Clanking sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
I have the SKS-HT870 7.1 speaker system, have owned it since this last March. Just recently, my sub has started making a clanking sound when the speaker is active, almost as if something is attached to the diaphram and banging against something. I rotated the sub and there's nothing physically loose rattling around inside from what I can tell.

Does this sound familiar to anyone????

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 633
It sounds like it's bottoming out. How high is the gain turned? Is it all the way up? What is the LFE channel level? You need to turn it down, that bottoming out can destroy your sub. If you wan more bass, get a better subwoofer.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

It sounds like it's bottoming out. How high is the gain turned? Is it all the way up? What is the LFE channel level? You need to turn it down, that bottoming out can destroy your sub. If you wan more bass, get a better subwoofer.

Interesting guess. It will "clang" at half volume.

Any other ideas?

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 633
It could be that the amp is damaged and is sending out too much current, so it doesn't matter where your gain is set, it's still acting like it's at max volume anyway.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sub is still under warranty and has been sent in. I'll post results.

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, remember this post??? I got my sub checked out under warranty, the guy on the phone tells me the work report read: "Removed all labels and tags". I'm like, labels and tags?????? The guy checks with the tech and the dude says yeah, the tech found Borders books gift cards and others goodies inside my sub and then asked me if I had any little people in my home, the image of my two year old daughter pointing into the port of my sub and talking in her special two year old language and me saying, yes, that's papa's sub, popped into my head, I said yeah, I've got little people, thanks.

They did the work no charge, bonus. Be ware of the little people.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Okay, remember this post??? I got my sub checked out under warranty, the guy on the phone tells me the work report read: "Removed all labels and tags". I'm like, labels and tags?????? The guy checks with the tech and the dude says yeah, the tech found Borders books gift cards and others goodies inside my sub and then asked me if I had any little people in my home, the image of my two year old daughter pointing into the port of my sub and talking in her special two year old language and me saying, yes, that's papa's sub, popped into my head, I said yeah, I've got little people, thanks.

Update********My sub is working perfectly with my Energy sub. Back to sonic booms as usual.

Thanks all for the support, thank God I don't have to replace my amp for sending too much currant or upgrade to a better sub, especially since this one is working perfectly.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Bwaaa ha ha ha ha! That reminds me of the (Mastercard?) credit card commercial where the guy shows his toddler son that the VCR needs to "eat" VCR tapes to play, so the kid feeds it a peanut butter sandwich when no-ones looking. (Gist of commercial is the damage is covered by Mastercard or whoever.)

Hmm, my dogs are not ones for hiding things or similar behavior, and fortunately my SW is a sealed design. Still, might want to keep an eye on them...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.