Budget 5.1 Computer System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking into buying a 5.1 sound system for my bedroom for mainly for listening to music. I listen to music about all day almost. Right now I have 2.0 bookshelf speakers and they sound good, but take up room and there isn't a ton of bass either.

So I thought about maybe i'll just get a 5.1 and put each speaker in each corner of my room, only 4 walls in my room and it's only 11x11 feet so it's not like super big and I think it would sound find for music, and i'll put the center speaker in center between the 2 front speakers. It would be fine for me and it would good and it would keep speakers off my desk allowing for more room for additional monitors.

But the problem I am having is I just don't have lots of money, I think my budget would be around 200 dollars, less if possible.

I would to be able to use my own speaker wire because the ones with built in speaker wire I guess you can't extend, unless any of you know how to extend the wire in the Logitech's X-540 system.

I just don't know what i'm going to do, Anyone have any ideas or know of a really good sound system for around that price?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

How are you driving the two bookshelves? Instead of going to computer speakers - based on your description I'd do this step by step starting with a subwoofer. Maybe a Dayton Sub-120 from Parts express. Then as money allows upgrade the other pieces. Until today I ran 3 (left, right, and center) Behringer B2030P bookshelves off of an old receiver as my computer speakers. They rocked.
post #3 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I already discuses this before and it's going to cost me more than 200 dollars. I'll have to buy a new amp, new speakers, a sub. Not worth it!

I don't have much money, so I been thinking to get the Logitech X-540 5.1

It's a budget system around 70 bucks, very good reviews, seems like they would work fine for my setup and sound pretty good. The only problem is that the cable length is just not long enough but I did read that you can buy RCA extensions, I would need like 25 foot extensions. haha

So i'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't really want to spend like 400 dollars on new speakers and a sub and new amp and I just don't have the room for that stuff.
post #4 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Well I had some Logitech 5.1 speaker for the computer. With the surrounds even a few feet behind me, you never even knew they were there. I replaced them with some Behringer powered studio Truth monitors with the 8" woofer they put out alot of bass but they do take up alot of room. For music listening I wouldn't waste money on 5.1 its just not worth it, I even occasionally game on the computer and the 5.1 did nothing really.
post #5 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

I understand that, But i NEED to get these speakers of my desk. These things are huge and I don't have any room for another monitor.

But the speakers you people want me to buy are really expensive and I can't afford, not everyone has money. I can only spend 200 dollars and thats it. That includes, speakers and/or sub and amp.

And I don't want to put them on my desk, cause I need the room for my monitors. They have to be mounted on my walls.

So where would I mount these?

Anyone have any ideas what I should do?
post #6 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay I guess I misunderstood. I thought you said you have bookshelf speakers already which implied that you already have an amp or a receiver or something to power them. If that's the case then just adding a sub like the SUB-120 to your existing setup would have made a huge difference. Hanging a pair of Behringer B2030P speakers on the wall could have come later. I guess I was mistaken.

I've never heard those Logitech speakers so I can't comment on them, but the best < $200 computer speakers that I've used were Klipsch Promedia 2.1. The satellites are tiny but kick butt for their size. I used a set for about a year.

Anyway if the Logitechs use RCA cables then it looks like you're in luck. Monoprice carries 12' RCA extension cables for a $1.15ea and 25' for $1.70ea.

Good luck,
Steve
post #7 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

no I have bookshelf speakers a stupid huge receiver that it came with. I bought a mini hi-fi system a few years ago and I use it as my computer speakers, sounds fine, just can't put them on my desk anymore, I need room for my second computer monitor.
So thats why I thought about buying the 5.1 and putting a speaker in each corner of my room. But I guess that would be stupid.

The only thing I could do is buy new bookshelf speakers and that gizmo and them someday buy a sub woofer. But I still don't know if I would like that.

It's just that I been redesigning my bedroom and i'm trying to find out a really awesome way to get good high end sound in my bedroom. I listen to music like all day so I don't know what i'm going to do for under 200 dollars.

I might as well just give up on it.

