FAKE Monster Beats Studio HD: Here is how to tell a real from a fake - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This happens with many products manufactured overseas. Anything from clothing to Blu-ray movies. Often the factories themselves will just produce more than necessary and sell them in the black market. Technically, they're counterfeit as they don't have the appropriate paperwork, but the end result is identical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Pro tip: For whatever reason you decide to buy Dre Beats headphones, never buy it used, especially on ebay. These headphones are so easy to rip off.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 PM

80 bucks is the Hong Kong price. The closer you are to the manufacturing plant the cheaper it gets. I convinced my colleague to buy a pair for 50 bucks and he doesn't regret it one bit. I compared them with my legit set and no difference. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting a backup set. Lol. Fwiw they were also selling the beats ear buds for 8 bucks but those were definitely inferior. When I listened to them they were lacking the low end frequencies. The stock iPod buds were much better.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 AM

The reason why I bought these headphones was because of the noise canceling feature and the decent sound you get while the noise canceling is active.

I'm sure there are quite a few headphones out there that can best these in performance but at least compare apples to apples guys.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

about fake stuff:
1 knockout handbags: the real good knockout bags, you cant tell the difference!!! honestly
you think they made in European countries, but no! they are still made in China! Fake one come from the same factory and the same line which make the original ones. factory workers use the extra material to make the fake ones and sell them for less. only thing you can say it is fake is they dont have the real serial number!!! that is it! 6000 dollars bag sell for 600 bucks. resell on ebay for 3000!

about watch:
huge difference! china made Rolex fake watch sucks, everyone can tell
actually, you know it is fake before you buy it, why still buy, coz you wanna you look fancy!

about Monster headsets:
there are 2 kind of fake monster headsets you can find in the chinese market, one is real fake, sounds a lot of difference. one kind is really good just like what people say, cant really tell the difference.
do you know why? because it is real!!!!!!!!!!!!! people bought those used or broken monster headset as trash, repair it and make it like new. the sound quality is alittle different coz it is used! market price for that kind is 70bucks in China, about the box, acutally, who really care about the box, only sound matters right?
if you pay 150 to buy a repaired headset, but sounds almost the same like the new one, what you should complain about? 350 for the new, 150 for the used, you pay for what you get!
if you wanna buy cheap stuff from ebay, always looking for the lowest price, highly likely you will buy OEM or Fake stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

paypal fee and ebay fee and shipping fee cost almost 20% of the sales price, all the sellers on ebay need make some profit right? if the price too good to be true, then it is too good to be true! so dont be suprised when you pay 150 for 350 bucks headsets and expect it is brand new original!

just be realistic!!!!!!!!!

powerseller from Ebay
Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The "fake" Beats I bought were absolutely new and not used or repaired. They even had that new smell to them.

I've had them for over 2 months now, and they are holding up just fine. I've traveled with them, and they are absolutely awesome on the airplane. Best $80 I've ever spent....
Old 05-11-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
Until very recenly, I used to work for Monster.

That is absolutely correct. In the warehouse when we were due to receive a large shipment of Beats, oftentimes there would be a few boxes missing from the shipment. So according to the paperwork, 1000 pairs of headphones would ship, but in reality, only 990 pairs shipped, with 10 pairs going to the black market. It doesn't get caught until it hit the U.S. warehouse after 2-4 weeks of shipping (unless it was an air shipment in which case, it gets caught in 1-2 weeks depending on how long they were held at customs).

Monster management was trying to figure out at what point the headphones were coming up missing and I figured it was at the origin point because of the thriving black market for these sorts of things in China.
Those that fell off the back of the truck, so to speak, based on your description, would not be knock offs ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 AM

alot of these fakes aren't really fakes.as it was said before they come from the same factory.i used to work in a factory where they made the craftsman tools. on one assembly line they would make the craftsman wrenches you can buy for $20 while on the assembly line next to it they were producing snap on wrenches you buy for $120 and they were made the exact same way just labeled differently and im guessing that exactly whats happening in china one assembly line goes to monster products while they other goes to the sellers in china selling you the so called "FAKES" even though they were made the exact same way.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

yeah, I haven't heard much good stuff about the Dre stuff. Typical Monster "marketing over substance!"

