Need advice on building a system??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Wondering if you guys had any advice to help me build a home theater system.

Here is what i have so far. I picked up a Yamaha RX-V467 receiver. I have two sets of Bose Acoustimass 5 serious II speakers that i got for free from my girls dad. I hooked up the front speakers through the acoustimass module and the surround speakers directly into the receiver.

I still need a center channel speaker and probably a good subwoofer since the acoustimass module is not powered and doesnt seem very bassy.

Any ideas?

I was thinking about picking up a whole new Bose Acoustimass 10 IV speaker system, but after reading some of the posts on here, not sure if i still wanna do it. However i got a $525 gift card to best buy from my work and would only be paying $475 plus tax for the $1000 system. What do you think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I would read a few of the dozens of Bose threads. There is a current one on this page. I would buy ANYTHING except Bose. I would take the two systems you were given and SELL them. Bose has one thing going for it and that is resale value. Since most Bose owners/buyers are uniformed and believe their advertising, they will think they are getting a deal over buying new.

Hopefully you have a Magnolia HT in your Best Buy. I would check out the Definitive Technology 5.1 systems, Klipsch, Polk, Mirage, etc.

You can do far better than Bose for $1000. Far better.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim_mu View Post

I was thinking about picking up a whole new Bose Acoustimass 10 IV speaker system, but after reading some of the posts on here, not sure if i still wanna do it. However i got a $525 gift card to best buy from my work and would only be paying $475 plus tax for the $1000 system. What do you think?

Thanks!

Personally I would go with the Definitive technology pro 800! Or you could buy a sick 3.1 set-up and use your current Bose speakers as rear surrounds

If you want small speakers look at Mirage stuff. Take your time and demo everything and you will end up with a better sounding system.

Polk rm95 with a 2-$300 decent woofer and you will blow the bose away
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page