FAKE Monster Beats Studio HD: Here is how to tell a real from a fake - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently, I purchased a set of Monster Beats Studio HD from eBay, from a reputable seller with a good track record. It was my carelessness that led to this unfortunate purchase. Being enticed with a very much reduced price of SGD400, compared to its original retail price of SGD700, I made the purchase.

However, I found out that it was a fake after a while, and after reaching an amicable agreement with my seller, who I have given the benefit of the doubt and believe that he was not aware that his supplier had been supplying him with imitation goods. (Possibly gullible on my part, but this is besides the point since I have received my full refund and I do not wish to pursue the matter).

I then went on to purchase a set from HMV. With both the real and fake Monster Beats Studio HD, I decided to do some side by side comparisons.

The product on the left is always the ORIGINAL, while the product on the right is always the IMITATION.

Starting with the front cover, it is clear that the imitation good does not bear the "tm" (trademark) sign beneath the word "studio" on the bottom left hand corner of the box (may be a little small, but you can see that a little dot of text is missing from the picture on the right).

At the back of the box, you can see that the pictures of the headphones are slightly different. They are positioned slightly differently. Then there's also the lack of the "tm" sign beneath the "studio" word at the bottom left corner. "tm" is also missing on the vertical text on the left of the box beneath the word "dre", and is also missing from the last line of the last paragraph of text.

On the side of the box, it is obvious that the picture on the original is smaller than that of the imitation product. The original also mentions that batteries and the airline adapter are included, while the imitation doesn't mention that at all.

Dr Dre's headshot. Very clearly different. The printing on the fake is generally much darker, and you can't see his neck area very well. His neck is clearer on the original. Also do note the use of a " | " instead of a " / " between "beatsbydre.com" and "monstercable.com" on the original and imitation respectively. Also, there's a whacked up model number on the bottom right hand corner of the fake one, and there isn't any on the real one.

Removing the jacket to reveal the red box, we can see that the black pull-out tab on the real deal is longer than that of the imitation.

Clear differences here. A blind man could tell the difference.

On the back of the quick-start guide, there are subtle differences in font size and the usage of " | " and " / " again. Once again, real deal on left, imitation on right.

Super big difference between the provided cleaning cloths. Original cloth is huge. Fake one is tiny.

These 2 documents are provided with the real deal and not with the imitation.

The battery cover of the real deal, of course, has the serial number and Dr Dre's signature. The fake doesn't have any (Picture of fake battery cover not included, just imagine an empty space where the signature and serial should be).

COMPARISONS OF THE HEADPHONES TO BE ADDED SOON.

To be honest, the headphones are almost identical. The differences lie in the material of the ear cup and the aforementioned battery covers. The battery indicator light on the real deal also seems to be a tad brighter. To be extremely honest, even the sound quality is quite close. No kidding. The quality of the imitation good is actually, though I hate to mention this, very good. However, the cables do tend to give way quickly and the threading around the carabina of the hard case gives way easily.

The point of this posting is to simply create awareness on how excellent fake goods have grown to become. Please be astute when making purchases. When a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM

I just wanted to add something to this posting if that's okay. One other thing to look for when buying Beats, is the plastic it comes wrapped in. Since so many people are selling "Brand new Beats still in wrap," I thought I would share my experience with a fake pair. I bought a pair on craigslist that turned out to be fake. Luckily the threat of prosecution convinced him to refund me my money. I bought a real pair and compared the two. This is what I found. Hope it helps.
The fake ones come wrapped in a really thin clear plastic wrap. The kind you can tear from top to bottom in one full swoop. The real ones come in a slightly cloudy and much thicker plastic wrap. Tell tale sign before you even open the package up. And the fake beats I got actually have a serial number on the inside of the battery cover. It looks like it was half-assed glued on. The real beats have the serial number flush with the cover, so it looks like it's actually embedded on the cover.
And finally, the fake, unopened beats didn't come with batteries.
Just three observations I had. I actually found think link in a craigslister's ad for a pair of Beats. The pics he sent me had the cheap plastic on them, so it made me want to warn people.
post #3 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Jeez that seems like a lot of trouble to counterfeit some headphones... But crap, at $350 a pop I guess there's money to be made.

Thanks for sharing with us!
post #4 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM

Go to the monster website, they have a huge list of companies that are selling counterfit products. This is the risk you take when you purchase off an unauthorized dealer I guess.

However I was impressed with the quality of the counterfits, if they can make such good headphones they should really just get into making their own quality line. Mind you this way they get free marketing I guess.

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #5 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Are these any better than the Sennheisers, AKGs, Sonys and others that have been in studios for years? Anyone buying these is buying a brand, not an industry standard reference headset. Educating the public to this fraud is interesting and useful. Educating the public to potentially avoid wasting $350 is a real service to the community.
post #6 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
krs

There's a disadvantage to threads like this one even though heightenng anyone's awaeness of the world around them is almost always beneficial.

