Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Anyone know what has happened to Infinity?

They haven't put out a real "higher-end" speaker line since the Interludes, and arguably the Kappas - that was 7-10 years ago...

There are only a handful of retail stores that carry Infinity anymore - there are none in my state or any bordering state.

Panasonic 65VT25 (09/17/10)
Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD blu-ray player
Infinity Interludes IL60, IL50, IL36C, IL10

"I see stoopid people..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pologuy View Post

Hi,

They haven't put out a real "higher-end" speaker line since the Interludes, and arguably the Kappas - that was 7-10 years ago...

There are only a handful of retail stores that carry Infinity anymore - there are none in my state or any bordering state.

Well, perhaps you haven't seen the new flagship Prelude Forty.
That's definitely a "higher end" speaker I would love to hear.
Still, Infinity has changed its marketing position/strategy, it seems, now that Revel is the top line at Harman. They now fill a narrow, competitive segment. But, by any measure, the Primus line has been a big success.

As for retail distribution, you are absolutely right. There are not many B&M dealers anymore (I have one local big box), and most people that buy Primus, or TSS speakers are doing so online. That's not really a bad thing, considering the retailers that would be carrying these models (if more did) would not have them set up with any care, and the in store "demo" would not be very helpful. Seriously, listening to speakers at Best Buy (including Magnolia) is close to worthless. Sure you can touch and feel, etc., but you can't rely on what you hear. In home is the best demo anyway.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you very much for your post!

I was not aware of the Infinity 40 - it is nowhere on Infinity's website, except for under the support document page - even though the link you provided shows a copyright of 2008?

Another link I found stated that they were supposed to start shipping in September/October of 2008...

And I can find it nowhere on the net for sale...

It looks like a cross between the two latest "high-end" Infinitys - the Interlude and the Kappa (and Cascade for the drivers) - VERY NICE...

I sure hope they are working on a complete series.

My god, is that a beautiful speaker!

Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR

post #4 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK....

Upon doing more research...

These speakers have an M.S.R.P. of $6000 EACH

I should have guessed by the use of the Prelude name...

Their enclosures are done by hand with six coats of lacquer on each.

There were supposedly a limited number of them made for Infinity's 40th anniversary...

Any other speakers in the pipeline at Infinity? lol

Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR

post #5 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi,

Whatever it is, the same thing happened to JBL, heh. They share the same parent company (Harman Intl) so I'm wondering if this is part of some larger strategy. It's sad to see brands like this disappear...
post #6 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 View Post

Whatever it is, the same thing happened to JBL, heh. They share the same parent company (Harman Intl) so I'm wondering if this is part of some larger strategy. It's sad to see brands like this disappear...

JBL still has some amazing flagship speakers, the K2's are some of my flat out favorite speakers ever and walked all over the Revel's at last years RMAF. IMHO of course.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #7 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

JBL still has some amazing flagship speakers, the K2's are some of my flat out favorite speakers ever and walked all over the Revel's at last years RMAF. IMHO of course.

Yeah they're still making great speakers but I was talking about being able to find them in retail stores. I'm in Florida and the nearest dealer to me is Fry's in Texas, haha.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Isn't Atlanta closer than Texas? They have two Fry's in the Atlanta area.

Still your point is well taken.

Afro GT
post #9 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's funny how JBL ranks among the top PA brands, but in HT, they're not too highly sought after. And Infinity, they pretty much fell off the map once Primus was released, even though it's been a strong seller for them.

YID DIY
post #10 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess the Prelude 40 has not been released yet...

I wonder what the hold up is?

It was scheduled to be released in Sept/Oct of 2008.

They found out that their radiator design isn't as good as they once thought?

Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR

post #11 of 21 Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Hi,

Not much available at Fry's in Burbank, CA, with their only offering being the P362's, lately on sale for $129 each. Then there is e-bay in which Harman Audio must have exhausted its higher end Infinity Cascade series (only Cascade 12s available) and those prices were pretty unbelievable or could be. There are always exceptions to what appear to be rock bottom e-bay prices, just go to Fry's for some unbelievable liquidation prices that are way below what Fry's had to pay for them. Granted you may have to take a demo but that comes with a full Infinity warranty. I would think that Infinity and Harman is gearing up for a new line of speakers after the Prelude 40's. Or maybe not.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, here is what I received from Infinity....

Hi,

I was wondering if Infinity had any "higher-end" speakers coming out anytime soon?

Hi,

I am so sorry to say we have nothing that will be hitting the markets for sometime. We appreciate your interest in supporting our brand and only wish we had something new and exciting to share with you at this time.

Hi:

When do you expect the Prelude 40 to come out?

