AVS Forum banner

Liked Klipsch la scala n heresy's what to upgrade for home theater?

17K views 105 replies 18 participants last post by  curt248 
#1 ·
Update: I ended up going with 3 Klipsch La Scalas up front. I bought them used for a total of $1700.

My goals are to get something very dynamic that can play at high volume to keep up with my epik empire subwoofer which can hit 130db at 80hz.

I just listened to some 1977 klipsch la scalas and some 1972 (maybe) klipsch heresy's. I then went home to listen to my current setup with the same songs (maria carey).

The klipsch speakers were so clear and had such separation that it almost make the electronic drum sounding carey song's sound bare (with lots of holes in the sound field). When listening to my setup, the same song just sounded terrible with all of the sounds being on top of one another. There was no separation of voice and individual instruments. I listened to these songs at around 110db or so (guessing). My speakers have a high sensitivity of around 97. My onkyo receiver puts out about 145 watts rms into 2 channels.

Rock music on the klipsch speakers sounded just plain amazing on both sets. The sound field really filled in and the heresy's sounded on par with the ls scalas with the exception of less bass which shouldn't be a problem for me since I have a decent subwoofer.

I posted here earlier, but have done more research. I got some great advice from you guys to get me started in the right direction and to figure out what my goals really are; crisp, loud, distortion free, accurate sound.

The pro-10's were a suggestion that I might go for, but they haven't been released yet so I'm considering others too. I don't mind buying used. My fiance prefers a more modern look though, so new might be good. I of course want the best sound for my money and can deal with older designs better than she.

I can't get the clear sound out of my head that came with the la scala's. The heresy's sounded very similar to the la scala's too and both would be a huge (like 10 fold) improvement over my cerwin vega's.

The la scalas are in great condition and are selling for $1300. I found a really good condition (according to the add) heresy's for $350. I found another set of heresys with an asking price of $300 with cosmetic damage (i haven't seen them yet).

The pro-10's will go for $1000 for 3 or $1600 for 5. There are a lot of options here, but advice would be great on these or other options that might be good for my goals. I probably won't spend more than $1500 to start with and would prefer spending about $1000 for the front 3 speakers (and add the rears later, use my cerwin vegas for now).

I know now that I really need an upgrade in my ht speakers.

I listen to home theater 95% of the time (with the new la scalas I listen to music about 20% of the time now).

Here's my current speaker setup. Cerwin Vega RE-30's for fronts (12 inch floorstanding circa ~1996), Cerwin Vega RE-20 (floorstanding 8 inch) for the center and one RE-20 (just picked up a pair) for a surround and the other surround is a cerwin vega D-1, I believe, (8 in floorstanding) that I bought used in 1992), and a recently purchased Epik Empire subwoofer (dual 15in subs, 600W amplifier for $799 (retail $1499).

I currently have an epson 8500ub 1080p projector ($2500), a da-lite high power 119 inch diagonal screen (Cinema contour) ($1500), an onkyo sr-805 receiver (130W RMS X7, THX ultra 2 certification), and a PS3.

Any advice from the experts?

See less See more
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/18940881

I have heard jubilee's before a couple times and they are amazing. They were at a fellow forum members house and driven by 8 watt tube amps. Even with that little amount of power they are insanely powerful and detailed. I may get the chance to go back up there this weekend because he has added a third for a center. Now that will be amazing paired with dual dts-10's and a pair of la scalas for surrounds!

Now that is what I am talking about. I wish I could have surrounds that big or I would have 5 of the same speakers. I was actually going to buy 5 but realized there is no way they could ever fit.

#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/18741535

The "Academy" was a center specifically designed for use with the Hertitage series.

Not to be disrespectful but I could not disagree more. I don't know which family the Academy might have been designed for but, I once had three of them and used one between my LaScalas.

I was NEVER happy with the performance. Although the Academy is a fine speaker, it simply can not keep up with the ouput of a pair of LaScalas. Since the center channel is such an important channel for HT, I think you are cutting your legs off if you go this route.

my opinion is, LaScala is best for center (duh), then Belle, Cornwall. I personally would prefer to stay away from a Heresy.... I am convinced the center should match the others to such a degree that I'd try to find any way to make it work, especially before using an Academy.