In one of the large wrstwatch forums it gradually became clear, although impossible to prove, that the counterfeiters take cues from such threads, using the detailed descriptions of their products as compared to authentic products to improve their counterfeit products.

It was nearly like clockwork to see the counterfeit very popular Tissot model PRC-200 sold by several offshore ebay sellers improve. Step by step the details of both watches and packaging/documentation which indicated a fraudulent watch could not be found on the images OR ON THE ACTUAL IN-THE-HAND watch after someone came wondering if he or she had been duped (as though a $70. price for a $495. MSRP watch wasn't evidence enough). Concerned buyers come to that forum with such queries regularly and I'd guess that there are at least two such threads active at any given time.

As of the last I paid attention to those threads two people had passed their known to be fake Tissot watches off as originals at their local authorized retail seller's outlet, just as experiments to see whether it could be done. The retailers involved were not, perhaps, as net savvy as they might have been - one of them apparently expressed complete surprise that such things were going on at all and had to be convinced that he was evaluating a counterfeit watch.

Are 'offshore' counterfeiters of trendy headphones as on the ball as their watchmaking neighbors? Probably.
post #7 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 447
If the knockoffs are identical to the originals to the extent that you can not tell the differences in hand or in performance, yet there is still that big of a price difference, I think it is the originals which are really ripping you off.
post #8 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
knockoffs never are as good as the originals. Applies to everything, watches, handbags, headphones, ipods.

I've seen some pretty good fakes, but if you know what an original looks or performs like, there is no mistaking which one is fake.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #9 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
I got some real Dr. Dre earbuds off CL. I made sure I knew what I was looking at before I bought them and I'm sure they're the real deal. The sound doesn't impress me at all. I thought the bass was weak and anemic.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #10 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
krs

The watch dealer who needed convincing was convinced by being encouraged to remove the back from the fake.
post #11 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post
I got some real Dr. Dre earbuds off CL. I made sure I knew what I was looking at before I bought them and I'm sure they're the real deal. The sound doesn't impress me at all. I thought the bass was weak and anemic.
yeah, I haven't heard much good stuff about the Dre stuff. Typical Monster "marketing over substance!"

if you want stylish in-ears with awesome bass performance check out these, I am in love with mine: http://munitio.com/

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #12 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelf View Post

Are these any better than the Sennheisers, AKGs, Sonys and others that have been in studios for years? Anyone buying these is buying a brand, not an industry standard reference headset. Educating the public to this fraud is interesting and useful. Educating the public to potentially avoid wasting $350 is a real service to the community.

Not really. These are not studio headphones, they are about style and branding. I bought a set on a whim just to try them out (was looking for something I could use at the office), and to my surprise, their bass was tight, lots of punch but still clean sounding (for a headphone endorsed by rap producer) and their highs are well balanced. Not a bad headphone at all, much better than the stock earbuds 99% of the world is using

For $350 I don't think they are worth it since you can buy a few superior headphones that are actually studio quality and better in sound quality for less money ($150 for a Audio Technica ATHM50 for example).

post #13 of 76 Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

For $350 I don't think they are worth it since you can buy a few superior headphones that are actually studio quality and better in sound quality for less money ($150 for a Audio Technica ATHM50 for example).

I wonder how those compare to the Sennheiser 595's that are currently 134.50 at Amazon?

YID DIY
post #14 of 76 Old 01-21-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

I wonder how those compare to the Sennheiser 595's that are currently 134.50 at Amazon?

The 595 is VERY different sounding. They have slightly brighter highs than the Monster but overall slightly more detailed sounding. Much flatter sounding overall but lacking some of the bass punch compared to the Monster. I think the Monster works better for everyday pop/dance music because they have more wow factor in their sound. The 595 can be a bit lifeless depending on the music.

post #15 of 76 Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM

I just received white studios i ordered from ebay. I didn't do my research until after I hit the buy button. I thought I was getting a good deal for $200 but after I read all of the fake reviews i felt stupid. anyways I'm not posting to bitch, but posting to say THERE HAVE BEEN SOME CHANGES TO THE FAKES: There are now TM symbols after "beats" and "dre" on the front cover.The right side with the head phone all spaced out into parts looks like the real one meaning the picture is small and near the bottom of that side it now lists "2 AAA Batteries, Airline Adapter, and One Year Limited Warranty" identical to the real ones. Something that I found interesting is that on the back where the barcode is says "Made in China" which hasn't been mentioned any where online. Lastly, Dre's head is still very dark, but on the bottom of his side of the box, it looks like the real one because there is a vertical line separating beatsbydre.com and monstercable.com.

