Modernizing my vintage Infinity speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I am just beginning to check out surround systems. I am more into music than movies but plan on watching more movies and less TV in the future. I currently have what I believe are RS4 Bs (2 8" woofers, mid and tweet). I get lovely base at low volumes on these speakers paired with B&O 4000. I will be keeping these speakers initially but want get a start on a system that will come close to this sound. I do not want to spend $10,000 for the entire system. I am thinking 5.1 in the living room and will be looking at receivers that are dual so I can eventually add some good sound in the kitchen/dining area.

Yesterday I listened to some Paradigm speakers. I am guessing they are studio. I was recommended the Monitor series for a center. That total system seems more my price range. What I heard was lacking the deep base I am used to. Perhaps this is just the way surround is supposed to be. It sounded brighter than what I am used to. That may also be the norm for today, though I have seen some recommendations here for some warmer speakers. I am not sure that is the correct term for the difference in the sound. It also seems that the local dealers only have the higher end models for listening. So I will not have the luxury of hearing the entry level speakers from some of these companies. I do also feel that I want at least a 2.5 way and would prefer a 3 way speaker for eventual replacement of the Infinities.

So, will listening to the higher end models give me a good idea of the sound from the more entry level systems?

Anyone here who has heard the sound on the older Infinities have an idea of which might get me a closer sound? My look at the current Infinity models indicates that they have changed since 1986.

I saw some recommendations for the Salk SongBirds and those have peaked my interest. I have emailed to see if there is any way to hear them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-16-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Do you have a sub with your current setup? Typically with newer systems you don't need your speakers to handle all of the bass(not base, btw). You would just make sure that your speakers would go low enough for the sub to take over. This will allow your speakers to focus more on mid and high frequencies and overall you would get more and deeper bass because of the capability of the sub. So try not to focus a lot on the very low end of the towers you listen to. Maybe even demo them with a sub a little bit. Since subs are more prevalent these days, it is a little less common to find towers with dual 8" woofers. You could also try going into a Best Buy/Magnolia. They will have a decent selection of speakers in the range of the Paradigms. As far as Salk is concerned, it doesn't look like they have dealers. At the very least, their website is very unclear. It looks like you can only purchase direct, but they do not list a return/demo policy. Your best bet is to find a forum member near you that is willing to let you listen to theirs. You can listen to higher end models and get an idea of what the lower end ones sound like. Be VERY careful though. They should be at least similar to what you are looking at. Same tweeter/driver technology. Similar driver configuration(i.e. 2 way, 3 way). Similar tower design, so don't listen to tower if you want the bookshelf. Also, if you are going to do this, make sure you have some sort of return policy that allows you to listen in your home for at least a couple weeks.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Speakerphile. I guess I was not as awake this AM as I thought. Dah. My current set up is just the 2 Infinities. The system I heard yesterday was a complete surround system with a sub. There was very little base at all. Then again since they would not play my music it could have been what they were playing.

Thanks for the tip on BestBuy. I did not realize they had speakers worth checking out. I do want towers for the front r/l vs bookshelf. I know they say they are better these days but the bookshelf speakers will not give me decent sound in the living room.

So what would BestBuy have that is the equivalent of the Paradigm Monitor series?
post #4 of 6 Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrick View Post

Thank you Speakerphile. I guess I was not as awake this AM as I thought. Dah. My current set up is just the 2 Infinities. The system I heard yesterday was a complete surround system with a sub. There was very little base at all. Then again since they would not play my music it could have been what they were playing.

Thanks for the tip on BestBuy. I did not realize they had speakers worth checking out. I do want towers for the front r/l vs bookshelf. I know they say they are better these days but the bookshelf speakers will not give me decent sound in the living room.

So what would BestBuy have that is the equivalent of the Paradigm Monitor series?

Don't really know what prices the Paradigms are going for, so I will list all the brands they carry. Definitive Technology, Martin Logan, Vienna Acoustics, Energy, Mirage. They should currently be closing out Klipsch Icon W series, so you might be able to get a good deal of those. Bring your own music, you will have no trouble getting them to play it. These are all brands they will carry in their Magnolia locations only. The nearest to columbus being the Tuttle Crossing location off of 270 in Dublin. I'm sure there are other speaker dealers around columbus as well, but I am not familiar with the area and the smaller shops can be hard to find. Might try the yellow pages, if they still make those.....

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcrick View Post

T Then again since they would not play my music it could have been what they were playing.

They would not let you play your music? This is alarming, what kind of shop is it? !!

Paradigm is a good start, also be sure to audition Revel, B&W, Dali, Monitor Audio, etc...

What is your overall price range? What about rounding out your current system with used Infinity stuff?

Ron
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2010, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SpeakerPhile! I did not see those looking on-line. I may head over to Tuttle this weekend. Oh, Salk does offer a 30 day return policy and I am getting to listen to some locally. Jim has been very helpful. His lovely cabinets are a draw as were the ones on my current Infinities (oak with the fluted edges - I think fluted is the term). I am also seeing comments that lead me to believe the sound may be what I am looking for.

Ronaldo, thanks you for the tips. I think it was a new guy. He did say he was not sure how everything was hooked up. That did bother me a bit and it is a shop that sells mostly high end audio. I will have to go back there to hear Revel at that location unless I can find another shop locally.

I called another place on Sunday. They have Martin Logan and Mordant-Short though I don't know if they have the latter for listening. They actually have one of the small Logan entry level speakers along with the more expensive ones. It seems the high end shops have had to cut way back due the economy in this area. I see one more shop locally to check.

I think my speaker budget is $3500-4000. My initial thought was to keep the Infinities for now and start with a good center. I just want to know where I am headed so I don't end up with miss matched voices too much. I also want to put something in the kitchen dining area so need a little for that down the line.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page