Or did Infinity drop that speaker?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Hi,

Unfortunately the PRELUDE FORTY is not available in the USA and is being discontinued on the international market as well. I am sorry about that.

Hi,

Wow, ok.

Just a question- why would Infinity, as US company, make a speaker to commemorate its 40th anniversary and then not sell it in the US?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Unfortunately I don't have this answer. Simply put, the brand is in the process of re-evaluating its direction, and nothing new is hitting the market until they have made some decisions. My apologies for not having better news for you.

What a sad statement from a once great speaker company....

Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR

post #13 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 View Post

Some of the past Revel, JBL, and Infinity speakers appear to have shared the same 'insides' and (on occasion) even the same 'outsides' (with basically just a different logo applied). So, yes, I suspect we should just look at the overall/integrated HK 'speaker lines' strategy...

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #14 of 21 Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't have this answer. Simply put, the brand is in the process of re-evaluating its direction, and nothing new is hitting the market until they have made some decisions. My apologies for not having better news for you.

Ehh...That doesn't sound encouraging.

YID DIY
post #15 of 21 Old 07-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

Ehh...That doesn't sound encouraging.

Hello,

I just stumbled across this board while searching for JBL and Infinity home speakers (couldn't find much, so I searched "What happened to Infinity Speakers?" and ended up here).

I live in Northridge, CA, not far from Harmon's old JBL/Infinity/Revel design and manufacturing location on Balboa Blvd., in Northridge, CA.

The entire Harmon operation has been shut down there for over a year. I would suspect that any manufacturing of either of these brands would likely be happening overseas, if anywhere.

As an old JBL owner (D130, LE8), it's sad to see these brands go the way of the dodo bird.
post #16 of 21 Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I recently toured the Harman campus in Northridge, about two months ago. In fact, I just drove up there today to stop in at JBL Pro to pick something up. (The traffic was horrendous.)

It's true that all manufacturing has left the building as of June 30th. Mot of it went to the big Harman plant in Mexico; most of the rest was already in China.

There's still R&D going on in Northridge, but it's mostly an empty shell and very sad to see.

There were some Infinty models on display, and one model was used in the multi-listening lab in the double blind tests, revealed to us afterward, of course. I do not remember the model.

Most of the emphasis in the Infinity brand is going to automotive, which when combined with JBL, JBL Synthesis®, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Becker, and Harman automotive brands accounts for an overwhelming proportion of Harman's total income.

As for Infinity loudspeakers for the home, I believe it's been moved to Elkhart, Indiana, to the old Crown campus along with Harman's higher end stuff, like JBL Synthesis® for the home, Revel, Mark Levinson, and Lexicon.

In that competitive environment, I think there's a probability that Infinity's home loudspeaker days are coming to a close.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #17 of 21 Old 07-17-2010, 04:56 PM

This thread (5.0 upgrade - SVS vs Infinity Primus vs Energy http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1263338) mentions an upcoming Primus series, so maybe it's not all doom and gloom.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM

I've been looking at getting a pair of P152s or P142s for my rear L/R and just stumbled across a website that has them for $53 a pair.

Yea, I'm shocked. $53 each would be understandable, on a sale... but $53 for a PAIR? I seriously don't believe it, so I called them. Missed them by a few minutes. Sent an email. Waiting for the reply tomorrow. My bet is they're used or refurbished.

And yea, both the pair of 142s and 152s were $53. I dunno why one wouldn't be cheaper.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-17-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Most of the emphasis in the Infinity brand is going to automotive, which when combined with JBL, JBL Synthesis®, Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Becker, and Harman automotive brands accounts for an overwhelming proportion of Harman's total income.

I find this very surprising, as I thought the days of car audio were coming to a close as well. The audio in new cars seems to be integrated into other systems, with increasingly complex and/or unusually shaped controls. How can the aftermarket compete with that, as each vehicle will demand a unique headunit. And that is assuming that you can get an aftermarket unit to work with the rest of the car's systems (look at Ford's Sync, for example).

Up here in Canada, JBL is for all intents and purposes, gone completely. I found one local retailer that stocked virtually nothing, and would not bring anything in for me, unless I bought it first. In the end, I bought the entire JBL L-series line via eBay.

How does Harman expect to sell anything in North America, if they make buying their product almost impossible?
post #20 of 21 Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Hey I actually have a pair of prelude 40 tower still in packaging with factory warranty. I can no longer install them as the building projec i wason fell through. asking price is 5000$ save 1000$!!!
post #21 of 21 Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo1889 View Post

asking price is 5000$ save 1000$!!!

I transposed the numbers in my head thinking you were ASKING $1k.

YID DIY
Reply Speakers