I sold all 3 of mine.

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 /forum/post/18940225

Do you think the 501 (I presume you mean the 401) inside the la scala turned on it's side would work ok? Maybe the k402 could sit next to the la scala (that's already on its side). Hmm I think I'm getting an idea here.

Ok what exactly do I need to make the jubscala? I can get the ev dx-38 for $450 from a guy who is selling them on craigslist. As far as I can tell, I'll need one dx-38 for two jubscalas. Is there a unit that I could use for all three front speakers as jubscalas.

What should I do for rears? If I go with the jubscalas for fronts, then what would be a good match for rears (I currently do not have room for more la scalas)?

My text in red above, just to make sure I'm on same page. The 400/401 have collapsing verticals. The technical stuff about that is a bit beyond me but as I understand it, as the frequency goes up, the vertical distribution if it narrows. I think if you put it on the side, you would then have horizontal disperson collapsing and that might not be the best way to do it. It certainly might suffice.... but the person in the center seat would probably have the best sound and it would fall off as you shifted left or right of center.

To make a JubeScala you would need a LaScala or a bass bin (you could chop the top) and a K510 or K402 and an active crossover. The settings for the Dx already exist...I could email them to you or post a pdf. I'd sell the HF drivers in the LaScala to recoup some cost....once you hear the differrence you will never listen to them again. (perhaps you could cob them into something for rear channels? maybe mount between studs?)

If you can get a working Dx for that price... JUMP ON IT. The cheapest I've ever seen working Dx's go for (ebay) was $400 and two others for $500 (both bought by me
)

For three JubeScals, you would need 6 channels of sound so you would need either two 3-way crossovers or two 2-way. If you bought two Dx's you would have 2 output channels left over that might make for great sub management??

I'll have my Jubilee's as my fronts, JubeScala for center and my other two (originally bought by me 30 years ago) Lascalas pulling rear duty, buried in the wall.

I do not want to use a screen for watching the nightly news so if I use my 52" Sony, it'll have to sit atop the speaker and that dictates K510.

If I get rid of that and use the projector to watch the news, then I can do the AT screen thing. I'm still undecided.

#80 ·
Oops, you probably meant K510. I don't know how it works on pattern but... could you simply chop the top off the LaScala bin and set the K510 (with proper orientation) on the floor next to it? Perhaps build a little box to house it in so you can angle it up a bit?

For an accurate answer, that's over my head on the tecnical side but I think setting it on the floor (with proper orientation) should work fine?

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/18941528

Now that is what I am talking about. I wish I could have surrounds that big or I would have 5 of the same speakers. I was actually going to buy 5 but realized there is no way they could ever fit.

He was previously using dual la scalas as centers with two more for surrounds. I listened to it like that, and while still a great sound, it never had a great uniform center image. Because of his TV he had to place the la scalas on each side of his TV. He has since replaced his 73" rptv with 109" AT projection screen. This made it possible for him to move the third jubilee in place.

My room is sounding great now. I changed my equipment from my gameroom to my living room. Its roughly half the cubic feet as my game room but sounds much better. The odd shape of my gameroom never lended itself to a good sound and I tried several speakers in there. Now I am getting that big sound I have been wanting.

To the OP, if you can manage jubilee's or a mix of them maybe with the tweeter you absolutely should. They are amazing speakers.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee /forum/post/18942040

Not to be disrespectful but I could not disagree more. I don't know which family the Academy might have been designed for but, I once had three of them and used one between my LaScalas.

I was NEVER happy with the performance. Although the Academy is a fine speaker, it simply can not keep up with the ouput of a pair of LaScalas. Since the center channel is such an important channel for HT, I think you are cutting your legs off if you go this route.

my opinion is, LaScala is best for center (duh), then Belle, Cornwall. I personally would prefer to stay away from a Heresy.... I am convinced the center should match the others to such a degree that I'd try to find any way to make it work, especially before using an Academy.

