Unplugged My Speakers While They Were On - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 30W Hewlet Packard 2.1 Speaker System.

I was replacing them in the house, so I had to unplug them from where they were plugged. I didn't notice that they were on when I unplugged them.

Is this generally unhealthy for the speaker, and what are the possibilities of unlugging speaker systems this way?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

no problem.

This is not an issue with the speakers per say, but it is a general issue with all of electronics and household electrical setup.

If the electronics in the speakers were not setup for surge protection correctly, had a bag capacitor or whatever, it could destroy the circuit board or even start a fire.

If your home wiring was not grounded properly, pulling the plug while while power is still running could create a spark and a fire.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

This is not an issue with the speakers per say, but it is a general issue with all of electronics and household electrical setup.

If the electronics in the speakers were not setup for surge protection correctly, had a bag capacitor or whatever, it could destroy the circuit board or even start a fire.

If your home wiring was not grounded properly, pulling the plug while while power is still running could create a spark and a fire.

What do you mean by "the electronics in the speakers"? Do you mean how the speakers were designed on the inside?

Also I have a broad question if you don't mind...since I'm afraid to ask my mom, who will then think I'm playing with electricity lol, but there are generally speaking, two types of electrical systems right? Grounded and...over ground? Like on pole wires?

Also, let's say my home wiring was bad and not grounded properly...well then, would there be a difference between unplugging the speakers while they are on, and pressing the speaker's off button?
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I don't understand? I do that all the time and have for years, I plug 'em in hot too (speakers that is). I do a lot of swapping out and adjusting, and acoustic memory can really suck (mine can anyway). This is how I do it, and NEVER had a problem with anything. Of course, I don't do this with the volume cranking, but it won't hurt nothing.

I know once I did shut down my amp though. I forgot to take off the jumpers when bi-wiring (trying it out) on one of my speakers, when I plugged it in the amp went into protection mode (I was trying to see if I could hear a differenc with bi-wiring.... I guess you could say I could) but no electrical fire, hence why the amp shut off (it went into protect mode). Oh, amp is an H/K PA2000, not exactly an uber expensive or newer amp.

I wouldn't worry about it, you won't do any harm at all.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #6 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

I don't understand? I do that all the time and have for years, I plug 'em in hot too (speakers that is). I do a lot of swapping out and adjusting, and acoustic memory can really suck (mine can anyway). This is how I do it, and NEVER had a problem with anything. Of course, I don't do this with the volume cranking, but it won't hurt nothing.

I know once I did shut down my amp though. I forgot to take off the jumpers when bi-wiring (trying it out) on one of my speakers, when I plugged it in the amp went into protection mode (I was trying to see if I could hear a differenc with bi-wiring.... I guess you could say I could) but no electrical fire, hence why the amp shut off (it went into protect mode). Oh, amp is an H/K PA2000, not exactly an uber expensive or newer amp.

I was thinking of powered speakers, as in unplugging powered/PC speakers while still powered on and in use. I was not thinking about pulling say a banana plug connection from a large floor standing speaker. So unless you were talking about unplugging a high power electrical device while in use, you can ignore what I said. I had just bought myself a set of small powered speakers for use at work so my mind was on them.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was thinking of powered speakers, as in unplugging powered/PC speakers while still powered on and in use. I was not thinking about pulling say a banana plug connection from a large floor standing speaker. So unless you were talking about unplugging a high power electrical device while in use, you can ignore what I said. I had just bought myself a set of small powered speakers for use at work so my mind was on them.

Mine is 30 Watt, so...also, it wasn't playing any music at the time. Its source (computer) was off.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora View Post

Mine is 30 Watt, so...also, it wasn't playing any music at the time. Its source (computer) was off.

Now that I understand better and am in the right frame of mind. You should be fine. Just note that in general, it is not good for any electronic component to be unplugged during normal operation, it can cause issues. But usually if they are made well they have features to prevent any harm.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You are more likely to blow a speaker when connecting to a live power supply then one that is off.

Ron
post #10 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

You are more likely to blow a speaker when connecting to a live power supply then one that is off.

Ron

Sorry I don't know what is meant to be off in your post.

Do you mean when the speaker is off or when the power supply is.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 47
if you pour gasoline on the power supply, you may, just may start something on fire. But most likely, nothing would happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteora View Post

Sorry I don't know what is meant to be off in your post.

Do you mean when the speaker is off or when the power supply is.

I was responding to Kpt_Krunch who from the looks of it was connecting passive speakers to a live power supply. I've blown tweeters that way.

I wouldnt worry with your powered setup - I do that all the time with my Soundsticks

Ron
post #13 of 15 Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM

just make sure that if you have multiple leads to the speaker you dont short them while the juice is on.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Is it generally ok to turn off speakers last (not first) if there is no sound coming from them? I imagine if there is sound (loud sound especially) then turning speakers off first is better, as everyone here suggested, but what if there's no sound coming out of them?

It's kind of an old thread I made, but this question deals with the same subject.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Won't hurt nothing? LOL
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page