NEED HELP a.s.a.p on connecting speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a denon avr791 and def tech pro cinema 600 speaker system(both seperately) I did not know when you buy the def techs they dont provide you with speaker connection wires,my question is can i use my old sony htib wires http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-DDW670.../ref=de_a_smtd to connect these speakers even though the sony speakers output 6ohms and the def techs put out 8ohms,i might eventually buy better wires if i need too,please help,i want to experince these beasts lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiller122 View Post

I just purchased a denon avr791 and def tech pro cinema 600 speaker system(both seperately) I did not know when you buy the def techs they dont provide you with speaker connection wires,my question is can i use my old sony htib wires http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-DDW670.../ref=de_a_smtd to connect these speakers even though the sony speakers output 6ohms and the def techs put out 8ohms,i might eventually buy better wires if i need too,please help,i want to experince these beasts lol!

The ohms are driven by the speaker not the wire. So can you use your existing speaker wire, probably. Chances are with HTIB wires, they are probably 16 or 18 AWG and not very decent. I would definitely upgrade your wire to something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice 12 AWG, probably overkill, but for the price, well worth the investment.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your quick response, is there a risk that these wires could mess up the speakers or will it just not do the system justice,im definitely gonna upgrade tomorrow but i just want to hear them tonight and those speaker wires look good but can i find some like these in best buy or some other local store,i dont like to shop online too much also what did you mean by overkill for the price.i really appreciate your help.
post #4 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

thanks for your quick response, is there a risk that these wires could mess up the speakers or will it just not do the system justice,im definitely gonna upgrade tomorrow but i just want to hear them tonight and those speaker wires look good but can i find some like these in best buy or some other local store,i dont like to shop online too much also what did you mean by overkill for the price.i really appreciate your help.

Just hook them up with what you have in speaker wire. Then order the Monoprice 12 AWG wire from Monoprice.com. Something like 100' for about $30. And there will be a noticeable difference in the sound.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:06 PM

walmart has some nice 14 awg speaker wire cheap price too if you dont want to wait for shipping and should be plenty good for your system just make sure the polarity is correct.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

I live in new york city so walmart is dead for me,i was just browsing bestbuy.com and all i seened was expensive ones and 100' feet of wire,im pretty new to this so i wouldnt even know what to do with the wire,for the monoprice i would have to order a set for each speaker right which would run me somewhere between $50-$70 right,please dont get mad guys lol i told you i'm new to this so if my questions sound dumb i apologize.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hook 'em up and listen with what you have tonight...you'll be fine. You can get better wire when you can.

I think mfahnestock was saying that you don't necessarily need wire as heavy as 12 AWG, but the price is so good, you might as well get it. Enjoy.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help,one more question,i purchased the monster subwoofer cable,if i dont open it up i could take it back tomorrow and get my money back since the def tech manual says the best hook up method is to hook up the two front speakers to the sub and then from the sub to the receiver instead of using the rca cable and hooking the speakers directly to the receiver,i'm gonna hook it up like this but i dont have the extra wire so has anyone ever returned a open item to best buy and got a full refund or exchange.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I live in new york city so walmart is dead for me,i was just browsing bestbuy.com and all i seened was expensive ones and 100' feet of wire,im pretty new to this so i wouldnt even know what to do with the wire,for the monoprice i would have to order a set for each speaker right which would run me somewhere between $50-$70 right,please dont get mad guys lol i told you i'm new to this so if my questions sound dumb i apologize.

If you buy a 100' of wire, you can cut it to any length that you want.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help,one more question,i purchased the monster subwoofer cable,if i dont open it up i could take it back tomorrow and get my money back since the def tech manual says the best hook up method is to hook up the two front speakers to the sub and then from the sub to the receiver instead of using the rca cable and hooking the speakers directly to the receiver,i'm gonna hook it up like this but i dont have the extra wire so has anyone ever returned a open item to best buy and got a full refund or exchange.

This is going to seem like repetition but Monoprice offers various lengths of SW cable for a fraction of the price of Monster Cable. And that's a small fraction. Monoprice cables work just fine.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post

Hook 'em up and listen with what you have tonight...you'll be fine. You can get better wire when you can.

I think mfahnestock was saying that you don't necessarily need wire as heavy as 12 AWG, but the price is so good, you might as well get it. Enjoy.

