that sound great for a great price at best buy. I'd jump the gun on it. But as I said. I have no idea what's a good speaker/deal from a bad one. As well as reciever. It doesn't have to be the best of the best. Top of the line quality. Just can't be crap.

Best Buy is not the best place to buy speakers. I would try to find some high end audio stores in your area and go listen to some speakers. Its hard to know what you will like because everyone has their preferences.

If I was you i would probably go used. Lots of good deals out there right now.

If it were me i would get something like this: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....20-v5-Black-as

Then this receiver: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...x-sr607/1.html

Then you can add a sub anywhere from $400-600 and have a great 2.1 system for movies and music.
post #14 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

For a strictly 2 channel setup a HK 3390/3490 would be a better choice.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #15 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Do you have a Best Buy Magnolia? I get the point of wanting to use the store with both a discount and credit. See if you can listen to the Polk RTiA5, the DefTech BP7006, and some Martin Logan Motion 10's to get an idea of different sounding speakers and which you may prefer. Also check with them to see what the prices would be for you with said discount.

For the AVR and sub, even though you have a discount and credit at BB, I'd still look online and use that credit for your TV, BDP, etc. Also, any cables you need can be purchased for much, much less money at monoprice.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #16 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 AM

have you been watching the pre owned FS areas,, you can pick up some great gear for way below MSRP and in LN condition,, even craigslist in our area has some very good buys for speakers and receivers,,

Derry

Common sense is not common,,

Gunned 1.6QRs & Altec VOTTs
post #17 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

For a strictly 2 channel setup a HK 3390/3490 would be a better choice.

hmm. Thanks. I will have to look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Do you have a Best Buy Magnolia? I get the point of wanting to use the store with both a discount and credit. See if you can listen to the Polk RTiA5, the DefTech BP7006, and some Martin Logan Motion 10's to get an idea of different sounding speakers and which you may prefer. Also check with them to see what the prices would be for you with said discount.

For the AVR and sub, even though you have a discount and credit at BB, I'd still look online and use that credit for your TV, BDP, etc. Also, any cables you need can be purchased for much, much less money at monoprice.

yes. We have a magnolia section. We have a very very big magnolia section lol. I will go there today and listen to a set. A friend of mine had some big JBL floorstanding speakers with sub and I loved his system. He had the mains and a sub a d I think it sounded beautiful.
post #18 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Depending on the discount this could put you in Vienna Acoustics territory - def. worth a listen.

Ron
post #19 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Depends what I pick would be the discount I'd get. Some sets I only get 15% off. Others. I can get as much as 40%
post #20 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
If you have credit at BB, def. use it at Magnolia if you want speakers. They have much better stuff than standard BB.

The Definitive Technolgies, have a sub built into the towers, so at least will give you better bass without a full blown sub for now. The 7006's are a nice speaker, though at MSRP, they are more than your budget. Now, if you are getting a discount (like the BB emp. discount?), then they become a very attractive price...

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #21 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

If you have credit at BB, def. use it at Magnolia if you want speakers. They have much better stuff than standard BB.

The Definitive Technolgies, have a sub built into the towers, so at least will give you better bass without a full blown sub for now. The 7006's are a nice speaker, though at MSRP, they are more than your budget. Now, if you are getting a discount (like the BB emp. discount?), then they become a very attractive price...

Hmm. Well I will have to look into those speakers as well. I like the idea of speakers with a built in sub. Maybe I can up my limit to $2000. Spend 1000 on a tv and $2000 on a sound system. Think that's a better idea?
post #22 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Hmm. Well I will have to look into those speakers as well. I like the idea of speakers with a built in sub. Maybe I can up my limit to $2000. Spend 1000 on a tv and $2000 on a sound system. Think that's a better idea?

I thought your first post stated you had a TV already

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #23 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Maybe he had one picked out or budgeted.

If you have $3000 to spend at Best Buy for a total Home Theater setup I would go with this:

Screen: Panasonic 50" G20 Plasma (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...getype=listing) - $1350

Receiver: Denon AVR-1910 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+...&skuId=9256431) - $550

BD Player: Sony BDPN 460 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...&skuId=9446183) - $140

Speakers: L/R Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000's (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Definiti...&skuId=7656404) - $440 (pair)

Center: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 Center (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Definiti...&skuId=7656413) - $220

Subwoofer: MartinLogan Dynamo 10" 500 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLo...&skuId=9392301) - $440

Total before tax: $3140

You'll have your front three (though I would prefer the ProCinema 2000) and a kick ass sub. Upgrade to some floor standers later on and move the Pro 1000's to surround duty...or buy the Pro 800's for surround duty later on. Your choice. The Panasonic TV isn't thee absolute best on the market in the 50" range but it definately will get the job done and you could always use a PS3 for BDP duty over the player there (although the BDPN 460 is on sale).

