Help with unusual feature of my new (old) Earthquake Saturn 3611 floor standing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a pair of unused Earthquake Saturns to use as my fronts, brought them home and realized that what I thought were speaker outs for adding additional tweeters or mids, were actually a sort of manually operated crossover. Three RCA type inputs, each for a different frequency, for highs and mids where you put, what a person at the company (I think he was in sales) called "shorted RCA plugs" to alter the tone of the highs and mids. If you dont have a plug in one of the three spots, no signal gets to the speaker. Ditto if you have more than one plug, the wrong kind, or a jumper from high to mid. Well all the research aside about what great speakers these were (are), I got them hooked up and they sound terrible. Very muddy and flat. I played around with the configuration and the settings on my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR705) and amps (Adcom GFA-535II, and AudioSource AMP One-A). It is better, but not good, much less what I expected. Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Any tips? Also these are my first new (unused) speakers, and I know that there is a break in period, but speakers shouldnt sound like the cones are made of velveeta until they break in, should they? HELP, PLEASE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 AM

You talked about the crossover jacks on the rear of the speakers, but never mentioned if you were using a shorted RCA plug, or if you had attempted to move the plug around to try to improve the sound.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry. Yea, I made some of these "shorted RCA plugs" myself by cutting up some old ones I had laying around. If you dont have a plug in one of the three, you get no signal, so yea I moved them around and found what I thought was the best spot. It still is not even close to what I would have expected.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am new to this forum (all forums actually), so I am wondering, is there an area where the is a tech savvy person available for Q & A specifically, or is this the best avenue to get help. I ask because I notice a lot of views, but only one reply. Thanks
post #5 of 5 Old 05-09-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well I left the request for help hang out there for a couple of days, and also the query about being in the right place to ask for help, and I am no closer to having either one of my questions answered. Kind of a discouraging debut post, I gotta tell ya. not sure where to turn now, so if anyone even looks at threads this far down, any advice on either topic would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page