Using an LR speaker as center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I screwed up bad. I dropped a customer's Klipsch RF-62 during delivery, damaged the top corner and grill and had to buy him a new one. Now I've got a dinged-but-working speaker. My own theater uses RF-63's and I don't have a center yet. My question is to the suitability of using the RF tower, layed on its side, as a center speaker. It won't be a typical diappolito array but I'm not sure if that will make a difference. I'm not concerned about the appearance of the ding or the base in my own room (not really, but the price is better than a new RC62).

Skiing, riding, security and sound. Oh, and a house-full of girls as my "excuse" for a man-cave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Technically, the best possible front would be 3 identical full range speakers... Keep in mind that the traditional center channel is designed to be the best possible compromise between sound quality and convenience... in most application a 3rd full range speaker placed dab-smack in the middle doesn't work as it then would block the screen (being projector or tv, doesn't really matter).

If you can fit the damaged speaker right in the center (standing up in its normal position), then you will have a great sound stage.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #3 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 07:24 AM

Well since the RF62 and RF63 don't have anything in parts in common it may sound a little different. Its probably better then no center but less desirable then the matching RC64 or a third RF63.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

NOW I'm REALLY confused with that statement between the RF62 and 63. They are the exact same speakers, just an additional 6" driver, are they not?

Skiing, riding, security and sound. Oh, and a house-full of girls as my "excuse" for a man-cave.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSP-Biker View Post

OK, I screwed up bad. I dropped a customer's Klipsch RF-62 during delivery, damaged the top corner and grill and had to buy him a new one. Now I've got a dinged-but-working speaker. My own theater uses RF-63's and I don't have a center yet. My question is to the suitability of using the RF tower, layed on its side, as a center speaker. It won't be a typical diappolito array but I'm not sure if that will make a difference. I'm not concerned about the appearance of the ding or the base in my own room (not really, but the price is better than a new RC62).

It will "work", but the horn will be turned sideways, changing its' dispersion pattern into the room. It's a 90 x 60 horn, although the frame looks like it might be square. If it is, and you can rotate the tweeter 90 degrees, you should be fine. If not, you'll likely have more vertical dispersion than with the speaker in its' regular vertical orientation. Treat the floor and ceiling, and you should be OK on-axis. I can't predict what it will sound like off-axis.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

NOW I'm REALLY confused with that statement between the RF62 and 63. They are the exact same speakers, just an additional 6" driver, are they not?

You must not be the salesman! They have nothing in common.. different types of woofers, the 63,83 and RC64 have larger tweets... they are "supposed" to be timbre matched to the entire RF line (BS)...using different drivers all they can get is close..not as close as using the same speakers or the RC62 which uses the same tweeter as the RF62/82.

I'd just get a 64 which will be as close as you can get to mathcing your mains without getting another 63 as a center (if only you'd had dropped one of those).
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:

They are not.

RF63:
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1.25" (3.2cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Triple 6.5" (16.5cm) High-output Cerametallic™ cone woofers

RC64:
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1.25" (3.2cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Quad 6.5" (16.5cm) High-output Cerametallic™ cone woofers

RF62:
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofers

RC62:
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic™ cone woofers

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

It will "work", but the horn will be turned sideways, changing its' dispersion pattern into the room. It's a 90 x 60 horn, although the frame looks like it might be square. If it is, and you can rotate the tweeter 90 degrees, you should be fine. If not, you'll likely have more vertical dispersion than with the speaker in its' regular vertical orientation. Treat the floor and ceiling, and you should be OK on-axis. I can't predict what it will sound like off-axis.
Craig

What? No. The center channel would be used horizontally, and the floor standing speakers would be user vertically. No need to turn anything. The horns are both the same direction in the idea placement.

post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

You must not be the salesman! They have nothing in common.. different types of woofers, the 63,83 and RC64 have larger tweets... they are "supposed" to be timbre matched to the entire RF line (BS)...using different drivers all they can get is close..not as close as using the same speakers or the RC62 which uses the same tweeter as the RF62/82.

I'd just get a 64 which will be as close as you can get to mathcing your mains without getting another 63 as a center (if only you'd had dropped one of those).

Yes they are different. If you can't hear the different, KLH makes some sweet speakers.

See, you suggested the same as I did. Too bad the RF63 and RC64 cost the same, or close.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdoverclocker View Post

They are not.

RF63:
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Triple 6.5" (16.5cm) High-output Cerametallic cone woofers

RC64:
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Quad 6.5" (16.5cm) High-output Cerametallic cone woofers

RF62:
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers

RC62:
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers

What? No. The center channel would be used horizontally, and the floor standing speakers would be user vertically. No need to turn anything. The horns are both the same direction in the idea placement.

The horn tweeters have a 60 degree vertical dispersion and 90 degrees horizontal dispersion. Craig john is talking about rotating the tweeter of the center tower so that when it is on it's side it still maintains the same dispersion patter of the mains. Problem is, I think the front baffle and horn are one piece and can't be rotated.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

The horn tweeters have a 60 degree vertical dispersion and 90 degrees horizontal dispersion. Craig john is talking about rotating the tweeter of the center tower so that when it is on it's side it still maintains the same dispersion patter of the mains. Problem is, I think the front baffle and horn are one piece and can't be rotated.

My bad.. I missed the "laying on its side" statement.

post #11 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

It would be way easier to do a tape veneer "repair" to the speaker than to try to rotate the horn. I'd still have to deal with the aesthetic of the foot. The drivers are in fact not the same, and the dispersement patterns will be critical due to the 14' deep and 18' wide primary seating area (though the room is much larger). Having a Home Theater is much a Nirvana Experience, so I should make every reasonable efffort to do it right.

Therefor this unit is for sale, hopefully with the proceeds going towards a proper RC-64. What's it worth?

Thank you all for the input.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page