if you want stylish in-ears with awesome bass performance check out these, I am in love with mine: http://munitio.com/

Have you listened to the Klipsch Image S4?? For $80.00 or so they have Great Bass and clear highs. I was really suprised how good my Ipod Classic sounds now. There are fakes on Ebay for the Klipsch inner ear pods too. They are having issues with the plug wires coming lose, Klipsch logo rubbing off , etc. Find a real dealer when buying any music equipment.Sometimes trying to save a buck costs much more. Becarefull on Ebay, even with Paypal to help you it's a crap shoot.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
Old 06-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Does anyone have info on fake Beats Pro headphones?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:51 AM

one of my friends is a distributor for Apple products here in Manila.. last time I went to his store, there's this guy asking him if he wants to sell monster beats products.. we were both surprised when he gave his price.. for the beats tour, he is giving it at $15.. for the studio $70 and for the solo $47.. then there's more.. if my friend would purchase 10 boxes on either of the models, he's getting 1 box of that model for free..

We both have our own real beats.. he's got the studio, i got the tour.. we were able to check his stuff and man, you can't hardly tell the difference.. i asked him if those were fakes and he said it's not.. rather it's OEM which according to him means it's from the original equipment manufacturer who manufactures the products or components that are purchased by Monster and retailed under Monster's brand name.. All his stuff came from China.. No wonder.. he even has Kobe and Lebron limited edition beats.. WTF..

Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Here is my description of my beats by dr dre studio black

1.The cleaning cloth is small but the needle is like the large one.
2.The picture of the headphone in the front and the back is bright
3.Dre's face is quite bright.
4.Sorry but no AAA Duracell batteries.
5.There are two black....sorry but I don't know how to say it but its on the airline adapter and its like the real one.
6.The Button which you use to mute sound make a click when you hit it.
7.I bought them from dubai.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:07 AM

does anybody know how long the serial number is inside the cover ?
Its just that on the official website you can check and it suggests 10 digitd where as they are 6 in my set !!

Si
Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Hi. I have got a pair at $60 on ali express.is there any possibility these are real?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM

I was in China the first time I saw this thread. That was 5 months ago.........and all of the things that were mentioned as being "tips" as to what would prove a fake had been fixed on all of the Beats I saw in the markets in Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.......so these days, I would say it would be almost impossible to tell real from fake if you're buying secondhand. But then.......if they still sound great and you pay $50 for them, will you care?

They were going for less than $35 in China . . . and that was the price for the tourists -- more in Hong Kong.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

Have you listened to the Klipsch Image S4?? For $80.00 or so they have Great Bass and clear highs. I was really suprised how good my Ipod Classic sounds now. There are fakes on Ebay for the Klipsch inner ear pods too. They are having issues with the plug wires coming lose, Klipsch logo rubbing off , etc. Find a real dealer when buying any music equipment.Sometimes trying to save a buck costs much more. Becarefull on Ebay, even with Paypal to help you it's a crap shoot.

I got a pair of Image S4's from amazon..took 3+ weeks to be delivered, straight from taiwan, only to find out they were fakes. How did I know? Because they sounded HORRIBLE, even after 30+ hrs of break in, muffled highs, no bass and all midrange - this was AFTER 40+ hrs of break in. My iphone earbuds sound better. And Klipsch sends 3 pairs of ear 'plugs' while the fake company sends 4. Also, the tin that comes with the real Klipsch set isn't supposed to be magnetic, but mine is.

I ended up getting a pair of sony MDR EX310 earbuds (while waiting for the Klipsch's from amazon to be delivered) and couldnt be happier. 10x better sounding and build quality than what ever I got duped with from taiwan, and I'm no sony fan by any stretch.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post

I got a pair of Image S4's from amazon..took 3+ weeks to be delivered, straight from taiwan, only to find out they were fakes. How did I know? Because they sounded HORRIBLE, even after 30+ hrs of break in, muffled highs, no bass and all midrange - this was AFTER 40+ hrs of break in. My iphone earbuds sound better. And Klipsch sends 3 pairs of ear 'plugs' while the fake company sends 4. Also, the tin that comes with the real Klipsch set isn't supposed to be magnetic, but mine is.