I sold all 3 of mine.

I based that comment on a friends experience that was sold (by a dealer) the Acadamy as the "Klipsch Recommended" center between his Khorns. I'm in complete agreement that LaScala is the best for the job, and that's where my money is going soon as I can find one. However, dealers were selling with a different approach. At least that one was.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/18942143

However, dealers were selling with a different approach. At least that one was.

Indeed, you are 100% correct. When I bought mine (new around 1994) I was living here in TN. I called the place I bought most of my stuff from, up in Ohio... and said do you have something for a center with LaSAcalas on the side? (yep... Academy) "do you also have the new Yamaha 2070?" (yep, got them too)

OK, I'd like you to send me three Academy's and one Yamaha.

I think I made his day for answering the phone call.

Part of the conversation was me asking him if the Acadmey was good in this context and he said it was made specifically for that use. I didn't know anything better at the time.

I don't think I lost a penny when I finally sold the three of them so in that context, it was a good trade. Sonically, it never made me happy.

#84 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 /forum/post/18926556

Apparently the heresy has the exact same mid and high section as the la scalas. This would make for a good timbre match i suppose. Although, I've heard some that have switched from a heresy center to a full la scala center say that there was a big difference. I'll have to assume that a la scala rear would be quite a bit better than heresy rears.

The Heresy only has the tweeter in common. The midrange and (of course) woofer are different. It has a smaller midrange horn but I don't know the number of it. The LaScala/Khorn/Belle use the K400 or K401 depending if it's metal or plastic.

I would think the Heresy would STILL make a good rear effects speaker.... is there really that much back there? Seems to me all the action is usually up front and the crickets and frogs are in the rear lol.

Seriously... I would think Heresy's would work great but of course, if you could put LaScalas back there it would be an improvement.

I know a guy in Indinapolis who has a 7 channel all LaScala system. It's pretty unfrigging real.

He kicked it into 2-channel mode for me to show me the phantom center image. I asked if he really had it in 2-channel because I could not hear the sides... only the center was playing.

He said yes, only 2-channel. Frankly, I didn't belive him and thought he was playing a prank on me so I actually stood up and walked to the center speaker (also LaScala).

As I was walking to it, I was going to bust his chops and call his bluff because the center speaker was the ONLY speaker making any sound.

Once I got about 3-4 feet from the front of the speaker.... the sound dissapated away and widened out to the right/left speakers.

I was dumfounded.

I have never EVER (everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) experienced any 2-channel setup where the center imaging was so articulate and convincing as this setup. (not even my own)

Sorry for the ramble

#86 ·
coytee, i think you are insane with that outdoor speaker setup. I guess when you go big, you go big!

Is the dx38 the best option then? I was thinking that maybe there is a setup that can control more than 2 (2way) speakers for less total $$?

Do you think that 2 jubscalas's (mains) and one la scala (not jubed out) for center would sound good or would I have to do all 3 fronts at once to get a decent sound?

You would think a cornwalls for rears would be a better match than heresys?

It looks like both the la scala and the heresy have the same drivers for midrange and tweeters, the k55 and k77.

I forgot about the difference in horns. Do the different horns make for very different timbre? When I listened to heresy vs la scala in an a/b comparision (once level matched) they sounded very similar with the la scala just having a more full sound, but the timbre seemed to be the same. I was thinking that the difference in fullness came from the different woofers and the hornloaded part of the la scala vs the direct firing woofer setup on the heresy.

If I do the jubscala upgrade it might not be for a year or two (since I'm already happy with what I have). When I do it, it would probably be with the 2 speakers to start with (mains). Should I buy the dx38 now or will the price of it drop in a year or two like most electronics? Also would it be wise to do just 2 speakers first or should I wait and do all 3 at once?

If I bought the dx38 now, is there anything I could use it for now without the k402's or 510's?

