Monitors for Music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey,
I'm going off to college and wanted to get some speakers for my pc/tv/ipod. I don't want to just buy some logitechs or w/e and wanted to try and get something of better quality.

My two ideas were to either go with studio monitors like the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40s and then possibly save up and get a subwoofer later. Would I be able to add something like the Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer into the system with the AV40s?

My other idea was to get a 400 Watt 10 inch PA/DJ speaker from MCM Electronics and a 15w x 2 channel amplifier.

I'd give links to all these but since I don't have enough posts I can't post urls.

Would I be able to add that sub to the AV40s?
Would the amp with the DJ/PA speaker sound good?

Which option is my best bet?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I would not recommend the PSW10, it was made for a price point and is not well liked at all. A small Energy or Infinity sub would work well.

Why not consider some decent music speakers like the Polk Monitor 30 bookshelf speakers or the Infinity Primus P152 bookshelf units. The idea of a small "T" amp is a good one. Make sure your TV has either audio out RCA connections or a headphone output that can be used as a "line out" source for the T-amp. The PC and iPod will have a line out by default.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
^ +1, I just upgraded from Logitechs to a Yamaha Receiver w/ Polk Monitor 30s and a PSW10 (got it cheap on craigslist and in an apartment, there are better choices). And I have been quite impressed with the setup. I feel going this route gives you more options, and you can actually do it cheaper than some of the powered monitors. One thing too with powered monitors, is unless you are going to spend >$200, you are going to be making sacrifices.

You could go with an amp like this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-380 And then you have numerous options for bookshelf speakers. Those Primus mentioned above would be a good choice, another good option is the Jamo 403.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #4 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yea the more research I've done the more I'm leaning toward the HT speakers.
So if I get an amp like the one linked I would be able to plug that into my laptop, ipod, or tv using the audio input?

How many watts for an amp is needed if I wanted to add a sub later on?
post #5 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Yes you could, you dont need many watts at all because you will be doing nearfield listening. For a sub, you would need to connect it to the speakers using the speaker-level connections. Some small amps do have line-level connections for subs, but they are going to be $100 minimum.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #6 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

If you are off campus and really want to rock look at used vintage Cerwin Vegas or JBL. With these you might not need a sub. Having to replace the surround foam on the individual speaker cones is always a issue tho when looking at used vintage speakers.

Polk SL2000WC $3 DIY mod. Smaller the uf, the less harsh your SL2000 is.
1. SRS: .47 uf/250v mylar cap top SL2000, 1.0 2nd, 1.0 3rd, .47 bottom
2. 2.3: 1.0 middle
3. 1C: 1.0 top
4. 2B: 1.0
post #7 of 7 Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so depending on how much I'm going to spend, i may either just get a pair of Sony SSB300s for like $70 off TigerDirect or a pair of Polk Monitor 30s from newegg for $85.

Which would be better overall and deliver the best bass since I would not be able to add a sub at this time?

My other idea was to get one Polk Monitor 50 from newegg for $99.99, hopefully getting another later on.

My main concern is also that I'd probably have to skimp on the amplifier to so would one of those cheap pyle or dayton amps work? I know the speakers are 8ohm and the amps are 4ohm so i'm guessing that means they wouldnt work?

Thanks
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page