I ended up getting a pair of sony MDR EX310 earbuds (while waiting for the Klipsch's from amazon to be delivered) and couldnt be happier. 10x better sounding and build quality than what ever I got duped with from taiwan, and I'm no sony fan by any stretch.

Sad you got scammed...... my Klipsch are REAL and still sound Great. I purchased from a Klipsch Dealer.(They had all the Klipsch home speakers for sale too) Did you cantact Amazon to get a refund???I use mine on a 5th Gen Ipod Classic 80 Gb. I set the audio to it's max settings.(61 now my hearing stops at 15Kz.) WOW great bass and treble.... having them in my ear helps with treble.
I can hear higher tones then my heavy over ear head phones that were 300 dollars.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 AM

Hey,I recently bought a beats by dr dre Michael Jackson (studio).Guess what I bought it for 47.4526USD (after cutting off price with the dealer)in china.However it turns up to be a real stuff I have registered my beats.I also found that some of the accesories were fake but the box and the earphone are100% real cause I have registred it and compared to the originals on this forum.Could someone tell me why?????
Old 12-27-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Do any other regular AVS members find it hilarious how many single post users are in this thread?

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Old 12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Do any other regular AVS members find it hilarious how many single post users are in this thread?

Yes I do!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed this too.......... spam threads???

Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post

I just noticed this too.......... spam threads???

I think it's just a hot topic since it's the gift giving and receiving season
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Old 08-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Grey MONSTER Logo? Fake or Real?

Can you help me? I saw someone on Kijiji selling a $150 Beats Studio headphones. When I asked him to verify if it was real he said:

" They have all the manuals (the turn it up manual , warranty manual etc) , 2( aaa Duracell batteries still slealed), serial number under the battery lid , air plane adapter and all the wires , the head phone case has a wrapping on it ( fake ones don't) and the headphones are also wrapped inside the carrying case( fake ones arnt and dot come with Duracell batteries or batteries at all). "

It sounds legit and he he also sent me some photos which looked legit. The only thing was, the MONSTER logo was grey, unlike the white MONSTER logos of the real Beats. Do you think the grey MONSTER logo means that his Beats may be fake? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Ask him to show a receipt. The fakes ones are really hard to tell nowadays. Whenever i go to China and cruise through the markets/malls, they always have the manuals, serial number under the lid, wires, adapters and even the protective wrapping. The only difference was they didn't come with any batteries, which are really easy to provide. Do the real ones even come with Duracells? Or some other brand alkaline battery?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Anyone selling Beats Studios for $150 is probably selling fakes (or used ones in poor shape).

Save your money and get the Ultrasone HFI-580. Better headphones than the Beat Studios with plenty of bass. The Ultrasone DJ1 is the same phone as the HFI-580, just different styling. Avoid the Beats hype!

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 08-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Liked: 18
I am of the school of thought that if I can’t tell the difference no one else can and it does not matter. The question really becomes how the beats counterfeits measure up against a similar priced quality headphone from the favorites around here.

In addition to that I would even hesitate to claim they were counterfeit. It has been my experience dealing with Asian business that factories often just keep the lines running well past the orders they receive and then sell extra product off as counterfeit. So while in the strictest sense that is counterfeit, performance wise you are often getting exactly the same product or very close to it.

Then you have the whole issue where a company such as monster might even make an order from 1 or more factories and their might be subtle differences. We like to think of this as the model lottery which has become infamous in various products such as displays.
If the counterfeit really is produced in a separate factory as a copy and is that good then this is just one more example of how Asian production has surpassed the ability of North American / European and they can now make things better than us and will soon being bringing their own brands to the front stage.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 48
if sound quality is the same then I wouldn't care if I did pay a lot less than what they sell for, who's going to know the difference
Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 48
if sound quality is the same then I wouldn't care if I did pay a lot less than what they sell for, who's going to know the difference
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Sound quality stinks either way. I think all Monster products are overpriced junk.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655