Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UPDATE: Added additional room information

Long time lurker...

I'm in the market to replace my HT speaker setup. I'm a fan of Klipsch and have auditioned many of their matched systems (not ideally in my home, but decent demo room). I am trying to keep the budget sane, and deal with a few shortcomings of the room for placement. I'd rather put the investment for the best bang, thus the Center and Front selections below (as opposed to their smaller reference cousins).

Room: 18x24 w 9' slanted ceiling
Viewing: 9' from screen (46" Samsung LCD)
Receiver: Onkyo 608
Sub: Vega 12" (decent, not looking to replace for now).

Here is my proposed plan:
Center: RC-62
Front L/R: RB-61
Rear, Rear Back, Wide/Height: Quintet III

The issue I have is one side of the room is an opening and only has about a 10" bulkhead to hang things on (slanting ceiling, so mounting an issue). I might be able to squeeze a bookshelf speaker on there, but it would be tight.

Am I going way off match/timbre with a QIII for this? I think the RS-42 is way overpriced for my needs, and I prefer direct fire anyway. Or should I up it a little with an RB-10/B-2? I'm not sure it's really worth paying premium for surround...

Advice? Open to any suggestions.

-wog

Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
http://arcadecontrols.com/
Build Your Own Arcade Controls Forum
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Imo, the Quintet III would work nicely for surrounds with the RB-61s. There may be a slight tonal difference but it probably won't be noticeable....Keep your receipt in case I am wrong. ;-)
post #3 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

anybody else?

-wog

post #4 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwoogie View Post

anybody else?

How about a second opinion from the same dude?

The RB-10s would work as well and have the same tonal quality as your RB-61s, but you probably couldn't tell the difference between them and the Quintet IIIs in surround duty. If there isn't much difference in price I would go with the RB-10s so you could resell the package as a Klipsch Reference HT, when you upgrade.

Fwiw and depending on placement, the RS-42s could add depth to your rear soundstage for movies, although I would stick with a direct firing speaker for multichannel music. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
sirwoogie -- Personally, I would recommend getting the RB-81s for your front L/R channel mains. They are much better than the RB-61s, for that purpose (and they match the RC-62 much better, as well). The front L/R speakers are the focal points of your surround sound system, and the better speakers you use, the better the overall sound will be. The RB-81s are more capable of handling the dynamics of music and movies movies than the RB-61s (which would be great for the Rear Back channels in a 7.1 system, BTW).

Also, you do not have to get all 7.1 channels of speakers at once. Setting up a good 5.1 configuration is much more important (even just the front sound stage, R,L, & C), to start with. Most movies only have 5.1 channel audio anyway, and all HDTV movies are also 5.1 channel, at best. You can always use a pair of low cost direct radiator speakers (under $50 each) as temporary surrounds, if necessary.

I know that you said that you prefer direct radiator speakers, but they are just not designed for correct surround (side) speaker use in homes. They do work in movie theaters where there are multiple surround sound speakers along each side wall, but in the smaller HT room, they don't. The side surrounds are supposed to provide ambiance, and direct radiator speakers don't do that correctly. You did say that you have a surround sound speaker mounting challenge, but you really should try to (creatively) figure out how to mount a pair of RS-42s (as a minimum) for the side surrounds (they should be mounted up high (more than 2' above the listeners heads) -- they could even be hung from the ceiling, definitely not optimum.

My suggestions may bust your budget (which you didn't mention), but will give you a better surround sound experience. Personally, I currently am using direct radiator speakers for my surround sound speakers (they don't do the job, even when angled for diffuse sound), and I'm planning on getting the RS-62s for my surrounds (when my budget allows).

The Quintet III speakers are not that bad, but using a full set of matched Reference series speakers would do a much better job. BTW, some Klipsch owners use RS-62s for both side and rear surrounds, with some success. However, a better cost trade-off, IMHO, would be a pair of RB-61s for the rears.

Depending on the size (width) of your room, I'm not sure if the height/width channels really are of any benefit (they aren't in my relatively narrow room - 13' wide). The Quintet III's might be OK for that use (a pure guess on my part).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 05:24 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

How about a second opinion from the same dude?

The RB-10s would work as well and have the same tonal quality as your RB-61s, but you probably couldn't tell the difference between them and the Quintet IIIs in surround duty. If there isn't much difference in price I would go with the RB-10s so you could resell the package as a Klipsch Reference HT, when you upgrade.

Fwiw and depending on placement, the RS-42s could add depth to your rear soundstage for movies, although I would stick with a direct firing speaker for multichannel music. Good luck.

If he is placing these against a wall the RB-10's will not work since they are rear ported.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

If he is placing these against a wall the RB-10's will not work since they are rear ported.

Good Point. Then I would consider CT's advice if he can raise the budget...If not, go with my original opinion.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, i double-checked on the RB-10 and they definitely won't work as I am wall mounting. I agree that more emphasis on a 5.1 is better until 7.1 is more widely accepted as discrete channels.

The room is basically a great room 18'x24' where one 18' is more or less open, and the rear 24' is more or less open (has a drop ceiling of a few feet). Thus, my mounting dilemma and sound quality of the room (I mean two walls are basically gone).

The budget was around $1200-$1400, so that tightens up a bit the options I have. I have demoed everything, and did not find the necessary justification for the RB-81 on the fronts vs. the 61. Obviously it has a larger presence, but I think my tastes will lean toward the 61 there. I also changed my mind on the RS-42, but really I'd have to get them in the room to know which works better. I agree that wides, height (which I can't hear the difference with) and back can be something smaller.

So what would probably keep me in the budget range is:

L/R: RB-61
C: RC-62
Surr: RS-42
Wide: RB-10
Back: QIII/RB-10 depending on sound quality (optional for now as not much content).

-wog

post #9 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 04:16 PM

from the Klipsch web site on the RB-10:

The RB-10 has both a back-panel keyhole for on-wall mounting and a threaded insert for attachment to popular adjustable wall and ceiling brackets.

why would they build a keyhole mount if it cant be flush mounted on the wall? I understand they are rear ported- is there an option to plug the port?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by donfenyk View Post

from the Klipsch web site on the RB-10:

The RB-10 has both a back-panel keyhole for on-wall mounting and a threaded insert for attachment to popular adjustable wall and ceiling brackets.

why would they build a keyhole mount if it cant be flush mounted on the wall? I understand they are rear ported- is there an option to plug the port?

It is not that you can't mount them on the wall. It is that you should not mount them on the wall.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page