Now for the inside:
No battery = fake
but what thew me off is that these CAME WITH A WARRANTY GUIDE AND MANUAL and documents exactly like the reals. The battery cover HAD DREs SIGNATURE AND A SERIAL NUMBER, but is obviously cheaply glued on. The rest of the headphone's quality is below par because there are problems in stitching and padding/coming apart. Hopefully the guy will come through with his stupid ass 3 day return policy and give me my effing money back.
Stay away from ebay.
post #16 of 76 Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM

I just want to know if the original beats has the 'b' letter engrave on it or it's flat? Thanks!
post #17 of 76 Old 03-10-2011, 07:13 PM

On the earphones i meant.
post #18 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

knockoffs never are as good as the originals. Applies to everything, watches, handbags, headphones, ipods.

I've seen some pretty good fakes, but if you know what an original looks or performs like, there is no mistaking which one is fake.

Handbags? Yeah a fake LV purse is actually quite difficult to tell from a real one. Trust me i have seen more of them in the first few years of my life (asian) than most. plus they all hold items just as well as the next.
post #19 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Well, frankly, no one should be buying these in the first place

MUCH better options out there for $350 if you really care about sound quality.
post #20 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
No disrespect to those who like the beats, I don't care for them. The most recent episode of american idol featured a prominent music producer who had beats around his neck in every shot. Wonder how much he got paid for that? I know product placement is everywhere, it just made me chuckle.

post #21 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
That prominent producer owns the Beats company with Dr. Dre.
post #22 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 09:11 AM

BamBam,

You wouldn't also be on the Playstation Network with the tag BamBam on Black Ops as well would you?

Going Deaf.... And Lovin' It
post #23 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Except when the knockoff is exactly the same as the original...

Some knockoffs are done from the same factory, hell, same production line as the originals...
post #24 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

Except when the knockoff is exactly the same as the original...

Some knockoffs are done from the same factory, hell, same production line as the originals...

wouldn't that mean it's not a knockoff, it's an original?

post #25 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

That prominent producer owns the Beats company with Dr. Dre.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks

post #26 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
wouldn't that mean it's not a knockoff, it's an original?
Yes and no. It's a consequence of a company outsourcing manufacturing to a 3rd party factory in China. A company approaches a factory in China and asks if they can manufacture their product. They then supply the complete plans of the product to the 3rd party factory. Obviously a company will not have full control over what else happens with those plans.

These days more companies are actually setting up shop in China and are running the production factory themselves and have more control of the product.
post #27 of 76 Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweisnicht View Post
Well, frankly, no one should be buying these in the first place

MUCH better options out there for $350 if you really care about sound quality.
Just because the headphones are expensive doesent mean that they should be a reference headphone. $300.00 isnt that expesive, you cant even get a high end A/V receiver for that price.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #28 of 76 Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 PM

FYI. I own a legit set of these headphones and I'm currently in Beijing perusing the open markets and am seeing these fakes everywhere. I did an inspection of these "fakes" and the packaging is legit. It looked just like the original one the op posted. No difference. When i sampled the headphones the quality of sound was indistinguishable from the legit one. The craftsmanship and materials are identical. The battery cover even had a serial number. No joke! Upon some research I found that Monster has a plant or vendor in Beijing so IMO these so called fakes are amazingly good. When I was in hong kong last week I saw these things everywhere in the ladies market as well.
post #29 of 76 Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 AM

I intentionally bought a set of fakes, paid $80. I compared them to a few friends who had bought real ones from Best Buy for $300. They are identical in every which way. Packaging, quality of materials, and sound quality was absolutely identical.

I spoke with the guy in China I bought them from and he claimed they are made in the exact same factory where the real ones are made. Some just get taken (probably stolen) out of the factory and sold on the grey market and some go to Best Buy. Like someone earlier posted, this is what can happen when mass production is outsourced to a Chinese manufacturing company.

I feel like I got a bargain for a decent set of headphones for $80.
post #30 of 76 Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan02Stang View Post

I intentionally bought a set of fakes, paid $80. I compared them to a few friends who had bought real ones from Best Buy for $300. They are identical in every which way. Packaging, quality of materials, and sound quality was absolutely identical.

I spoke with the guy in China I bought them from and he claimed they are made in the exact same factory where the real ones are made. Some just get taken (probably stolen) out of the factory and sold on the grey market and some go to Best Buy. Like someone earlier posted, this is what can happen when mass production is outsourced to a Chinese manufacturing company.

I feel like I got a bargain for a decent set of headphones for $80.

Until very recenly, I used to work for Monster.

That is absolutely correct. In the warehouse when we were due to receive a large shipment of Beats, oftentimes there would be a few boxes missing from the shipment. So according to the paperwork, 1000 pairs of headphones would ship, but in reality, only 990 pairs shipped, with 10 pairs going to the black market. It doesn't get caught until it hit the U.S. warehouse after 2-4 weeks of shipping (unless it was an air shipment in which case, it gets caught in 1-2 weeks depending on how long they were held at customs).

Monster management was trying to figure out at what point the headphones were coming up missing and I figured it was at the origin point because of the thriving black market for these sorts of things in China.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page