I have no idea how you would even mount these heavy bookshelf speakers on the wall, I know monoprice sells them, but if I did that now, it would take all bass away and then I would have to get a sub...

it's almost easier to buy a 5.1 home theater system and be done with it.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwin View Post

no I have bookshelf speakers a stupid huge receiver that it came with. I bought a mini hi-fi system a few years ago and I use it as my computer speakers, sounds fine, just can't put them on my desk anymore, I need room for my second computer monitor.
So thats why I thought about buying the 5.1 and putting a speaker in each corner of my room. But I guess that would be stupid.

The only thing I could do is buy new bookshelf speakers and that gizmo and them someday buy a sub woofer. But I still don't know if I would like that.

It's just that I been redesigning my bedroom and i'm trying to find out a really awesome way to get good high end sound in my bedroom. I listen to music like all day so I don't know what i'm going to do for under 200 dollars.

I might as well just give up on it.

I have no idea how you would even mount these heavy bookshelf speakers on the wall, I know monoprice sells them, but if I did that now, it would take all bass away and then I would have to get a sub...

it's almost easier to buy a 5.1 home theater system and be done with it.

I run a 28" and a 20" LCD on my computer desk. My speakers are up on a bookshelf just above the monitors and are aimed down using 15 degree angle speaker stands. Anyway good luck.
post #9 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I could get some heavy duty speaker wall mounts and have them pointed down at me, but wouldn't I then need a sub?
post #10 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You stay in your bedroom all day???
post #11 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Why don't you get some tall speaker stands and put them on each side of your desk?
post #12 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

I live at home with my parents. I don't have a huge house like probably most of you do.

I thought about putting them on both sides of my desk, but I have a L desk and it's in the corner so thats a bit tricky.

I think the best idea is to get some speaker wall mounts (anyone know of good ones that have tilt, turn, you know all the adjustments for heavy bookshelf speakers?)

If I do this, i'll just get the Gizmo amp, cause it does have a subwoofer output on it so I could get a sub someday.

I think that would be the best way for me anyways, in my situation.

I still think the best solution for me is to get the Logitech Z 5500 5.1 and put each speaker in the corners of my room pointed down. I bet it would sound fine for me and I have more space on my desk.... They are expensive may take me a while to save for me, but what ever I guess...

I probably could get mini bookshelf speakers and run them all into a amp that would probably sound fine too.. That might be the better way of doing it.. more costly though.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you have "all day" in your bedroom why not pick up some extra hours at your job and get the 5500's?
post #14 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

hahahaha Only if I had a job. There isn't any jobs around where I live, I live in a small town, it's really tough.
post #15 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

So I think I finally figured out what I am going to do guys.

I found these Sony SS F5000 floor standing speakers and I read a lot of comments say they put out a good amount of bass for listening to music and thats all i'm really going to do, is listen to music.

They are floor standing which would allow me to have my room back on my desk.

However, I have an L desk and it's the corner, I would still sound fine if I put each speaker on the each end of my desk, right?

I mean it doesn't have to be perfect, it's not like i'm doing professional audio mixing or something lol. Just listening to my Punk Rock and Heavy Metal.

The only problem I am having with speakers is that I need a amp or some kind of receiver to power them.

Any ideas on a good amplifier/receiver thats fairly good but not expensive, like around 100 bucks?
post #16 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

The best wall mounts that I've used were fro PinPoint. Amazon carries PinPoint's AM10 and AM40. I've used both and they work great but the AM10 has more adjustment. For lighter speakers I've used the cheap ($10-15/pr) plastic mounts but they strain with even 10lb speakers.

Just food for thought for future upgrades. With as many people as there are out of work it's getting common to see perfectly 5-10y/o receivers on Craig's List for $50. As long as it has a digital input for connection to your computer you're styling. Again just food for thought for future upgrades the Behringer B2030P speakers that I suggested make really good budget computer speakers - they just need a receiver or amp to drive them. The 3 reasons that I suggested them 1) They sound much better than they cost. 2) They often go on sale for under $110/pr shipped. 3) Not every speaker sounds good up close like at a desk. The B2030P was intended for recording studios and sound just fine at 2 feet or 20 feet. Finally, a small sub will make a big difference with most music. Or you could go with headphones. $200 will buy you some mighty nice headphones.
post #17 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks but those just wont work for me, i'm sure they sound good. But their not ideal for my setup, I'll have to get expensive brackets, then a sub, and a receiver, just too much money.

