In Single HT setup - Different speakers for MOVIES & MUSIC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,

After a lot of research (not enough though.....), I have finalised below setup for a 15x20' room. Usage 50% movies, 50% music

AVR-Denon 2310
Oppo BDP-83
Panasonic PV10
HSU VTF-2 MK3

Klipsch RF-62 front
Klipsch RC-62 center
Klipsch RS-52 surround

As I am given to understand, Klipsch are best for movies and some other brands, say paradigm are better in music.

Please guide,

If I can keep Front as Klipsch RF-62 and Center RC-62 and have some other brand for surrounds (more musical).

1) In this way can I have best of both (movies and music)
2) If yes, what is a good choice for musical surrounds (Paradigm ??)
3) How does Klipsch and Paradigm go with DENON 2310 AVR
4) Any other comments on above set up?

Will look forward to your valuable inputs. I do not want to give up Klipsch (getting at a good price) and also I dont want to compromise on music quality.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaps View Post

Hi there,

After a lot of research (not enough though.....), I have finalised below setup for a 15x20' room. Usage 50% movies, 50% music

AVR-Denon 2310
Oppo BDP-83
Panasonic PV10
HSU VTF-2 MK3

Klipsch RF-62 front
Klipsch RC-62 center
Klipsch RS-52 surround

As I am given to understand, Klipsch are best for movies and some other brands, say paradigm are better in music.

Please guide,

If I can keep Front as Klipsch RF-62 and Center RC-62 and have some other brand for surrounds (more musical).

1) In this way can I have best of both (movies and music)
2) If yes, what is a good choice for musical surrounds (Paradigm ??)
3) How does Klipsch and Paradigm go with DENON 2310 AVR
4) Any other comments on above set up?

Will look forward to your valuable inputs. I do not want to give up Klipsch (getting at a good price) and also I dont want to compromise on music quality.

Thanks.

1) Not really because the surrounds don't actually have that much sound coming out of them, mostly just background music.
2) You could use paradigms, or any other speaker you want as surrounds. Matching surrounds to your system isn't as important as matching the front stage, which you've already done.
3) Klipsch are horn loaded and have high sensitivity so they would go fine with any decent amount of power. Most paradigm have an above average sensitivity so they would go fine with the 2310.
4)That's going to be a very in your face setup; have you listened to klipsch before? If you truly listen to 50/50 I would go with a more in between setup or have completely different speakers for music and movies; say a 2.1 setup for music only.

Maybe someone else can chime in on a good musical stereo setup.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I would agree that you may find various speaker systems that sound fine on movies but not optimal for music. But I also believe there is no inherent compromise: a system that does music well will also handle movies well. So I'd say concentrate on finding L/C/R speakers that give you the level of musical performance you seek. Then use their brethren for the surrounds if they have what you need. For example, for music you may prefer direct radiators for the surrounds, as they render the best timbre. If the maker of the fronts does not offer them, makes sense to look elsewhere.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Guys Thanks,

Roger, are you saying that for eg I use paradigm surrounds with Klipsch F/C or Paradigm front speakers as surrounds. Or I could not understand?

What can be other set up options other than Klipsch RF 62, along same lime (similar budget and similar capacity) which can go well for music as well as movies. Could you suggest some brands with specific series to complete Front, center and surrounds in $ 1500.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Guys Thanks,

Roger, are you saying that for eg I use paradigm surrounds with Klipsch F/C or Paradigm front speakers as surrounds. Or I could not understand?

What can be other set up options other than Klipsch RF 62, along same lime (similar budget and similar capacity) which can go well for music as well as movies. Could you suggest some brands with specific series to complete Front, center and surrounds in $ 1500.

I have the Klipsch Icon:

WF-35 Front L/R
WC-24 Center
WS-24 Rear L/R
XW-500d Sub

They sound awesome for music and movies. What type of music do you listen too? I don't think you'll go wrong with the Klipsch setup.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

That is totally up to you, Klipsch could be great for movies and music. Paradigm could be great for music and movies.

You need to find out.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #7 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

That is totally up to you, Klipsch could be great for movies and music. Paradigm could be great for music and movies.

You need to find out.

Well said sir.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guys Thanks,

Sorry. I'm saying that since music performance is important, use that as your criteria to selecting the L/C/R speakers, as music tends to be more critical for timbre and vocal treatment than movies. Once you find the right music speakers for fronts, the task of finding good surrounds is made a lot easier.

I can offer no suggestions, as it is so personal a matter. As Penngray said, you have to judge for yourself. It's all part of the fun in exploring what winds our clocks.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

It's all part of the fun in exploring what winds our clocks.

Absolutely, now if he posts what makes a great HT speaker then I will have some opinions and I would post some brands as a reference to that opinion

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #10 of 14 Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Another confusion,

I wanted to purchase HSU VTF-2, but realised that its too heave and no airline will allow me to take it to India from USA.

What other options do I have comparable to HSU VTF-2 that is avaialbe in USA in 220 Volt and slightly lower weight.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

You need to find out.

Wait a minute. What's going on here? There's nothing controversial in this post...

YID DIY
post #12 of 14 Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to purchase HSU VTF-2, but realised that its too heave and no airline will allow me to take it to India from USA.

What other options do I have comparable to HSU VTF-2 that is avaialbe in USA in 220 Volt and slightly lower weight.

The HSU VTF-2 shipping weight is 80 pounds. I'd guess that at least 20 pounds is the woofer driver. If you remove the woofer and box it up separately (in very good packing if it is also checked as baggage--it's a rough ride!), the main unit drops to 60 pounds. That would be under the 70-lb limit I've seen for some airlines.

Over 70-lb it is considered cargo. Maybe that's a good alternative, too.

Roger

post #13 of 14 Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

The HSU VTF-2 shipping weight is 80 pounds. I'd guess that at least 20 pounds is the woofer driver. If you remove the woofer and box it up separately (in very good packing if it is also checked as baggage--it's a rough ride!), the main unit drops to 60 pounds. That would be under the 70-lb limit I've seen for some airlines.

Over 70-lb it is considered cargo. Maybe that's a good alternative, too.

Roger, Great,

Can I do it on my own in Hotel where I will be staying. Will it require something more than a screw driver. How are the connections.

I see a good hope here. Please explain some more.

Thanks.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Roger, Great,

Can I do it on my own in Hotel where I will be staying. Will it require something more than a screw driver. How are the connections.

I see a good hope here. Please explain some more.

I have no details of the innards of that product. I'll bet there is a Hsu thread here where owners can advise all the details.

Or, if you are purchasing from a dealer, they may be willing to assist you.

Good luck!

Roger

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page