Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron52101 View Post

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....mount/bookshel

Any thoughts on these?

I'd take a flyer on the Arcam Altos.

Maybe take a look at NHT Classic Two or Three. Usually well reviewed and nicely designed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would not get too wrapped up on the thought of getting used. There are some good deals used but they can be beat by a good deal on new.

For example I bought my energy rc-10s 3+ years ago for $600 and last week they were for sale around ~200. I thought they performed beyond there price when I bought them and if I were to put them up for sale would have asked for ~$400 if I didn't know what the sale prices had been lately.

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #33 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

I really like the NHT classic three. I love the 3 way design. But they are priced at $350 a speaker, so I think they're out of the question.
post #34 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

I found a pair of Pinnacle LS 650's for $238 on ebay, would anyone recommend these?
post #35 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I really like the NHT classic three. I love the 3 way design. But they are priced at $350 a speaker, so I think they're out of the question.

They are priced here for $245 each. Never had any dealings with Audiophile Liquidator. I think if you continue to search the used market, you'll likely find a pair near your budget.
post #36 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

They are priced here for $245 each. Never had any dealings with Audiophile Liquidator. I think if you continue to search the used market, you'll likely find a pair near your budget.

Just a heads-up, audiophileliquidator is disreputable, do a search on them if you are tempted use them.

Ron
post #37 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Even at $245 a speaker it's nearly double my budget so I think unless someone just wants to give them away I think they are out of my league.

How bout those Pinnacle LS 650's though? Anyone have any thoughts on them. I like them myself they have 3 drivers and are fairly nice looking, but I can't get any info on them at all. They look exactly like the BD650's which is odd but Pinnacle does have both listed on their site but the LS 650's are no longer up, you have to google them. Has anyone used Pinnacle speakers before? If I can get someone to recommend them I think I'd buy them.
post #38 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even at $245 a speaker it's nearly double my budget so I think unless someone just wants to give them away I think they are out of my league.

How bout those Pinnacle LS 650's though? Anyone have any thoughts on them. I like them myself they have 3 drivers and are fairly nice looking, but I can't get any info on them at all. They look exactly like the BD650's which is odd but Pinnacle does have both listed on their site but the LS 650's are no longer up, you have to google them. Has anyone used Pinnacle speakers before? If I can get someone to recommend them I think I'd buy them.

What speakers have you heard that you liked? What's your primary use going to be? All of the speakers in this thread do not sound alike, you should really be gearing toward your preference rather than how much $$$ you can save.

Personally, I'm most intrigued by those Arcam's, Wharfedales, and Epos, but I've heard them (granted, a long time ago in some cases).

Ron
post #39 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

What speakers have you heard that you liked? What's your primary use going to be? All of the speakers in this thread do not sound alike, you should really be gearing toward your preference rather than how much $$$ you can save.

Personally, I'm most intrigued by those Arcam's, Wharfedales, and Epos, but I've heard them (granted, a long time ago in some cases).

Ron

I don't have much experience just listening to speakers. I have a 5.1 Polk Monitor series surround sound setup at my house that I use for most my TV watching and some audio listening. So I can't really say I'm leaning towards any certain preference so much.

My primary use is going to split equally between music and movies.
post #40 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

EPOS - ELS-8 (DEMO) retails at $495; you can get them for $299pr.

Klipsch XB10 @ $249pr

Klipsch WB14 retails @at 599.98; on sale $299.88pr
post #41 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Anything at $300 is gonna be too much for me. $250 is at the way top so I'd only pay that much if im absolute that I want them. I'm keeping EPOS in mind.
post #42 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have much experience just listening to speakers. I have a 5.1 Polk Monitor series surround sound setup at my house that I use for most my TV watching and some audio listening. So I can't really say I'm leaning towards any certain preference so much.

My primary use is going to split equally between music and movies.

I'd recommend going out and listening to some speakers! Bring a cd with your own music with you, take notes on what you like and what you don't, also, listen outside your budget. Learn what you like, as a bonus, it's fun!

