Speakers vs. sound bar for home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help with speakers. I'm new to all of this but learned a lot from reading this forum. I recently moved and am using part of the proceeds from the sale of my home to build my first real (not HTIB) home theater. I have a Sony Bravia 47 TV, a PS3, and an Onkyo TX-SR707 AV receiver that I found through Great Found Deals on this website.

I intended to mount bookshelf speakers on either side of the TV, but discovered there is no room to do so. I don't really have adequate room for floor-stand speakers. I was thinking of getting a sound bar which, if I understand correctly, would replace the left/center/right speakers. I read about LCR sound bars in Home Theater magazine, but again, I'm new at this and just learning.

I bought the Samsung HT-WS1G with wireless subwoofer and I haven't opened the box yet. After reading more on this site and doing a little research, I'm starting to think it was a bad decision. If I understand correctly, a sound bar is not what I need if I intend to use an AV receiver. Is this correct?

Is the sound bar a poor decision? Are there other options? I'm getting down to the end of my system budget and don't have a lot of cash left for expensive options.

I do intend to buy ceiling-mount surround speakers. I'm thinking about 6-1/2 Inches Kevlar 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers (first post won't let me insert a URL yet but I found them on monoprice).

Thoughts? Recommendations? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you have a budget in mind for the front speakers or a nice soundbar?

These are a very nice alternative to a soundbar and bookshelf speakers:
http://www.artisonusa.com/artison_007.htm
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 232
If you could give more details about the layout of your room (or provide pictures), that would be helpful.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

If you could give more details about the layout of your room (or provide pictures), that would be helpful.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight.

The TV is mounted on a wall that, for aesthetic purposes, causes the TV to be mounted only 1" from a closet doorframe. This is the only way to center it over the cabinet for the components. Otherwise the TV would be left of the cabinet and look goofy (wife won't go for it).
post #5 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerwolf View Post

I'll try to get some pictures tonight.

The TV is mounted on a wall that, for aesthetic purposes, causes the TV to be mounted only 1" from a closet doorframe. This is the only way to center it over the cabinet for the components. Otherwise the TV would be left of the cabinet and look goofy (wife won't go for it).

This is the only wall you could use for the TV? If you're looking for a true "home theater" experience (and it sounds like you are), I don't think you'd be happy with a soundbar.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In that case, you may have to go with a soundbar since there isn't much room on one side of the TV.

Depending on your budget, here are some very nice soundbars:

http://www.artisonusa.com/products-soundbar.htm

http://www.leonspeakers.com/hz.html

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/de...asp?NodeId=116

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=57
post #7 of 13 Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

So for a true home theater experience I should find a way to mount/use speakers. Otherwise, for space-limitations, I can use a sound bar. Right?

Can I use a sound bar with the 7.1 AV receiver?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I returned the sound bar and ordered the Polk RM705 speaker system. If I move the TV over a bit, I can fit the small front speakers with only a little aesthetic compromise.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Cancel the order and get these jamos for $200 shipped http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #10 of 13 Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio View Post

Cancel the order and get these jamos for $200 shipped http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

I looked at those, but did some research here and at HomeTheaterShack.com and determined the Polks are better (and only $244 on Amazon). Why do you say different?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I looked at those, but did some research here and at HomeTheaterShack.com and determined the Polks are better (and only $244 on Amazon). Why do you say different?

The guy is a convicted Polk hater and hates all polks no matter what. He had a problem with one certain speaker line of polks, the RTi for being too bright for his ears and he is convinced the problem extends to other lines but it doesn't

You'll be happy with the Polk RM705 package, they are a great small speaker package. Personally I perfered the Polk RM6750 5.1 when I demo'd them side by side so in my limited budget set-up I choose the RM6750

Whats the size of your room again?
post #12 of 13 Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

The guy is a convicted Polk hater and hates all polks no matter what. He had a problem with one certain speaker line of polks, the RTi for being too bright for his ears and he is convinced the problem extends to other lines but it doesn't

You'll be happy with the Polk RM705 package, they are a great small speaker package. Personally I perfered the Polk RM6750 5.1 when I demo'd them side by side so in my limited budget set-up I choose the RM6750

Whats the size of your room again?

I looked at the RM6750 and only went with the RM750 because the former is discontinued...and I kinda prefer the looks of the RM750.

I haven't measured the room - it's small though - probably 12' X 14' although there are three doorways and a window into the kitchen so the acoustics aren't ideal.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

I looked at the RM6750 and only went with the RM750 because the former is discontinued...and I kinda prefer the looks of the RM750.

I haven't measured the room - it's small though - probably 12' X 14' although there are three doorways and a window into the kitchen so the acoustics aren't ideal.

it should be fine. my 13.5' x 14.75' living room is completely open on one side and the RM6750 works out great. I went with it cause it had bigger midrange drivers than the 705. Though discountinued you can still buy extra satelites or centers with the RM6750
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page