What are the benefits of the dx38? It sounds like they may be able to do a lot to smooth out response somehow but I'm not sure how or if thats true. I know a guy with jubilees for mains and a cutsom belle with the 510 for a center. He said he didn't like the active crossovers because of the noise they made. He ended up having a crossover made for the belle and the 510 combo. How loud are the active crossovers?

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 /forum/post/18942683

coytee, i think you are insane with that outdoor speaker setup. I guess when you go big, you go big!

I've just this week realized... I've got the space... and just how cool would it be to get five total stacks like that and put a HT system out in the field with a huge screen!!?? I've even called to get quotes on the parts I would need (ouch, expensive)

Is the dx38 the best option then? I was thinking that maybe there is a setup that can control more than 2 (2way) speakers for less total $$?

The reason in my mind, that the dx38 is so widely mentioned... might be in part, my fault. In the beginning, I was a dummy on active crossovers. When I bought my stuff, I asked Roy (Delgado) what parts I would need. I then asked if I'd be better suited to get the EXACT things he used (dx38). The sneaky reason I did this was simply... I knew that if I had any questions on how to program it, he would be willing to help me out. Mike & I both got the Dx38 and when the next person walked down the path of purchase, they contacted me/us to see what we did and naturally, we suggested the Dx38. When the next buyer contacted us... or contacted the 2nd owner... guess what... the Dx38 was probably mentioned.

The nice thing about it is, it's a good piece of eqipment. Evidently there are others that will CLEARLY do the same job. Some of them might have more noise in them, some of them may not. The beauty of staying with the Dx38 is, if you had one arrive to your hands 'today', I could email you the download file for it and you could upload the file into it and your programming would be DONE. This programming is done for the standard Jubilee, JubeScala/402, JubeScala/510 as well as using a TAD driver instead of the stock Klipsch drivers. So now, there is a wider support group and most of us are using that. There are some that are using something else and every now & then, they'll come up with a question of how to program it or how to accomplish something with it. When that happens, there is nothing I can do. Someone else might be able to.

Do you think that 2 jubscalas's (mains) and one la scala (not jubed out) for center would sound good or would I have to do all 3 fronts at once to get a decent sound?

I think it would be KILLER sound. Just a matter of degree. I think once you heard a JubeScala (not sure if you have yet?) you will immediately realize the improvement in sound and will soon start to work towards updating the center. It would certainly be good enough to thrill you for a while though.

You would think a cornwalls for rears would be a better match than heresys?

My feeling is, bigger is better. So, no disrespect meant to the Heresy's but the Cornwalls would keep up nicer with the LaScalas as well.

It looks like both the la scala and the heresy have the same drivers for midrange and tweeters, the k55 and k77.

I forgot about the difference in horns. Do the different horns make for very different timbre?

Out of my league, but I'd speculate yes. Cup your hands over your mouth and say something. Then, change the shape of the cupped hands.... do you hear a difference?

When I listened to heresy vs la scala in an a/b comparision (once level matched) they sounded very similar with the la scala just having a more full sound, but the timbre seemed to be the same. I was thinking that the difference in fullness came from the different woofers and the hornloaded part of the la scala vs the direct firing woofer setup on the heresy.

I do think Klipsch tries to voice these things to be similar. Perhaps when we get into these discussions, we are shaving the line thin at times? I'd rather have a Heresy there, than an old Advent AR speaker (no disrespect to the Advent)

If I do the jubscala upgrade it might not be for a year or two (since I'm already happy with what I have). When I do it, it would probably be with the 2 speakers to start with (mains). Should I buy the dx38 now or will the price of it drop in a year or two like most electronics? Also would it be wise to do just 2 speakers first or should I wait and do all 3 at once?

Personal call there. If you can find a Dx for $450, I'd be ALL over it. Indeed, I might have an interest to hear about it if you don't. I've only seen them trade that low once. I don't personally expect them to drop like electronics, but what do I know. I would see others coming to the market (Behringer?) with less pricing and more features. If memory serves me, the Dx38 has a made in Germany print on it. Many of these others are being made in China. That alone (not being from China, even if the Germany part is wrong) is enough to make me want to buy something....anything.

