Old Bose 201 series III worth salvaging for use in rear? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Old Bose 201 series III worth salvaging for use in rear?

Speakers

Tsantsa's Avatar Tsantsa
05:06 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 5
06-09-2010 | Posts: 194
I have some old bose 201 series III speakers that I don't use. I currently use 2 old HTiB surround speakers for my surrounds. I am wondering if I should just go ahead and use the bose as the rears? The problem is that the tweets on the bose crackle a bit. Would it be worth salvaging (replacing) the malfunctioning parts to replace those tiny things I have running in the rears now?

Also, I'm running a Denon 1610 with some Jamo 6ohm's in the front/center. The bose are 8ohm (and I'm sure the rears are too, not listed), will this throw off the receiver at all? Or is that ok. I plan to get the matching Jamo's for the rear, but money has been tight of late. I can get tweets for about $10-$15 each on ebay. (anyone have a better source?)

Thanks.
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
05:22 PM Liked: 37
post #2 of 5
06-09-2010 | Posts: 5,935
A pair of those (in good working order) should do a nice job for surround. Oddly enough, a pair of Bose 901s aimed into the rear corners can do a spectacular job for surround channels in a 5.1 system. I can't believe I actually admitted that in print...

Tsantsa's Avatar Tsantsa
05:28 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

A pair of those (in good working order) should do a nice job for surround. Oddly enough, a pair of Bose 901s aimed into the rear corners can do a spectacular job for surround channels in a 5.1 system. I can't believe I actually admitted that in print...

SOMEONE TAKE A SCREENSHOT QUICK!!!! lol

Thanks. I was thinking that with the design of the cabinet, they could work as a sort of bipole surround.
Paul Scarpelli's Avatar Paul Scarpelli
05:33 PM Liked: 37
post #4 of 5
06-09-2010 | Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsantsa View Post

SOMEONE TAKE A SCREENSHOT QUICK!!!! lol

Thanks. I was thinking that with the design of the cabinet, they could work as a sort of bipole surround.

You are correct, sort of. They scatter a mildly diffuse soundfield; very spacious...although some would say specious.
Tsantsa's Avatar Tsantsa
07:24 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli View Post

You are correct, sort of. They scatter a mildly diffuse soundfield; very spacious...although some would say specious.

Hm. I have them connected in the rear and running some mp3's in matrix mode to get constant sound from the rears. They seem not to have blown the tweeters...I could have sworn they did. They sound far and away better than those crappy surround speaks!
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread