Help me build a home theater system ($2K to $2.5K) with several challenges!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-08-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some advice. I have been reading through several of these sites threads. I've learned several things like needing to go and listen to the speakers. It is helpful to have some demo material that you know so you can understand how that sounds. Those are my plans but I'm hoping to get some advice on options and get a short list of speakers from which I can start the selection process. You seem to get the best advice when the most details are provided so here it goes.

My budget is approximately $2000-$2500 and I'm looking for a 5.1 system. I've got a receiver already: Onkyo TX-SR606 with no plans for an amp is I can avoid it.

Our room is 15 feet wide and 21 feet long. The ceiling is 8.5 feet tall. The
room has no back wall however and is open to a bar area with an eating area around the corner. Sort of like a very long L shape. On the short wall (15 foot) is a stone (so cannot move wires) and bookcase wall with a TV. There are wire drops on the tops of each of the two bookcases. Will this work and I get enough punch to carry the room and listening style? We are running into a problem with the placement of the center channel - I was told and have verified that there is a wire drop in the ceiling above the TV. Will that work if we go bookcase fronts and in-ceiling center? I want to make sure we get a good balance with the center. There is a good foot between the tops of the bookcases and the ceiling. I guess we could always turn those sideways? If need be.

There are two other wire drops basically in the middle of the room on each side wall at the height of electrical outlets. I guess they were thinking speakers on stands here but the depth is wrong, right? Anyway, there are also two additional wire drops (at same height) at the back of the room on either side wall. There is an additional wire drop just around the corner (into the eating area). I'm not sure but this looks to be for a Sub although it's got the same wiring as the other drops. The equipment is in a cabinet under the bookcases. Maybe the sub can go in there?

Listening will be 75% Bluray movies and 25% digital satellite music. Music rages the entire gambit of styles from classical to Pop to heavy rock.
Also I live in the Peoria, Illinois area so speaker lines that are carried locally are best. I have no problems ordering over the internet though as it sounds like the best deals are to be found there. I know this is a lot of information in other threads it seems like the more the better. I appreciate any advice you can through my way and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Need a picture of the room.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

Need a picture of the room.

Superfriends can do this after two more posts..

Ron
post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
As requested...I don't claim to be an artist nor an architect.

Basement Layout 1.pdf 45.2294921875k . file

Basement Layout 2.pdf 50.65234375k . file
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page