Where do you live? I honestly think once you hear the difference between a LaScala and JubeScala, you will be itching to make the change. If you are anywhere near me, you are MORE than welcome to do a side by side. I can configure a stock LaScala with ALK extreme slope crossovers, JubeScala/402 as well as the Jubilee and the outdoor MCM that I have (also 402 on top...unless we stack a LaScala up there
).

If I bought the dx38 now, is there anything I could use it for now without the k402's or 510's?

You could lend it to me?
. Do you have a sub? You could triamp a SINGLE LaScala and play around with triamping. You could take the time from now until getting the 402's to figure out your electronics (mixing RCA and XLR on the Dx38) so you could get rid of any hum that inserting the Dx38 might give you. With one preamp my hum is hardly noticable. With a different preamp, it's pretty darn annoying unless I slip my Art Cleanbox transformer into the circuit. That pretty much kills any/all of my hum issues. I don't know your budget. If your budget is there, I'd say just get them and get it done with. I can pretty well guarantee you that you will love the improvement. If your budget won't allow all at once, then I'd nab the Dx for $450 and two 402's. Nab another Dx later on and another 402/510 as you can for the center.

What are the benefits of the dx38?

I don't know enough tecnical stuff to really enumerate anything. For me, the benefit is, it is exactly what Klipsch uses at their lab. When they bring the Jubilee/other speaker into the chamber and run their curves, I think using the same tool they use is the best way to get as exact sound as I can. The Dx is a good unit, I personally, don't have any noise issues and am unaware of anyone who does. There are certainly other units which are good. One thing I WISH the Dx had was 3 outputs instead of only 2.

It sounds like they may be able to do a lot to smooth out response somehow but I'm not sure how or if thats true. I know a guy with jubilees for mains and a cutsom belle with the 510 for a center. He said he didn't like the active crossovers because of the noise they made. He ended up having a crossover made for the belle and the 510 combo. How loud are the active crossovers?
Would this be Steve? Send him a bi***-slap from me if you will lol

Regarding how loud are the actives... not sure I understand the question. Their only job is to divide the signal and provide some signal alignment (time alignment). If you mean noise, then mine isn't noisey OTHER than, I do get some hum as mentioned above....but that really isn't the fault nor generation of the Dx unit itself but rather, my mixing in a pro Dx38 unit with my consumer level preamp and today, consumer level power amp.

I also have a pair of Crown K2's that I've been using as my main amps on my Jubilee's. I have them out of the system 'right now' because I'm using one of them for the outdoor stuff. The Dx38 has XLR inputs and outputs ONLY. The Crown K2's have XLR inputs so they mate well. My goal is to iron out what I can to kill the noise, even if it means a different preamp. I've done that with the preamp I have (any of them) and the Cleanbox transformer in the signal chain. I might add, the Cleanbox has been modified with the capaciter thing to improve the bass response of the unit (different conversation, that is said for those who know about it and were preparing to tell me I was killing my bass because of it)

#88 ·
Wow. Thank you so much for all of the information. I can't believe I didn't get a chance to read this until now. I've been out buying jetskis. It's so hot out lately.

Ok so the programs that you guys use for the dx-38's are not universal and will not work for other active crossover units?

I might try to make room for la scala's in the rear. I agree with your bigger is better analogy. All else being equal, bigger sounds better. There's no replacement for displacement right?

Do you think la scala's placed on the floor sound good as rears versus other speakers like the heresy placed with the tweeters 2 feet above the ears as suggested by most home theater placement guides?

Oh and one other question. I only have a receiver powering my speakers. What would I need to buy to make that work? I know you mentioned XLR input and outputs. My receiver has only rca ins and outs. When I bought my sub (which has xlr and rca) the guy said it was just for convenience of easy hook up and that's what the roadies liked to use. He didn't think there was a difference (for short runs) in sound quality. In any case, do I need some different equipment to use the dx38 or will my receiver suffice (onkyo sr805).

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 /forum/post/19038127

Wow. Thank you so much for all of the information. I can't believe I didn't get a chance to read this until now. I've been out buying jetskis....