Ron
post #43 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I really would love to but I don't have any places near buy where I can test out such exotic speakers.
post #44 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I found a pair of Pinnacle LS 650's for $238 on ebay, would anyone recommend these?

Haven't heard those, but owned the Pinnacle BD500 for a very short time. I thought they were terrible... harsh treble, hollow mids, and felt very cheaply made (very lightweight cabinet).

It was one of those times I really regret buying unheard to audition a speaker... and I got them relatively cheap off ebay. Still, too a hit on resale, and didn't enjoy owning them one bit. Easily one of my least favorite speakers.
post #45 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ya I don't think I'd want the 500's they seem much lower end. The 650's do seem like a different animal all togehter though...3 drivers, bigger. I'll have to see
post #46 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya I don't think I'd want the 500's they seem much lower end. The 650's do seem like a different animal all togehter though...3 drivers, bigger. I'll have to see

Another suggestion, Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 or v3. Heard these some time ago (v3) and very nice as remembered. This listing is closed, but shows that they are within your budget. Not necessarily "mini" either at about 13 inches high.

Still intrigued by the Arcam mentioned earlier.
post #47 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt View Post

Another suggestion, Paradigm Mini Monitiors v2 or v3. Heard these some time ago (v3) and very nice as remembered. This listing is closed, but shows that they are within your budget. Not necessarily "mini" either at about 13 inches high.

Still intrigued by the Arcos mentioned earlier.

Arcos?
post #48 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Arcos?

The Arcam Altos. If you really can't go audition (which I don't believe btw, where are you?) then they are a really safe bet - just make sure you get a 4ohm capable power supply, which is easy.

In the unlikely event you didn't like them, you could flip them for minimal loss.

If I were you I'd flip a coin, heads Arcam, tails EPOS, both really good.

Ron
post #49 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Arcos?

Sorry, Arcam
post #50 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Arcam Altos. If you really can't go audition (which I don't believe btw, where are you?) then they are a really safe bet - just make sure you get a 4ohm capable power supply, which is easy.

In the unlikely event you didn't like them, you could flip them for minimal loss.

If I were you I'd flip a coin, heads Arcam, tails EPOS, both really good.

Ron

I live in a small town in Wisconsin, of about 3,000 people. 1.5 hours away is the largest city Eau Claire, about 60,000 people. They may have some types of hifi stores but I'm not sure if they will have the exact speakers I'm looking for.

I'll highly consider both the Arcam's and the EPOS, I'll look into both of them a little more extensivly.

I hanvn't given up on those Pinnacle's though, I just wish someone could give me some feedback on them. The one thing they do have is a 3 way driver system which is interesting. Not that I'm saying all 3 way speakers are better than 2's, but it does look good on paper.
post #51 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I live in a small town in Wisconsin, of about 3,000 people. 1.5 hours away is the largest city Eau Claire, about 60,000 people. They may have some types of hifi stores but I'm not sure if they will have the exact speakers I'm looking for.

I'll highly consider both the Arcam's and the EPOS, I'll look into both of them a little more extensivly.

I hanvn't given up on those Pinnacle's though, I just wish someone could give me some feedback on them. The one thing they do have is a 3 way driver system which is interesting. Not that I'm saying all 3 way speakers are better than 2's, but it does look good on paper.

At this price point it is more likely that a two way design will sound better if nothing else due to materials cost.

You got some feedback regarding Pinnacle, FWIW good speaker companies don't make bad speakers (HTIB excluded), the fact that it's hard to find info on them seems telling.

Ron
post #52 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

At this price point it is more likely that a two way design will sound better if nothing else due to materials cost.

You got some feedback regarding Pinnacle, FWIW good speaker companies don't make bad speakers (HTIB excluded), the fact that it's hard to find info on them seems telling.

Ron

Yes you make good points, though it might be noted that I did find some positve reviews of the same speakers alphaiii didn't like so it's not really definitively that they are bad, just that he didn't like them.
post #53 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes you make good points, though it might be noted that I did find some positve reviews of the same speakers alphaiii didn't like so it's not really definitively that they are bad, just that he didn't like them.

You had more luck with reviews than I did, I couldn't find anything, but I am multitasking...

Ron
post #54 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You had more luck with reviews than I did, I couldn't find anything, but I am multitasking...

Ron

I think you've talked me out of them. Your right they are too much of a risk. So I think its between the EPOS ELS-3 and the Arcam Altos.
post #55 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you've talked me out of them. Your right they are too much of a risk. So I think its between the EPOS ELS-3 and the Arcam Altos.

Somewhat easy choice between the two as one is front ported (Arcam Alto) while the other (EPOS ELS-3) is rear ported. This is a placement issue more so than performance.

Here is a simple explanation for the Speaker Guys:

Why do some bass-reflex speakers have a port on the rear panel while others have a port on the front baffle where the drivers are? And is the port location important?

Many smaller speakers use a rear port simply because there isn’t room on the front baffle. A designer might specify a woofer that’s comparatively large in relationship to the baffle dimensions. Other speakers use a tweeter with a large mounting plate for rigidity so even if the tweeter itself is small, the physical package it comes in isn’t. Still another reason for not having a front port may be bracing inside the enclosure that mounts exactly where the port would otherwise go.

A rear port solves these problems. There’s generally a lot more room to place the port as the only other element on most rear panels is the speaker wire terminals and they’re comparatively small.

From a performance perspective, there’s virtually no difference whatsoever between a front port and a rear port. The only thing you have to be careful about with a rear-ported speaker is placement. Don’t mount it flush against a wall or other solid surface. That will restrict the air flow in and out of the port and thus restrict bass response. (Without going into details, the woofer cone and port work together to bring you the bass you want.)

The solution is to leave enough room (about 6” will do nicely) between the rear panel of the speaker and the solid object behind it. That’ll allow free air movement through the port so you’ll get all the performance you’ve paid for.
post #56 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't think that will be a huge problem either way.

Also The EPOS ELS 8's are and improvement over the 3's so maybe they would be the better speaker.
post #57 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Yeah, it's certainly just my opinion when it comes to the BD500. I bought them as sort of an impulse buy since I had been looking for smaller speakers for my desktop, and happened to see them on ebay for a reasonable price. I found a few positive reviews floating around, so bought them to give them a try.

They weren't for me, but some others, including the individual who bought them from me, seem to really like them.

I will say though... while build quality is also subjective... The light weight of the speakers supports my opinion that, at least the cabinets, are cheaply constructed. While they have a piano black finish... They certainly don't have the heft or solid build (judging from the good old "knuckle rap test") of alot of other speakers I've tried with similar or smaller dimensions.

I have a very similar experience with the NHT SB1... I feel a better speaker than the BD500, and much better build quality... But despite many positive reviews and happy NHT owners... I really disliked them. Yet another speaker I bought at what I thought was a relatively cheap price... only to take a hit on resale since there just wasn't much of a market for them.

It's such a crapshoot buying speakers based on others opinions/reviews, since sound is so subjective. It's a good starting point... and helps compile a list of speakers to audition... but unless you have a very good handle on what's a good deal used, or good return policies on new stuff... you can end up eating more $$ than expected.

I've learned this the "hard" way... and would recommend anyone try to audition before buying unless you can return or are very confident you can resell them without taking a hit.
post #58 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also The EPOS ELS 8's are and improvement over the 3's so maybe they would be the better speaker.

I've only heard the 3's but I will say the reviews for the 3's are more impressive than the reviews for the 8's.

Ron
post #59 of 61 Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well I would think they would make a better speaker after all that time passing, not a worse one.
post #60 of 61 Old 07-15-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's official I bought a pair of EPOS ELS 3's. $200, now I need to get a sub. I was thinking about getting The EPOS ELS Sub, does anyone know where you can get one cheap?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page