Anyone have step-by-step photo instructions for connecting bare wire to banana plugs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not know how to connect bare wires to banana plugs (preferably solder-free). It appears to me that the wires would just fall out or does the screw hold them in somehow.

While on the subject, I can't decide which solder-free banana plug to use so I can attach 14AWG speaker wire to these banana binding posts that I bought from Monoprice.

Should I buy these banana plugs or these?

Thanks everyone!

I would procrastinate... but I keep putting it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Trust me when I say it's fairly easy. The one's that you first recommended: these are what I used. Here's some steps:

1. Unscrew the back of the plug
2. Place the wire through the back of the plug and spread the wires out underneath the metal join.
3. Retighten the screw.

and that's it.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #4 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I use those same closed screw plugs and they are fairly easy to install. The installation guide is on the same page as the plugs and also posted above with pictures.

Afro GT
post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect! Thanks everyone!

Is there anyway I can give feedback or provide reputation points to those who help me?

post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Not to my knowledge. Just let us know how it worked out for you.

Afro GT
post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Not to my knowledge. Just let us know how it worked out for you.

Will do.

On a side note, here are before and after photos of my home theater rough-ins for our new family room.
LL
LL

post #8 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfahnestock View Post

Trust me when I say it's fairly easy. The one's that you first recommended: these are what I used. Here's some steps:

1. Unscrew the back of the plug
2. Place the wire through the back of the plug and spread the wires out underneath the metal join.
3. Retighten the screw.

and that's it.

make sure none of the little strands of wire cross from the black to the red terminal, or from red to black....its important. I have done it and caused a short....not a good thing. I would say don't waste your money on banana plugs. They are nice for quick disconnect and re-connecting your speakers but if you have the extra couple of minutes, save yourself the money and just use bare wire. There is NO sonic advantage to using banana plugs. In fact, it has been my experience that bananas can work themselves loose and break a good contact point. KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid...words that I live by everyday! lol

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #9 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingndrooling View Post

make sure none of the little strands of wire cross from the black to the red terminal, or from red to black....its important. I have done it and caused a short....not a good thing. I would say don't waste your money on banana plugs. They are nice for quick disconnect and re-connecting your speakers but if you have the extra couple of minutes, save yourself the money and just use bare wire. There is NO sonic advantage to using banana plugs. In fact, it has been my experience that bananas can work themselves loose and break a good contact point. KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid...words that I live by everyday! lol

Good advice, but if he was referring to putting the wire straight in from the back (so the banana plug is like a continuation of the wire, and not perpendicular with it), then stray wire strands would be nearly impossible. I personally have been using banana plugs for years and I LOVE them. Especially when it comes to the receiver connections. There's nothing I hate more than having to unscrew all of the individual terminals that are crammed onto the back of a receiver and feed bare wires in while trying to reach around the back of my entertainment center. THIS is the scenario where you could get stray wires and not see it.

I've never had a banana plug come loose either, but I'm sure the possibility exists.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post

Good advice, but if he was referring to putting the wire straight in from the back (so the banana plug is like a continuation of the wire, and not perpendicular with it), then stray wire strands would be nearly impossible. I personally have been using banana plugs for years and I LOVE them. Especially when it comes to the receiver connections. There's nothing I hate more than having to unscrew all of the individual terminals that are crammed onto the back of a receiver and feed bare wires in while trying to reach around the back of my entertainment center. THIS is the scenario where you could get stray wires and not see it.

I've never had a banana plug come loose either, but I'm sure the possibility exists.

Pretty much. I was referring to the strands that are contained inside the plug, so virtually no chance of shorting unless you don't tighten down. Like drocpsu stated, I have never had issues with plugs either. They have always worked fantastic for me.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page