I'm sorry but I got a chuckle out of this statement...I recommended at the beginning of this thread to run a WTB thread on the klipsch forum and when I woke up the next morning you had done that and had already arranged for a purchase.....You appear to be one fast dude on land and on water.
Congratulations on an awesome HT.

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 /forum/post/19038127

Wow. Thank you so much for all of the information. I can't believe I didn't get a chance to read this until now. I've been out buying jetskis. It's so hot out lately.

Ok so the programs that you guys use for the dx-38's are not universal and will not work for other active crossover units?

The paramaters would be universal but, I'd speculate that the RACE file (some kind of text file) for the Dx38 would not download seamlessly into another brands unit.

I might try to make room for la scala's in the rear. I agree with your bigger is better analogy. All else being equal, bigger sounds better. There's no replacement for displacement right?

Agreed

Do you think la scala's placed on the floor sound good as rears versus other speakers like the heresy placed with the tweeters 2 feet above the ears as suggested by most home theater placement guides?

That's over my head (no pun intended). I'm not a HT expert. I think others here would probably know that. If not, I can get you hooked up with a friend of mine, Rich, who has worked in the HT business for the last number of years AND who happens to have some of these items in his home. He's got MWM/402's in front and as I reacall, JubeScalas for his rears. Even if I'm wrong on those details, he's who I usually call for technical questions and is a very nice guy.

Oh and one other question. I only have a receiver powering my speakers. What would I need to buy to make that work? I know you mentioned XLR input and outputs. My receiver has only rca ins and outs. When I bought my sub (which has xlr and rca) the guy said it was just for convenience of easy hook up and that's what the roadies liked to use. He didn't think there was a difference (for short runs) in sound quality. In any case, do I need some different equipment to use the dx38 or will my receiver suffice (onkyo sr805).
Since you say 'receiver', let's temporarily forget about HT and focus strictly on 2-channel use. Once you move to HT, it's a matter of repeating it so let's start simple.

If you want to keep using this specific receiver, you can as long as it has either a tape loop or more hopefully, a pre out/in jack in the back.

What I speculate you would need to do is ALSO obtain another stereo amp (power amp, tube?? solid state??....your choice).

I would expect some hum issues (just being realistic) so I would expect you to benefit from something like an "Art Cleanbox" or Rolls also makes one, as do others. They are under $100 and are a transformer used to convert RCA line to an XLR line. They will also kill loads of hum issues.

I would expect you to need to go from the pre-out on your receiver (tape out?) into the Cleanbox to convert to XLR. The Left/Right signals would then go to the XLR inputs of the Dx38. The Dx38 has FOUR outputs, also of the XLR variety. Two of these XLR outputs would go BACK to the SAME Cleanbox you just came from (it works in BOTH directions simultaneously) and convert the XLR line back to a RCA line.

This RCA line would then go back to your Main-in (tape in?) on your receiver and would then via your speaker terminals on the back, go to either the HF horn or the LF horn, your choice.

You would be served to get another amp that has XLR inputs and then simply take the OTHER two XLR lines from the Dx38 to this amp via XLR wires and then hook your speakers up to it as well.

There are some guys who have bought and used RCA/XLR adapters with great success. I have also used them. Just depends on what power amp I'm using.

Mixing RCA and XLR lines is not impossible... just a bit problematic and those issues can be overcome.

As for line noise, I understand the real benefit of the XLR lines is to reject noise. If you have no noise issues in your unbalanced lines then I would not expect any addition of noise (other than probably hum) by mixing in the XLR.

But.... there is always a but!

Evidently, one of the keys to running the Dx38 effectively is, you want to maximize the input signal into it. It took me a year to figure that out and how to get around it with the parts I had at that time (I ended up selling the fixed input amps and now have Crown K2's with gain controls on the front)

In the beginning, I NEVER EVER had any of the input LED's nor output LED's on the Dx38 "working" Meaning, I was using VERY little voltage on the input side and my amps were very sensative. I was maximizing any noise I might have had.

