Liked: 10
Hello people!

I'm wondering which surround speakers I should get.. here's my set up:
Denon 688 Receiver
Klipsch RF82
Klipsch RC52
Subwoofer Sony SAW2500
2 Old no name speakers in the back.

I want to finish my 5.1 with two Klipsch speakers.

Which ones should I get and why?
RB61? 400$ for the pair
RS62? 1200 for the pair? not sure.
RS52? 800$ for the pair? not sure.
RS42? 400$ for the pair

Here are some more questions:
Is it true the RS52 fits better with my RF82 than the RS42 does?
Is there a real sound difference between the RB61 and RS52/42? If so, is the difference worth the major price tag?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Go with the RB-61s and don't look back. IMO you will have better use for the money elsewhere in your system. Yes the RS-62 is a better speaker but if it's worth it is up to you. My opinion is crap. Honestly you could watch CL or Fleabay for a used pair of B-3 or B-2 and save even more. But the RB-61 is a good speaker.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by esc0bar View Post

Hello people!

I'm wondering which surround speakers I should get.. here's my set up:
Denon 688 Receiver
Klipsch RF82
Klipsch RC52
Subwoofer Sony SAW2500
2 Old no name speakers in the back.

I want to finish my 5.1 with two Klipsch speakers.

Which ones should I get and why?
RB61? 400$ for the pair
RS62? 1200 for the pair? not sure.
RS52? 800$ for the pair? not sure.
RS42? 400$ for the pair

Here are some more questions:
Is it true the RS52 fits better with my RF82 than the RS42 does?
Is there a real sound difference between the RB61 and RS52/42? If so, is the difference worth the major price tag?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

For me, I have 3 RS-42's in the back and they sound awesome. I would pick up a pair on eBay, save some money and upgrade the center with the RC-64 center channel. It blends in better with the RF-82's than the smaller RC-52, male and female voice sound excellent on it and when voices go off center you can't tell any difference in timbre.

When loud (or even soft) effects pan to the back, the RS-42's handle it clean and with impact so I have no complaints.

Good luck!

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 AM

I have RS-52s and they sound great. I've upgraded all my other speakers, but have kept the RS-52s.

If money is a issue, buy used. Used speakers a few years old will sound as good a new speakers. Also high end audio stores may carry used speakers with a warranty.

RS-52s are a match for your RF-82s, but RS-42s should sound fine.

I do agree with the earlier post that you should upgrade the RC-52. Your center should be a RC-62. The RC-64 is amazing, but its not a perfect match for the RF-82s. I would only buy a RC-64 if I was planning a future upgrade to RF-63/83.

I personally would spend my money first on the center then address the rears. While watching TV, 70% of the sound comes from the center speaker.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad311 View Post

I have RS-52s and they sound great. I've upgraded all my other speakers, but have kept the RS-52s.

If money is a issue, buy used. Used speakers a few years old will sound as good a new speakers. Also high end audio stores may carry used speakers with a warranty.

I do agree with the earlier post that you should upgrade the RC-52. Your center should be a RC-62. The RC-64 is amazing, but its not a perfect match for the RF-82s. I would only buy a RC-64 if I was planning a future upgrade to RF-63/83.

I personally would spend my money first on the center then address the rears. While watching TV, 70% of the sound comes from the center speaker.

After comparing the two, I know the technically correct center is the RC-62, but to me it lacked something, I A/B compared them and the 64 just sounded better with the 82's but I could be wrong.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think any of the options are good, so you can't really make a mistake on the surrounds.
Everyone has a slightly different situation, sometimes size matters a lot.
The way the RS speakers mount on the wall looks better than a bookshelf speaker does to me, especially when the bookshelf speaker has to be turned towards the listening area. In addition (in my case) the RS-42 fit between the top of a door opening and the ceiling where the others you listed would not.
Overall the RB-61 and RS-62 are the better sounding speakers.
If you can mount the RB-61 where you want them and they look OK to you that is what I would recommend.
But if you choose any of the other options they will get the job done in grand style too.

Some have suggested changing the center channel, if you are happy with the RC-52 I would recommend keeping it.
I have a RC-62 paired with RF-83's and it matches good enough that I do not hear any problems with the front sound stage at all. I have RS-42's for the surrounds and they hold up their end of the deal too.

Regards,
Charlie

post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Liked: 13
No message.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad311 View Post

I watch totally zero TV... the only time I open the TV is to watch a movie or play games. I also watch sports though, but I don't think the center speaker affects sport games that much?

Thanks for the replis guys! appreciated!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page