Speakers+sub for around $1k (Canadian) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a noob here looking for advice...(yes, another one of them)

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver, and a sharp aquos 60in lcd. Having moved into my own place, I thought maybe I can finally grab a decent set of speakers to go with my receiver.
The set would be for my basement. The theater area is about 19' x 13', but has walls on only 2 sides. A 5.1 setup would be ideal, but I wouldn't hesitate to go 7.1 if the difference is worth it. And since the room is fairly large, a satellite/bookshelf system is out of the question.
I was under the impression that it was Bose or nothing for speakers, but that changed when I heard a Klipsch set absolutely crush the lifestyle v20 set (both were out of my price range, though).
So basically, I just want a set of nice sounding speakers (+ a sub) for around CAN$1000. I also like to see and hear before I buy, so I'm hesitant to buy online.
Any recommendations, guys/girls of AVS Forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
1pr PSB Alpha B1
1pr PSB Alpha LR
1ea PSB Alpha C1
1ea PSB SubSeries 5i

Above sells in the US for a little over $1K. It's a Canadian company, so it may go for less up there.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

1pr PSB Alpha B1
1pr PSB Alpha LR
1ea PSB Alpha C1
1ea PSB SubSeries 5i

Above sells in the US for a little over $1K. It's a Canadian company, so it may go for less up there.

On the contrary most of Canadian stuff is more expensive here. Only Exception I can think of is Axiom Audio which sells their speaker at par in Canada. But the taxes even it out. I would suggest looking at their systems. Or if you are lucky u might get a deal from BB or FS when they have their speaker combos on sale. I have seen Klipsch and Boston Accoustics Combo for prices around that bench mark.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Unfortunately its $1600 (w/ some haggling) up here in Canada. Makes you wonder why thse Canadian brands (energy, paradigm, psb) are a lot cheaper in the states than they are at home...

And do you know where i can find Axiom speakers in Canada? Are they any good?
post #5 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

And do you know where i can find Axiom speakers in Canada? Are they any good?[/quote]

Axiom Audio sells online only as they have a direct sales approach and apparently you get more value for money. Google it and you can't miss it.
These are very well reviewed speakers and you have a 30 day no questions asked warranty. This forum is full of praise and reviews for their system so you can pick and choose the one that fits your budget. Other choice is get SVS as they do have a local store in Markham.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 08:58 AM

Where in canada are you?

Trevor
post #7 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

i live just outside edmonton, alberta. well it looks like axioms out of the question, since their lowest end tower speakers cover more than half my budget .
I was wondering this about 2-3 way speakers: I know that a 2way has woofer and tweeter drivers, whereas the 3way has the added midrange. Since 3way towers and a 3way center channel setup is likely out of my price range, whats better, 2way towers with a 3way center, or 3way towers w/ 2way center (let's assume that its the same speaker brand line in both cases).
I ask this because I'm considering an Infinity Primus set that has 3way towers and a 2way center (fits nicely into my budget)
Thx for the help
post #8 of 17 Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Lookee!!!! Energy Encore System

Ronn
post #9 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Nice find Ron. The only thing is I'm not looking for a bookshelf/satellite system, since the ht area is pretty big.
Are there any lesser known brands that aren't just online?
post #10 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM

Thats funny that you say that, because I just saw this the other day.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...y&thread=12516

You could go listen to them atleast and see what you think. Maybe even work him down on price or to part it out.

Trevor
post #11 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't realize you were looking a tower combo. I suggest keeping an eye out for BB and FS sales or if you don't mind shopping across the border online. Try Acessories4less you might be able to squeeze a Tower and surround combo for under 1K from either a KEF or Canton (both great speaker co's)
post #12 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

I happEned to test out those Axioms. They were a little too harsh on my ears, so I think I'll pass. I guess I could just buy piece by piece as good deals come around. There's no rush here .
P.S. I just want to repost my earlier question (couldnt really find a definitive answer in the forums): whats better? (1) a 2 way center with 3 way L/R towers, or (2) a 3 way center with 2 way L/R towers (assume the same speaker brand/line in both cases)?
Thanks
post #13 of 17 Old 08-15-2010, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowns_finest View Post

I happEned to test out those Axioms. They were a little too harsh on my ears, so I think I'll pass. I guess I could just buy piece by piece as good deals come around. There's no rush here .
P.S. I just want to repost my earlier question (couldnt really find a definitive answer in the forums): whats better? (1) a 2 way center with 3 way L/R towers, or (2) a 3 way center with 2 way L/R towers (assume the same speaker brand/line in both cases)?
Thanks

Like most things it really depends. First matching the center 2 or 3 way to R L is not really a factor. 2 or 3 way really depends on quality of the speaker. A good two way will be better than lower quality 3 way. I have a three way center but don't think it is a huge deal and the complexity of designing a 3way center usually means a high price based more on engeneering then sound quality.

Out of your options I think going 2way center with 3 way towers is the way to go.

My review comparisons of Energy RC-70s to Veritas V6.3 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21199418
post #14 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
post #15 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the heads up, thats actually a really good site! Wow those are great deals...so whats better then: psb image or energy cc?
As for the 2 vs 3 way thing, we are assuming that both cases are the same brand (to eliminate differences in quality). Anyways it looks like having two 3 way speakers is better than just one.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etowns_finest View Post

I'm a noob here looking for advice...(yes, another one of them)

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver, and a sharp aquos 60in lcd. Having moved into my own place, I thought maybe I can finally grab a decent set of speakers to go with my receiver.
The set would be for my basement. The theater area is about 19' x 13', but has walls on only 2 sides. A 5.1 setup would be ideal, but I wouldn't hesitate to go 7.1 if the difference is worth it. And since the room is fairly large, a satellite/bookshelf system is out of the question.
I was under the impression that it was Bose or nothing for speakers, but that changed when I heard a Klipsch set absolutely crush the lifestyle v20 set (both were out of my price range, though).
So basically, I just want a set of nice sounding speakers (+ a sub) for around CAN$1000. I also like to see and hear before I buy, so I'm hesitant to buy online.
Any recommendations, guys/girls of AVS Forum?

I've never actually heard these things, but have read some nice things about Mordaunt....I'd go look at these:
Mordaunt Short theatre setup: $590
or these:
Soundstage 5.1 + Amp setup: $800 obo

I'm a big PSB fan, but I think the Image setup on Canuck AudioMart is a bit too steep. There seems to be good used speakers being sold in Edmonton, I'd look there before new, just make sure you can demo the gear before you buy any of it.

THC
post #17 of 17 Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 AM

you could always try sony speakers, they arent the greatest speakers in the world, but they are cheap and get the job done well. you could do towers all around and get a center. for f7000s all around in 7.1 and a center it would be around 800 usd, so its gotta be close right?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page