By putting the Cleanbox into the system, that creates a hotter input signal and allows me to 'drive' the input of the Dx38 hotter which improves the signal/noise ratio. I've since learned that I can do the same thing WITHOUT the Cleanbox in the system by turning the gain knobs on my Crown's down to about 1/2 'volume'.

So, if I'm watching the evening news or having background music on during dinner, I turn the gains on the Crown's down to about 1/4 volume. This requires I jack my preamp volume HIGHER and drives the input on the Dx to its maximum prior to clipping. If the wife is gone and I'm going to be working outdoors with the windows open and want to listen to music, I put the input knobs on my Crown at 90 or 100% and now, I get blistering loud volume with my preamp's volume under 50% and I'm still maximizing the input section of the Dx38.

Make sense? There is going to be a test in 30 minutes for you

Seriously....as you walk down this path, feel free to send me a PM or email and I'll give you my phone number. It can be a lot more effective than trying to type all this out. Fortunately, I'm a pretty fast typer

#91 ·
This is the exact Cleanbox I have and you can see FOUR RCA jacks on the front. If you can find pictures of the rear you will find four XLR jacks on the rear.

Two of the RCA's on the front are inputs and go to two XLR's on the rear. The other two XLR's on the rear are INPUTS and get converted to RCA's on the front.

So the front has 2 input RCA's and 2 output RCA's, the back has 2 input XLR's and 2 output XLR's. Each "channel" has its own little volume control as well.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

#92 ·
I meant to add... you can go here http://www.electro-voice.com/downloads.php

and on the bottom left of the page, download for free, their RACE V3.10 software. This is the full blown program you use to program their Dx38.

In a coolest of cool world, you would have a serial cable connected to a laptop and your Dx so you can be in your easy-chair while programming it and listen to the changes as you make them.

In my circumstance, I have to unplug the Dx, carry it upstairs to plug into my PC so I can download the files. I'm too lazy to do that so I programmed the information in by hand which isn't hard to do either.

I can email you PDF's of the paramaters for the JubeScala if you want. I have them for the K402 as well as the K510. They are PDF's that you would use as your cheat-cheat to manually input the data into the Dx.

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt248 /forum/post/18940301

Here's a pic of my current set up. The screen is 120 inch diagonal. The front center and right speakers are Klipsch la scalas (3ft high X 2ft wide for a sense of scale).

That is awesome! Is that a 2.35:1 format screen? or HD format? I was thinking that the setup would sound better with the center La Scala upright. The screen can probably be mounted higher as well.

I'm hoping that I'll have room for a roll-down 2.35:1 screen for movies in front of my plasma, and over my center La Scala.

http://picasaweb.google.com/p.galbra...RoomInProgress

#94 ·
What You, I, most people will run into is not enough height for the big speaker and a screen. There is no room to put the la scala upright in our room with standard ceiling height and have a big screen.

Screen size is as important as sound in a theater in my opinion. I've seen lots of very nice sound setups with small screens.

The entire reason to have a projector is that there is no limit (compared to tv's) on screen size. I believe that if you are going to have a projector then you have to have a big screen. If not, then maybe you could get by with a 70 inch plasma tv. The plasma would have tons more lumens and could be watched with the lights on if you wanted.

Getting any screen of 100 inches or smaller just wouldn't be worth it to me unless your room is equally as small (8ft X 10ft). A 100 inches seems good compared to tv's but as soon as you see a larger 120inch plus screen you'll have screen envy (no matter how much brighter (more lumens) your setup is at home. I'm a believer in buying what you'll eventually want in the first place and it will save you mind time and $$ in the end.

Ok enough with my big screen rant.

The only way around that is to use a AT (acoustically transparent) screen. One of the big issues with projectors is trying to get enough lumens (light at the screen) to the screen. You can pay big money to get lots of lumens.

The more lumens you have the bigger the screen you can use with a good (non washed out) image.

