Connecting computer speakers to LCD TV: Volume Control - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a KDL40S504 LCD TV.

Naturally the TV speakers sound bad so I am trying to connect external speakers to the TV.

I cannot buy an amplifier or a receiver right now so I decided to connect my powered computer speakers JBL Creature II to the TV.

The TV has a FIXED audio out at the back so I am unable to control the volume of the speakers using the TV's remote. In the TV's menu there is no option to make the output sound as VARIABLE.

The TV does not have a headphone jack.

In the height of desperation to control the TV's volume through the remote, I connected the TV's sound output to the microphone input of a laptop (DELL Inspiron E1505) that has windows media center with remote. Then I connected the computer speakers to the laptop. This connection allowed me to control the volume through windows media center remote but the sound quality was horrible to say the least.

The TV is also connected to a cable box and a blu-ray player besides the laptop.

As told earlier I am not able to buy an amp/receiver right now due to financial constrains, is there any other solution to control the computer speaker's volume through remote?

Any help/advice is highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If you can see where the speaker wires connect into the electrical chassis of the tv look for RCA connections to the speakers. Also look at the back of the speakers for this type of connection. You might be able to tap the Creature leads into the speaker connections at some point. If you can do this make sure the tv volume is at its lowest. You won't need much tv volume to overwhelm the Creature as the signal will be one amplified for speakers and not a preamp signal.
Many manufacturers now use RCA connections for the speakers to ease servicing - and some require it to remove the video panel from the base that houses the speakers. My Vizio is one.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #3 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Do you imply that I need to open the back panel of the TV to connect the external speakers? This TV's speakers are connected internally into the TV.
I do not want to open the back panel as It'll void the warranty.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Your only other option is to connect the Creature to the fixed output and get up to adjust the volume.

I have a Creature too - I use it in the garage with a little Sony Walkman tapedeck for tunes while I'm in there working. Sounds pretty good - better than those Sony TV speakers I'd bet.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
If you can afford $80 to $100 you might take a look at an inexpensive soundbar. Much better sound than the internal speakers and usually can be set to work with a learning remote if your TV comes with one.

I am using last year's Vizio which is good on voices and has good dynamics. Not really Hi-Fi, but neither are your JBL's. Much better than the speakers on my $2200 TV.

David Freeman
post #6 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's what I'm doing right now- connected creature to the FIXED output of the TV but that doesn't solve my problem of using the remote to change volume. I have to get up all the time to change the volume of the creature.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

If you can afford $80 to $100 you might take a look at an inexpensive soundbar. Much better sound than the internal speakers and usually can be set to work with a learning remote if your TV comes with one.

I am using last year's Vizio which is good on voices and has good dynamics. Not really Hi-Fi, but neither are your JBL's. Much better than the speakers on my $2200 TV.

Thanks. I thought of buying a soundbar. But with my present economic situation It'll take me 2 months
post #8 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Many computer speakers have their only volume control on the speakers themselves or on a separate module that still is connected to the speaker. These would not work with your remote. All soundbars that I have seen have their own remote which means you wouldn't need to get up to adjust the volume and in a best case scenario could be programmed to work with your TV's remote or a universal learning remote.

David Freeman
post #9 of 17 Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I agree. The only solution I thought was to connect the TV Fixed output to the microphone input of a computer and then connect the computer speakers to the computer. Then I can use the computer's remote to change the volume.

The problem I'm facing in this setup is that the sound output is terrible. Don't know why.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I solved the problem. The loopback microphone connection was giving out horrible sound because the microphone gain and volume were more than 0. After I set it to 0 the sound is as sweet as it can get.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 AM

get a universal ipod dock from the apple store (comes with remote)
get a iPod input converter to regular MP3 plug (iPod female to 3.5mm plug cable) 4FT(Cable-C-IPD2JK) from gromaudio.com.
connect the 3.5 mm plug to your tv, plug in the femal ipod connector to the ipod dock.
Plug your computer speakers into the ipod dock and set them to midlevel.
You now have a remote control volume out for your TV.. and you can progarm this into your Harmony remote if you have one!
post #12 of 17 Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've tried the Grom audio solution with the dock, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Can you enlighten me what I need to do? Here's what I'm doing:
  • Samsung TV fixed audio output to Grom cable
  • Grom cable into the dock (Apple A1153)
  • Apple FireWire Power Supply and dock cable to back or an iPhone power supply with USB cable
  • Dock line-out to Paradigm Shift A2 speakers
I get no sound out.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Get cheapest headphone amp you can find, and use it as volume control, by connecting it between TV and speakers. There are many very small in size, if this is important to you.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Get cheapest headphone amp you can find, and use it as volume control, by connecting it between TV and speakers. There are many very small in size, if this is important to you.

That seems reasonable (though I'd like to make what I own work if possible). Do you know of any cheap headphone amps with a remote? Wouldn't I get too much power to the powered speakers? What I really need is a preamp I suppose
post #15 of 17 Old 09-30-2012, 11:01 PM

get a iPod input converter to regular MP3 plug (iPod female to 3.5mm plug cable) 4FT(Cable-C-IPD2JK) from gromaudio.com.
connect the 3.5 mm plug to your tv, plug in the femal ipod connector to the ipod dock.
You now have a remote control volume out for your TV.. and you can progarm this into your Harmony remote if you have one!

did you actually get this to work?
I was curious if the remote moves the audio level of the iPod and as such won't work for a TV
post #16 of 17 Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lblock45 View Post

Will this actually work to regulate the speakers volume? Or would it only adjust the volume of an ipod/iphone?
post #17 of 17 Old 03-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Liked: 11
The iDock hack does not actually work. Instead:
Powered/Active 2.1 speaker system with wireless remote: Altec Lansing PT6021 http://r.ebay.com/Br4ssz

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2a

Hope that helps,
John
Reply Speakers