Exactly. Personally, don't buy the hype about wire. Research a bit on the forum and you'll see that wire is pretty much wire. Monoprice tends to have the best prices around and you really' can't beat them. You can buy whatever gauge you want, but I went with 12 AWG since the price is great. I have all of my speaker lengths the same, but you can tweak settings on your AVR to compensate as well.

As for subwoofer, if you hook up the subwoofer to your front speakers, you have to set your speakers to "LARGE" in the configuration so the bass goes to the sub. In addition, if there are specific LFE frequencies you won't be able to hear them.

If it were me, I would connect the subwoofer to the receiver and connect the speakers to the receiver for true 5.1. I would not wire the speakers through the subwoofer. As for your subwoofer cable, it's basically a 75 ohm coaxial cable with RCA ends.

Here's the monoprice version:

post #12 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help and advice,unfortunately for me im gonna have to wait til tomorrow to experience my new system as i want to get a refund for the subwoofer rca cable since i wont need it,i wanna cry right now lol. I appreciate all the help and will let you guys know how things go tomorrow when i get everything i need.if i order the wire from monoprice 100' how do i use it? I'm pretty sure i have to cut the wire for each speaker but just want to make sure.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 10:07 PM

I know how you feel!!! Good luck tomorrow and I'd recommend checking out the AMP forum regarding the setup of your AVR. Chances are that once you run the Audyssey on the Denon, you may need to fine-tune your speakers a bit. Personally, I always ran my speakers on the setting "SMALL" to let all of the bass go through the subwoofer. The EQ sometimes leaves fronts as "LARGE" and other goofy things, but the AvR forum can give you some good tips.
post #14 of 25 Old 06-19-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfahnestock View Post

Exactly. Personally, don't buy the hype about wire. Research a bit on the forum and you'll see that wire is pretty much wire. Monoprice tends to have the best prices around and you really' can't beat them. You can buy whatever gauge you want, but I went with 12 AWG since the price is great. I have all of my speaker lengths the same, but you can tweak settings on your AVR to compensate as well.

As for subwoofer, if you hook up the subwoofer to your front speakers, you have to set your speakers to "LARGE" in the configuration so the bass goes to the sub. In addition, if there are specific LFE frequencies you won't be able to hear them.

If it were me, I would connect the subwoofer to the receiver and connect the speakers to the receiver for true 5.1. I would not wire the speakers through the subwoofer. As for your subwoofer cable, it's basically a 75 ohm coaxial cable with RCA ends.

Here's the monoprice version:

according to the def tech manual hooking the front speakers to the sub "gives the best blend between the satellite speakers and the sub as well as the fullest,richest sound quality" have you tried both methods and if so which one sounds better and why?
post #15 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:

according to the def tech manual hooking the front speakers to the sub "gives the best blend between the satellite speakers and the sub as well as the fullest,richest sound quality" have you tried both methods and if so which one sounds better and why?

donno y it would say that but its better to hook your sub to the LFE of the receiver and make sure all the speakers are on SMALL setting on the receiver which will give you a better blend of sound just like mfahnestock said.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Your old wires are probably good enough temporarily. Both Home Depot and Lowes sell 14 AWG and 12 AWG speaker wire in 50 and 100 foot rolls. 14 AWG is 40 cents a foot and 12 AWG is a dollar a foot.

If you use eBay, here are a couple of vendors that I buy wire and plug ends from. Tons of folks selling zip-wire for 20-30 cents a foot for 12 AWG.

Tributaries CS122 -- CL3-rated 12 ga -- http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Tributaries-...item3a564cbdb4

GLS Locking Banana plugs -- http://cgi.ebay.com/28-Locking-Banan...item5186d39f0a

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #17 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

I'm sorry, but the manual is just wrong. I don't know why Def Tech contiues to push speaker level connections, but connected this way you completely eliminate the Bass Management system in your receiver. Your receiver has a modern Bass Management system and will allow *much* more flexibility in setup than the very modest system in the sub. In fact, your manual also says:

Quote:

Option for Method 1 Hook-Up
An option on this hook-up (if your decoder will allow you to select “Large Left and Right Main Speakers” and a Subwoofer”), in addition to the hook-up as described above, is to use an RCA-to-RCA low level cable to connect the LFE/sub-out on your receiver to the low-level LFE/sub-in (the lower RCA input) on a ProSub. Tell your bass management system that you have “Large Left and Right Main Speakers” and a “Subwoofer” and “Small Center” and “Small Surrounds.” You will then be able to raise the LFE .1 channel level being fed to the subwoofer by either using the LFE/sub remote level adjustment on your decoder (if it has one) or the LFE .1 channel level control on your Dolby Digital channel balancing procedure. This set-up has the advantage of allowing you to set the low frequency level on the ProSub for smooth balance with music while also allowing you to “juice up the bass” for movies with the controls on your decoder. It should also sound somewhat better.