The problem is that AT screens have tons of little holes in the screen that reduce the number of lumens on the screen. So to use one you would be best to have a really bright projector (expensive at $5000 for the jvc but most over $10000) or have complete light control in your room (no ambient light at all). I've heard that an AT screen with no light is acceptable. I might just go this route myself someday. Currently the sound with the la scala on the side is at times like your actually on the movie set. I'm not sure how much better it can get. For now, I'm satisfied.

I will also do my best not to listen to anyones setups with the jubscala's or jubilee's until I'm ready to cough up the money to make my own. Sometimes it's best to enjoy what you've got rather than wishing for more.

10 years ago no one had blue-ray high definition movies in their homes. Now I rarely watch anything if it's not on blu-ray.

Pro-logic sound used to be the best.

byw: I love your hidden la scala feature. That scored really high for the WAF here at my place.

#95 ·
Have you seen an AT screen in action? The current ones are not a compromise. I'm using a $2k projector on a 168" wide AT screen. I do have full light control. IT IS WONDERFUL!

I stress time and time again on this forum. Do not shy from AT or screensize until you form your own opinion.

#96 ·
Where did you find room for the height on a 168" screen? Maybe since you need no room for a center speaker it would be easier to get away with a massive screen.

Which pj are you using?

Which screen do you recommend for AT?

Currently I'm using a da lite High Power 2.8 gain screen. With so much gain the pictures really pop.

What other screens have you compared yours too?

I'd love to see a massive AT screen in action. I wonder how long it would take me to get to South Carolina?

#97 ·
Curt,

My room is 17.5' wide, so I used most of the width of the room. The screen is SeymourAV's DIY material with a 1.1 gain. As you summized, one benefit is that speaker placement is no longer determined by screen and vice versa.

I had previously used a Da lite 2.1 pull down. There are pros and cons to the gain. I liked the pop of the higher gain, but it never was as smooth and detailed and deep. Of course, it's hard to make judgement, as projectors have changed as well.

I'm using the Panasonic AE4000. Very popular right now.

I've seen a dozen or so different home theaters with all variety of equipment. Haven't seen one yet that I'd trade for what I have, and this includes the $5k JVC on a 2k screen.

Don't misunderstand, it's all about preferences. I could see half the room feeling one way or the other. I'm happy with the half I have.

Don't know where you are? But you're welcome to PM me about a visit.

#98 ·
Have you ever figured out how many lumens you are getting to the screen?

What settings are you using with the pani ae4000? Are you able to use the best movie settings or using the dynamic mode?

With such a big screen I would have thought you would buy an Epson 8500ub like I did (for the extra lumens). Why did you go with the ae4000?

How much did it cost for your screen setup? How long did it take you to put it together?

#99 ·
I was under the impression you hadn't seen a comparable projector. Sounds like you've got more direct experience than I thought.

I did see the 8500 and thought that although it was brighter by a bit, it wasn't as deep or rich of a picture, and I thought the Panny was smoother (which I prefer). The auto zooming and focus was important as well.

I use it in 'Normal' mode, which is brighter than the cinema modes. I hear it's a compromise on color temps, etc. but I can't tell the difference in that respect. I will go to dynamic mode during HD sports on television, or video games, and can see a loss of contrast when I do that.

I don't know how many lumens I have. I'm sure it doesn't meet any standards, but brightness is not an area I feel I need improvement. I would appreciate improved contrast before overall lumens.

The screen was roughly $450 total. It's wood frame wrapped in velvet. My wife and I built it in roughly 4-5 hours. It was an easy project.

Sorry to be off topic. I'd be glad to continue this in a PM if you'd like.

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 /forum/post/19093159

The screen was roughly $450 total. It's wood frame wrapped in velvet. My wife and I built it in roughly 4-5 hours. It was an easy project.

Sorry to be off topic. I'd be glad to continue this in a PM if you'd like.

I'm going to be attempting to build a large scope screen and buying a suitable PJ in the next 12-6 months. Screen should be about 180". Not sure about AT at the moment. I don't' have a CC at the moment and if I did build one, I'd have to move the screen over 3 ft into the room to accommodate it.

Anyway, my questions to you are (1) Is your screen fixed? (2) is it curved? (3) how heavy is your screen?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.