Just my $0.02.

post #24 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

I thought your first post stated you had a TV already

I do. I'd just like to see what someone would do if the had the chance to do it. So I could consider it. Open my eyes up a bit before I make a wrong purchase.

Quote:

Maybe he had one picked out or budgeted.

If you have $3000 to spend at Best Buy for a total Home Theater setup I would go with this:

Screen: Panasonic 50" G20 Plasma (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...getype=listing) - $1350

Receiver: Denon AVR-1910 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+...&skuId=9256431) - $550

BD Player: Sony BDPN 460 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+B...&skuId=9446183) - $140

Speakers: L/R Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000's (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Definiti...&skuId=7656404) - $440 (pair)

Center: Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 Center (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Definiti...&skuId=7656413) - $220

Subwoofer: MartinLogan Dynamo 10" 500 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLo...&skuId=9392301) - $440

Total before tax: $3140

You'll have your front three (though I would prefer the ProCinema 2000) and a kick ass sub. Upgrade to some floor standers later on and move the Pro 1000's to surround duty...or buy the Pro 800's for surround duty later on. Your choice. The Panasonic TV isn't thee absolute best on the market in the 50" range but it definately will get the job done and you could always use a PS3 for BDP duty over the player there (although the BDPN 460 is on sale).

Just my $0.02.

I'm not to sure about plasma. They kinda scare me with Bun in and head issues. I game and use my comp as a monitor. I have a blu-ray player. Thanks for showing me all thi though. I'm going to look into the reciever at least. I'm trying to stay away from small speakers simply because I want BIG clean sound. Or do small speakes do that? Heres a thought. If I were to get small speakers. How would this sound system do? It seems it would save me a ton of money. Looks like it would do good. But I could be wrong. idk. What do you all think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+7...&skuId=9208733

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+5...&skuId=9209215

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+3...&skuId=9464714
post #25 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Old plasma screens were horrible with burn in but the newer ones it's almost a thing of the past. As long as you have a screen saver on your PC so it's doing something on screen when it's idle (or just turn the TV off). Gaming is no problem because there is always something moving on the screen. In any case you shouldn't have to worry about screen burn in on a Panny plasma. Also, those Def Tech speakers will definately give you big sound. You can get some great sound out of smaller speakers especially now a days because of technology of the drivers themselves. I can't remember off hand how big your room is but you want to be careful of not having something too big as far as floor standers. For instance I was looking into the BIC Acoustech setup with the horn loaded tweeters in the towers and after talking to several audio guys we determined that my 13x14 room was too small for those speakers because they would project a soundstage forward. Granted I could turn them down but wouldn't see the full benefit of having those types of towers (I.E. either they'd be too loud, or it'd be so low the mid-range/midbass would drown out the tweet). Those Def Techs do drop down to the 50-60 hz. range and handle a decent amount of power. Go listen to them, they are at Best Buy.

post #26 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Also, two of your links didn't work and the 3rd lead me to a bookshelf system. I wouldn't consider the bookshelf system unless you really wanted to go super cheap.

post #27 of 68 Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm. That's interesting. My room is about the size you just said. I wanted bigger because when I have parties. I move my entire system out to my living room. Which is about 25x30. I guess right now I'm mainly just looking for great sound for my room.

Also. The links were all to bookshelf systems. Idk anything about em. I just picked the best ones they have to see what others thought here.
post #28 of 68 Old 04-24-2010, 04:24 AM

Hehe, if you want party speakers hop on craigslist or ebay and look for a set of MTX or Cerwin Vega's. You should be able to pick up a pair of horn loaded floor standers for cheap on top of what was already listed.

post #29 of 68 Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hehe, if you want party speakers hop on craigslist or ebay and look for a set of MTX or Cerwin Vega's. You should be able to pick up a pair of horn loaded floor standers for cheap on top of what was already listed.

There was a decent set of mtx I saw that I was thinking about getting. They said they were pa though. I thoght that ment voice only? It pa and somehing else. I was set of getting em. That and there are some pretty cheap Sony floorstanding speakers for like 150. Wondered how those were. All are at best buys website and are like the 1st set of speakers you see on there floorstanding section.
post #30 of 68 Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure if BB carries the Infinity Primus P362 but they are worth a listen.

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page