Which Desktop stereo speaker to get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-21-2010, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
Apologies if there is a similar thread already existing here. I'm planning to buy a pair of stereo speaker for my PC. After a little bit of googling, the search narrowed me down to M-Audio AV40 and Audioengine A2. Though Audioengine A5 also seem to be a good option but it's crossing my budget.

I am getting both of them (AV 40 and A2) for around the same price in my area. Primarily, I would be using them to listen to my mp3 music collection and to watch movies on my PC.

I remember reading in some reviews that A2s have a tendency for the mids to be a little thick at times. Is it something to be worried about?
Also a loudness comparison between AV 40 and A2 would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody??
post #3 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I amn not a fan of standard computer speakers at all (very tinny sounding) I actually found a great pair of powered monitors at a pawn shop (cost was 80.00 total) and they are great. Company I never even heard of, but figured I'll give em a try and they sound awesome for all sources (games, music, movies) They were designed for nearfield listening or far away (I chose nearfield) but if you can find a great buy on powered monitors (Guitar Centers sell em, but check your local pawn shops and maybe you'll luck out. Mine are the size of bookshelves, with 6.5: mid range and 1" tweets and amp built right into the vack with a vented port. I had to buy a midi to stereo RCA plug at Radio shack (cost was about 3.00) plugged the midi into my computers L/R midi plug and the RCA into the monitors and the sound blows away my previous computer sub and computer speaker setup.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
shubham.srmcem -- If your budget is really low, a pair of Altec-Lansing BXR1120 speakers are really good: http://www.alteclansing.com/bxr1120-...-speakers.html. I bought a set (pair), for use with a PC, from my local office supply store. They sound surprisingly good, better than 2 small, low cost, speakers should.

The Logitech Z130 stereo speakers (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...s/devices/6684) are a little more expensive, but are good too. They should be available at your local computer store or Best Buy. They may not be quite as good as the cheaper BXR1120, IMHO.

The M-Audio AV40 speakers are a very good choice (I just looked them up). They make very good audio products. I did notice that you are looking at a much higher price than I thought (since you didn't say what your budget was). I, also, looked up the Audioengine 5 (A5), and those look very good too.

You should also look into the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system (less money than the M-Audio AV40s, at least the list price is). The ProMedia includes a subwoofer, which really makes a difference. I have the much older ProMedia 4.1, surround, system and it really rocks (it was rated as the best of all the PC speakers). At close range, it sounds as good as my main 5.1 channel surround sound system. The ProMedia speakers should be available from your local Best Buy, or you can buy it direct from Klipsch.

In terms of list price, the choices look like:
1) Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
2) M-Audio AV40
3) Audioengine 5 (A5)

All of those should do the job you require. The Audioengine looks like the best one (from a specification point of view). If you can, you need to listen to them, before you decide.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #5 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have the a2. I love them. They are a great little speaker. If there is someone local that sells them, go audition them. They come with a three year warranty. I was space limited and they fit the bill nicely. My wife has here treadmill in the office (small bedroom) and they fill up the room nicely. The a5 would be too much.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 11:08 AM

I think I considered the A2 and the AV40 a couple years ago when I was looking. I ended up getting some Swans and love them.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...products_id/80
post #7 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I reread the Audioengine A5 info again. It looks like it is actually a self powered near-field monitor speaker. It should (?) be the best choice for shubham.srmcem's application.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #8 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubham.srmcem View Post

Anybody??

If you search this forum for audioengine you'll find more opinions
post #9 of 10 Old 08-22-2010, 01:03 PM

I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but I am using the Swans M200 Mk2 ($259 at the Audio Insider). These are excellent desktop speakers. Before these I had the M-Audio AV-40's and while they are decent, there is no comparison. The Swans are miles above the M-Audio speakers. The AV-40's sound like better computer desktop speakers but the M200's sound like true hi-fi speakers. The only thing they are lacking is low bass, but that's to be expected from a speaker of this size/type. Other than that, the mids and upper ranges can compete with true hi-fi speakers very favorably. Not a trace of harshness, very well balanced.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-28-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your response. Swan's are a bit tricky to find in my area, so off the list. However, I did find a good thread comparing AV40 with AE2. Link below in case anyone is following this post (replace '@' with '.', as I'm not allowed to post a link being a newbie here..
www@head-fi@org/forum/thread/438032/m-audio-av-40-and-audioengine-2-brief-comparison
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page