Energy + Onkyo continued speaker problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good morning all... i'm a newbie over here and i would consider myself somewhat educated in audio/video but by no means know it all, which is why i'm here looking for some advice....

My setup: Onkyo 607, Energy Take Classic 5.1, Monster Powercenter

About a month ago i had a party playing the music really loud and my powercenter shut down everything, maybe because it was getting hot... but the next day i realize that one of my energy speakers was blown, sent it back and they sent me a new one...

Now today, same scenario only worse, playing the music last night, almost at max volume, everything was fine, but now today seems as if 2 of my energy speakers are blown and the surround is not even putting out any sound...

Please help... Do you think that the receiver is cranking out too much power for the speakers causing them to blow? and i need to upgrade my speakers??

The overpower after playing for a while at high volume, everything is well ventilated, do you think i need to put a small fan over the receiver??

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
You're gonna keep blowing those Take Classic speakers each time you play your receiver at max volume. They're little satellites with a 3" driver, not party speakers! I have some Take 5 sats and somebody blew one of mine by turning up the volume like that many years ago. Luckily it was under warranty and I got the tweeter replaced.

Takes are not made for loud parties!

You definitely need bigger speakers, at least bookshelf speakers. Plus when you've got a receiver at max volume you get distortion and clipping which blows your speakers.

Get some larger bookshelf speakers and turn the volume down.

Perhaps look at higher sensitivity speakers too like a Klipsch.

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you give me a few suggestions (make/model)? Bookshelfs and floor standing (keeping in mind I want to be somewhat economic

Question with the book shelfs is how do you using mount / place them? make a shelf and put them on next to the tvs?
post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Could setting the crossover in the receiver for the speakers to 150hz prevent them from being blown maybe?

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #5 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshellml View Post

Can you give me a few suggestions (make/model)? Bookshelfs and floor standing (keeping in mind I want to be somewhat economic

Question with the book shelfs is how do you using mount / place them? make a shelf and put them on next to the tvs?

Sony makes some decent bookshelf speakers/130watt. I had some and they had wall mounts on the back. A molly bolt and presto, mounted on the wall next to the flat panel. Mine were purchased at Sears for $50 a pair. Not a bad deal.

But as mentioned in an earlier post, try to refrain from near to max volume, louder is not always best.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #6 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

Could setting the crossover in the receiver for the speakers to 150hz prevent them from being blown maybe?

Usually the tweeters are the first to go and no amount of crossover manipulation is going to prevent blowing them with high volume levels.

Like afrogt said - those ain't party speakers.

Get some big ole Cerwin Vega speakers for parties.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page