post #1 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, Here is what I have:

Samsung PN63C8000 63" Plasma
Denon AVR-791 Receiver
Polk Monitor 60B Series II Towers (purchased from Newegg)
Bic America F-12 Sub. (on backorder)

What I need help on is the Center Channel and Rears.
I notice that Newegg has CS1 & CS1B and CS2 and CS2B, my questions are #1 is the only difference with the "B" the look of the casing? and #2 If im not a huge audio person will I notice the difference between the CS1 and CS2?

For the rears I am still debating between the Polk Monitor 30B and the Sattelitte RM7/RM8 (I like these cause they are not as bulky) Being rears I have been told it really wont make much of a difference because not that much sound comes out.

Also, Cables....I have heard monoprice is the place to go. Any recommendations on which cables?

My living room is 20x16 and the ceilings are pretty high (about 11 feet)
I will be using everything for 80% movies/TV and 20% music.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
the "B" usually means black veneer. The Polk CS1 is what polk recommends for the Monitor 50 and Monitor 60 towers. The CS2 is recommended for the larger Monitor 70 towers. However, a lot of forum members have worked with both and like the CS2 better, regardless of which Monitors are used for the L & R. For your large room the CS2 would probably work better, but it is a large speaker enclosure - so make sure it will fit your setup.

as surrounds, the Monitor 30's would be better for the "music" part of your listening.

Yes, Monoprice is the place to get wiring and interconnect cables. I have used quite a bit of their stuff, both for work and family. Excellent quality and the prices are outstanding.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
^^beat me to the punch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravenuts View Post

#1 is the only difference with the "B" the look of the casing?

I believe so

Quote:

#2 If im not a huge audio person will I notice the difference between the CS1 and CS2?

No you wont notice a huge difference so get whatever the budget allows

Quote:

For the rears I am still debating between the Polk Monitor 30B and the Sattelitte RM7/RM8 (I like these cause they are not as bulky) Being rears I have been told it really wont make much of a difference because not that much sound comes out.

Get whatever works best for your rears looks & spacing wise, personally would go with the 30's but thats just my personal taste

Quote:

Also, Cables....I have heard monoprice is the place to go. Any recommendations on which cables?

Personally recommend 14 guage wire, dont know how much you need. Personally I ordered 300 feet cause at $78 why the hell not lol....

Also recommend checking out bannana plugs for the connections at both your reciever and speaker. It makes connecting them easy and moving/disconnecting a breeze! I would stay away from the ones where it is one piece, (like this)

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #4 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice!

I think I am going with the CS1 over the CS2 more based on the size of the center channel then the price.

I was just thinking the rears might sound better with the Monitor 30s for music then the smaller speakers. (RM7).

Anything else I need to think about?

I am still looking for the "perfect media console" My wall in the living room is about 150 inches long so I have a lot of space to fill. I am going to mount the Samsung with the Slim Mount and will do a media console under it. It is pretty hard to find nice 75-80" stands. Any Ideas??

Thanks again
post #5 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 271
http://www.standsandmounts.com/

I would recommend getting the CS2, the center is one place you dont want to skimp on. If you are buying an AV stand then it will have space for a large center, most people just put them on top anyway so that its the proper height.

+1 to the monitor 30s.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #6 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Monoprice and purchased the speaker wire. Im still leaning toward the CS1 because of the size. Most of the media consoles I have seen will not hold the CS2.

Also the CS1 is only $69.99 on newegg while the matching CS1B is $129.99 The CS1B matches my Monitor 60B towers I just bought but I guess either will work...

For the Rears the RM8's seem to be a fair compromise between the RM7 and Monitor 30 and still keep the smaller size. My ceilings are about 11 feet high and not sure exactly the best location to mount these...Any Ideas?
post #7 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:

I went to Monoprice and purchased the speaker wire. Im still leaning toward the CS1 because of the size. Most of the media consoles I have seen will not hold the CS2.

Also the CS1 is only $69.99 on newegg while the matching CS1B is $129.99 The CS1B matches my Monitor 60B towers I just bought but I guess either will work...

For the Rears the RM8's seem to be a fair compromise between the RM7 and Monitor 30 and still keep the smaller size. My ceilings are about 11 feet high and not sure exactly the best location to mount these...Any Ideas?

The Monitor 30's can be used in conjunction with a set of Pinpoint AM40 wallmounts, not sure about the RM8's....I dont think they are square if memory serves correctly....

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #8 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM

I just bought the CS1 from NewEgg.. if I understand correctly, Polk made a second series of the Monitor line just for NewEgg, which is why two seemingly identical speakers may be priced differently...

just my two cents.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 348
The only difference I can tell from previous models and the 2010 models is that the old Monitor speakers have a silver front baffle when you take off the grille and the 2010 models have a back front baffle.

Oh, and the 2010 models cost a lot more.

Afro GT
post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, from what I can see they are just a given a slight face lift for 2010 and nice price lift.

Has anyone had a chance to hear the Polk RM7 and RM8 speakers? The RM8's are about $50 per speaker more and wondering if there is any real difference in the sound. They will be used for rears and mounted.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page