Variation on the Method 1 Optional Hook-up
One variation on the optional hook-up is to hook up and adjust the system as described under “Optional Hook-Up” except select “Small Left and Right Main Speakers” and a “Subwoofer” on the bass management system (along with “Small Center” and “Small Rear Surrounds”). The advantage of this over the Optional Hook-Up will be somewhat greater dynamic range (i.e., you can play the system louder). However, depending on the specific characteristics of the crossovers designed into your bass management system, the transition and blending between the satellites and subwoofer may not be quite as smooth and continuous as the Optional Hook-Up, or with the basic hook-up detailed above in Steps 1 – 10. However, if you wish to play the system louder, you can experiment with this variation. In addition, this variation is also
one which can be used if your decoder bass management system does not allow a “Large Left and Right Main Speakers” and “Subwoofer” setting. We encourage you to experiment with the various settings on your subwoofer, settings on your decoder, and hook-up options as described until you find the best combination for you.

http://www.definitivetech.com/docume...12909_read.pdf

If you want the best sound, and the most flexibility in sound optimization, use the subwoofer output of your receiver and connect it to the LFE/sub input on your sub.

Craig

Edit: You should still return the Monster subwoofer cable. It's *way* overpriced. When you order speaker cable from Monoprice, order a subwoofer cable at the same time. You'll save a bunch of $$$$!

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #18 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 AM

+1 to what craig john stated. Definitely use the pre-out for the sub.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

craigjohn your absolutely right,i read through that part quickly yesterday and ignored it just cause i was mad and wasnt really paying attention to the manual.i still need to buy new wire so i still need elp on how to do this,when i buy a spool of cable do i need to cut the wire myself and can i use any pair of wire cutters or should i use something specific and do i need to buy banana plugs to put the wire in before i plug it into the receiver,im totally lost on this and i appreciate all the knowledge you guys have shared with me.
post #20 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:

craigjohn your absolutely right,i read through that part quickly yesterday and ignored it just cause i was mad and wasnt really paying attention to the manual.i still need to buy new wire so i still need elp on how to do this,when i buy a spool of cable do i need to cut the wire myself and can i use any pair of wire cutters or should i use something specific and do i need to buy banana plugs to put the wire in before i plug it into the receiver,im totally lost on this and i appreciate all the knowledge you guys have shared with me.

You can cut the wire to custom lengths yourself. You just need an inexpensive tool:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEYQ8gIwBg#

You can then terminate the wire with clips or banana plugs, or just use the bare wire. There is no sonic advantage or disadvantage to clips or banana plugs; they just make the connections easier. They are available from Bluejeans cables:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm Or, you can buy pre-terminated cables, (terminated with either clips or banana plugs), custom built to your lengths, or in pre-configured lengths.

The subwoofer cable you should buy at the length you need. It should have rca plugs on each end:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/subwoofer/index.htm

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #21 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot craigjohn and all you other guys who helped me out,i just ordered my speaker cables from monoprice and am beggining to hook up my speaker system with my old wire for now,i'll let you guys know how it goes and keep you posted,again thanks to all.
post #22 of 25 Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

hey guys,got everything rolling and it sounds amazing and i havent even properly set up the speaker through the receiver settings yet.This system is awesome so far but the only thing i dont like is the subwoofer keeps sliding all over the floor on parts with lots of bass,it came with extra little things to put under the legs of the subwoofer but their glossy on the bottom so i think thats gonna make it worse,any suggestions?
post #23 of 25 Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

hey guys,just hooked up the 12awg speaker cables to the system and didnt really notice a big difference from the 18 awg cables,am i suppose to notice a big difference or is it only noticeable when connecting long 50 ft cables like someone else said on this forum?
post #24 of 25 Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It's not a big difference. But it also doesn't cost that much and is thus cheap peace of mind that your speaker cables aren't spoiling the investment in the speakers. :-)

-Max
post #25 of 25 Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thats a great way to put it max,thanks.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page