I still think the best way for me is to get those floor standing speakers and place them on each side of my desk...

I still would need a receiver, I just don't know what receiver, was looking at Onkyo TX-8255 but it's around 150 bucks, little bit more than I wanted to spend. So I might have to buy a used one...

But I think those floor standing speakers are the best way for me.

Thats my set up right now, but I really need to get rid of those speakers so I have room for my other computer monitors and as you can almost see that's an L desk, I know, I bought it. Like I said, getting those sony floor standing speakers and placing one on each side of my desk would work. But I dunno, maybe i'm just stupid....
post #18 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

This here is cheaper than a receiver and would have more than enough to power those sonys http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=1 Plus it has a sub out too if you decide to get a seperate subwoofer.
post #19 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

That Gizmo would really power those Sony floor standing speakers?

I thought about it, but I thought those speakers might of been too big for it. If it will power them nicely, I might go this route.

I mean is there anything wrong in doing this? I'm not watching movies on it or anything, just music. Not recording or mixing, just listening to music, I'm a huge music person... lol
post #20 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes the Sonys are easy to power 8ohms, most receivers don't put out the 110watts they claim and most of the time you will only be using a few watts using an efficicent speaker. The Gizom is capable of power a 4ohm speakers so it has power to spare.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

The only thing your going to be missing is a remote, option for surrounds, and video hookups. But if your worried about just music the Gizmo is more than enough esspically for near field listening in a small room.
post #22 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well like I said before my room is only 11X11 feet it's not huge. I don't plan on adding any sound sound, yeah not having a remote would suck, but most of the time I would set the volume to a level I like and then adjust it on my computer and if need it to go louder I can just up the volume a little bit on the gizmo.

But I also like listening to my music when no one else is home, so I tend to play it pretty loud.

I don't know if the gizmo would do that for me or not.

if I have to, i'll try to spent little bit more and get this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-812
post #23 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM

You can get a descent stereo receiver like an insignia or sherwood for 100
post #24 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Here I drew a little 3d image of my desk area and two ways I can see setting up speakers.

I think I really do like the floor standing ones, but unsure how it would sound, probably would sound fine to me anyways...

I'll probably end up mounting the speakers on the wall and then later get a sub woofer...

I dunno....

post #25 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

What about these Polk Audio RTi4?

They seem like they are pretty good, maybe a little expensive. I could just get the Polk Audio Monitor 30s and then get the Polk Audio PSW10 sub woofer?

I'm not sure what would sound the best, Would it matter much if I mounted the monitors on the wall above my computer monitors pointed and angeled toward me?

You know, I still really think the floor standing ones would be my best option, I know they sound really good, ugh I just don't know what to do!!!

If I was going to just use monitor speakers then I would probably get the Behringer B2030P..

But i'm still kind of liking the tower speakers...
post #26 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Speaker stands, wall mounts and remotes seem out of budget right now. I own a pair of Polk Monitor 30's and they weight around 10 pounds(most wall mounts won't work).

I've read in this forums those Sony speakers you're considering are pretty good for music(since you are not interested in home theater) so you would just need something to power them. Therefore, you don't need a HT Receiver, a Stereo Receiver would suffice as elminster79 suggested before.

I would try to suggest a sub, which is good for music, but that's not happening so easily within the budget. Didn't know that Gizmo existed... looks interesting...

Hope you can get your system up and running

Krakhen

post #27 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

So the tower speakers are looking like a good choice for me, I don't know how good it will sound when placed at each end of my L desk. Probably will sound fine...

I was looking at the Onkyo TX-8255 It has some pretty good reviews and it's only around 150 bucks..

Anyone recommend a good budget receiver that would be great for music?
post #28 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I bet you can't beat these for the price

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-652
post #29 of 29 Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah those are pretty cheap, but I really am thinking to get those tower speakers, I think those would be the best choice to be honest...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page